English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 20 November 2003, 09:14   #21
manicx

Same here about Batman Returns. In the beginning I was trying to use every possible kick, punch to kill opponents and I kept losing after 20 secs! Then I though to use a particular punch and got further. Still shite though, it kept being boring and repetitive.
Old 20 November 2003, 13:47   #22
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
Heh oops. I still liked the C64 version of batman the movie better than the Amiga version.
Agreed, although there's arguements about how wonderful the 3D bits were in the Amiga version,against the 3D engine that was done in Lotus,they seem very average. More so,I agree that the playability,& also the more restricted C64 palette made it much more atmospheric. Which made for a unique double C64 act as The Caped Crusader game programmed by Special FX, also kicked penguin/joker ass!

Incidentally, if memory serves, I'm sure the Batman Returns game was programmed by Denton Designs & was a "original" design rather than a conversion. There's been a long sought after search for the "lost" C64 version at C64 GTW's site.

I recall The One featured Batman Returns twice, once for a WIP, & again later on for a "Pants games" feature on games that completely failed to match their preview hype,eg:Last Action Hero, Batman Returns etc.
Old 23 November 2003, 04:01   #23
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I think I managed to get at level 2 or 3 on Batman Returns.. can't remember now.. I got a little far

But it sucked hard, all way long.

The One indeed featured on wip and in the LIARS feature they had, about games that were hyped and then sucked. They also reviewed it.

This LIARS feature was interesting, one of the games featured was Total Carnage, a game that when was wipped, it was in the COVER of the magazine, and THEY stated "The conversion of the decade"

Later in the review, they said "The arcade game was already bad enough, there was no chance this game could be any good" (Or something like this).

If so, why they said the game was "The conversion of the decade" ?
Old 24 November 2003, 05:19   #24
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Maybe a few commercial $$$ thrown their way at the time of the original preview, or perhaps it was a quiet month regarding other previews, can't really remember off the top of my head. But I agree it did seem strange all the same.

Not the first time I've seen it though. Whilst I'm a huge Zzap! fan, I still remember being upset at their review of Op Thunderbolt for the C64 getting a Sizzler rating, & looking great getting good comments.
When I bought it, it not only played like crap,but looked completely different! A little bit of evidence emerged about 18months later for the budget rerelease mentioning a problem with the review version,& how a new crap version was done in record time-however unlike their claim to the contrary, Zzap NEVER made any comments on their Sizzler review being null & void.
An even more detailed apology from Robin Hogg,ex-Zzap writer on the Lemon forums finally put the record straight about what happened, but I still regard it a lowlight for Zzap!
Old 24 November 2003, 06:03   #25
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
Maybe a few commercial $$$ thrown their way at the time of the original preview
Indeed . I remember The One hyping Rise of the Robots to no end, even when they had the lame demo on their coverdisk! As soon as the game got out they slashed it to death, but up until that point they kept hyping it!!!
Old 25 November 2003, 06:20   #26
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Yep, I guess the staff-writers felt pressured by commercial interests from their publishing masters,(ie:cut the slagging of "company X's" games or we'll lose their advertising), from time to time which tend to make you respect the pioneers from each era,(ala the Gazza Penn, Julian Rignall etc. early Zzaps, or although I was not a reader of it, Amiga Power later on).

Although that didn't save Dangerous Streets from getting savaged across the board!
Old 14 August 2006, 17:51   #27
NightSprinter

Castlevania on th A500 was decent? The collision detection was so awful that it made hitting candles a chore, and I always got hit before I could kill any enemies. Combine that with choppy animation and the music tracks beign completely out of place and you have one of Novalogic's WORST ports ever. If you wanna see CV done right on a Commodore machine, give the C64 port a shot.
Old 14 August 2006, 18:22   #28
Ironclaw
Banned

Read the title and adding, if not added yet, Turtles 2 which doesn't have the music played, not just in WinUAE, but on a real amiga aswell.. both cracked and original.
Old 14 August 2006, 18:58   #29
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
need a little patching ?? ^^
Old 14 August 2006, 19:16   #30
Ironclaw
Banned

Yeah, would be great if someone patched it.. discussed a patch for turtles 2 in an old thread once.
Old 14 August 2006, 22:22   #31
Steril

some days i read that the guy who made the "Yie ar kung-fu" port for the cpc was just 13 years old at that time...

Old 15 August 2006, 20:17   #32
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Batman Returns? KONAMI? You sure?
Published by Konami and developed by Denton Designs.
It's still a crap game.
Old 15 August 2006, 20:51   #33
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
Here is a crap Konami song to go with the crap games: http://home.arcor.de/startaq/getallthepower.mp3
Old 16 January 2007, 04:32   #34
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMan
Most Konami games were great on MSX Computers but s**k on all other platforms, oh well, Gryzor on Amstrad CPC is also great

Holllllld on, RetroGahba! The MegaDrive, NES, Gameboy, GameGear, GBA, GBC, SNES, and TG16 versions of various Konami games rocked. Maybe you meant the computer versions as being shit?