English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 23 November 2017, 14:44   #1
earok

Project X: Special Edition 2.0

I got really annoyed at Project X so I spent some time this evening trying to fix some of the issues (and ease the difficulty down a little more).

* Upgrades aren't triggered by accidental wiggles. Meaning, either a keyboard, CD32 Pad or Mega Drive pad is a requirement.
* All five levels can be accessed from the start from the regular level select menu.
* Level five can now be played in rookie mode (theoretically meaning the game is beatable in rookie mode, though I haven't tested. Note that I also don't know if level five is actually any easier due to rookie mode).

Still one major outstanding issue that was in the original CD32 edition - pressing ESC on level 5 will crash (you can still game over normally though). If anyone more competent than me can jump in and fix, please go right ahead

This is based on the CD32 edition, but should work fine from an HDD IF you assign px: to the folder you've installed it to, and then run main. The initial release (no readme yet) is in the zone.
Old 23 November 2017, 14:50   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

level selection may be the best feature here, thank you
Old 23 November 2017, 15:01   #3
Amigajay

Great work Earok!
Old 23 November 2017, 16:16   #4
Aladin

Thanks

Works with slave Project-x SE CD32
http://www.whdload.de/games/ProjectXSE.html

With Retroplay archive: Replace all files and rename the file "main" to "projectx"
Old 23 November 2017, 16:42   #5
Gzegzolka

Cool, I remember that game somehow sometimes pick power-ups I do not want to pick, but I never understood why. Now I know, somebody who made it works that way must do not understand shumps. Thanks for fixing it.
Old 23 November 2017, 18:10   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
Cool, I remember that game somehow sometimes pick power-ups I do not want to pick, but I never understood why. Now I know, somebody who made it works that way must do not understand shumps. Thanks for fixing it.
I'm pretty sure who made the whole of Project-X do not understand shmups.

*Every* major flaw a shmup can have, Project-X has it. From inertia to unbalanced weapons to lack of flow to unfair difficulty to die-and-you-are-fucked syndrome, to dull enemy patterns, to nearly unkillabe enemies with default power to...........
Old 23 November 2017, 18:19   #7
s2325
Zone Friend

I think it's to make game longer, you need to learn enemy patterns and your ship features. It's different but not bad for me.
Old 23 November 2017, 18:22   #8
Gzegzolka

It is not bad game, actually I like it much despite those few cons, for me it is one of better euro shump.
Old 23 November 2017, 18:30   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I don't feel like going into a "Project-X is overrated crap" rant once more. I'll just say the only reason I can see Amigans praising Project-X is the lack of contact with proper shmups from arcades/consoles from the same era. If you were playing japanese-made shmups back at that time, Project-X feels really mediocre at best. It looks pretty and its smooth, but the gameplay and overall design is completely flawed

Even on Amiga, Apidya trumps all over it (I dare to say, even from a technical point of view... at least it has an awesome soundtrack), yet it rarely gets the praise it deserves.
Old 23 November 2017, 19:07   #10
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I don't feel like going into a "Project-X is overrated crap" rant once more. I'll just say the only reason I can see Amigans praising Project-X is the lack of contact with proper shmups from arcades/consoles from the same era. If you were playing japanese-made shmups back at that time, Project-X feels really mediocre at best. It looks pretty and its smooth, but the gameplay and overall design is completely flawed

Even on Amiga, Apidya trumps all over it (I dare to say, even from a technical point of view... at least it has an awesome soundtrack), yet it rarely gets the praise it deserves.
I love Apidya and agree it is often over looked but i feel this game too falls foul of the did and your fucked situation. Loss of levels of power ups over a couple of lives and you quickly cant kill enemies
Old 23 November 2017, 20:16   #11
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Still one major outstanding issue that was in the original CD32 edition - pressing ESC on level 5 will crash
Project X SE 2 - Level 5 quick-fix in The Zone!
Please test.

Old 23 November 2017, 20:48   #12
earok

Thanks everyone!

@Ross that does indeed work! Thanks heaps how did you find the bug, and what's the layman's explanation of what was causing it?

There is one other crash though which may or may not be worth fixing.. if you invoke the level skip cheat on that level it causes a crash (hold right mouse button, press escape and then immediately press left mouse button afterwards).
Old 23 November 2017, 22:33   #13
DamienD
Banned

As mentioned, this is why ross has a newly found exoplanet named after him
Old 23 November 2017, 23:06   #14
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
how did you find the bug, and what's the layman's explanation of what was causing it?
A bad INTENA recover, D0 moved in it instead of D7.

Quote:
There is one other crash though which may or may not be worth fixing.. if you invoke the level skip cheat on that level it causes a crash (hold right mouse button, press escape and then immediately press left mouse button afterwards).
Ok, fixed.
And so found that ALL levels are bugged, but are working by chance.
Re-upped the full package

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
As mentioned, this is why ross has a newly found exoplanet named after him
Old 23 November 2017, 23:25   #15
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
Ok, fixed.
And so found that ALL levels are bugged, but are working by chance.
Re-upped the full package
Thanks mate, you rock would you like to be credited as co-creator on this?
Old 23 November 2017, 23:34   #16
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Nah, don't worry, it was a very quick patch

Old 23 November 2017, 23:40   #17
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
You should mention "Ross 128b" anyway IMHO
Old 23 November 2017, 23:47   #18
earok

Hah! I should have slipped 128b but in any case I've got Ross in the readme and highscroe (the least I could do for the much appreciated assistance )

So the (hopefully) final build is zoned, including prepacked WHDLoad, non-WHDLoad and CD32 editions. I'll give it a home at http://earok.net/game sometime

The CD32 edition should in theory work on a CDTV - provided the CDTV has both a 2.0 kickstart and a memory upgrade.
Old 24 November 2017, 00:44   #19
DamienD
Banned

Nice work earok and ross128b!!!

<in fact ross; I'm going to ask RCK to change your memebership name>
Old 24 November 2017, 01:56   #20
NeoHippie2016
Freak

Thanks to Earok and Ross! by the way, i have both Project X/F17 Challenge CD32 CDs (V1. 0 & V2. 0) as originals. Maybe anyone know, what the Differences between them? I can't wait to test your wonderful work, Guys!!