English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 28 April 2015, 19:56   #1
grizzlyaddams

New Amiga 2000 owner and user, but I have no software.

Hi all, I grew up on various Atari computers and C64, etc. I have been rebuilding my Atari collection lately and also came into an A2000 computer, which I was interested in because of it's gaming power over the Atari ST.

It seems like a stock A2000 rev 4.2
I only have the A2000, mouse, keyboard, internal floppy and external floppy. Definitely no hard drive.

I hooked the computer up to a television using the mono port. It powers on and has a kickstart 1.2 logo and asks for a workbench disk. I do not have a workbench disk.

What are my options for getting the computer going? I ordered Workbench 1.3 set from amigakit but as it is coming from the UK and I am in the US I imagine it will be awhile.

I have read it is not possible to write ADF files using PC, as I do with my ST files. I did actually find a disk in the external drive labeled "PenPal Program." if I put this disk in, it will boot to version 1.3.2 of workbench. Is there anything I can do from here to create disks, etc?

I would also like to add a hard drive. It doesn't appear to have a built in controller, so I would have to buy one? Is a specific hard drive also required?

My other thoughts include definitely getting a gotek floppy pre-flashed, and possibly a ram upgrade card.

I've read about updating to 3.1 kickstart rom but that it could be troublesome especially with a rev 4 motherboard.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 28 April 2015, 21:31   #2
grizzlyaddams

I ordered a pre-programmed Gotek floppy from eBay and a set of WB1.3 disks from AmigaKit. Once I get that stuff I can start testing and playing with the computer.

I'm looking for the best game compatibility.

I'm considering these upgrades, in order:
1) IDE/SCSI Riser and HD (SCSI is better? Just get CF?)
2) RAM (Riser?)
3) 3.1 ROM (Need new workbench, new other?)
4) ECS (Riser or Chip?)
5) Accelerator (Riser?)
6) CD Rom

Which upgrades need drivers so I can be prepared? Anything not worth it? Anything essential I am omitting?

Are there any specific nuances to the rev 4 motherboard? I saw comments here and there but only things like "you'll have trouble."

Thanks again.
Old 28 April 2015, 23:16   #3
Turran

Personally, I would get a 3.1 rom (or atleast 2.05 to be able to boot from IDE) and stick this card in:
http://kipper2k.com/a500fastmem.html

Then you install, on your PC using WinUAE, a CF flash card with Classic WB 68k
http://classicwb.abime.net/index.htm
Lots of guides here for that, and on youtube.

And of course, my WHDLoad pack for tons of games and demos. =)
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68704
Old 29 April 2015, 01:34   #4
Franchute13

Remember remove the battery!

If you put 3.1 Rom, then, you need whdload because 3.1 Rom is not compatible with some games (and you need hard drive and more ram to load WHDload).

If you only put Gotek, you only need more ram. Most of game only need 1mega.

Of course, the best configuration is you have more RAM, Hard disk and gotek

Another recomendation, don´t put a lot of money. Search for A1200 is a better solution. Is more expandable, integrates IDE and AGA, more fast and come with more ram.

Bye
Old 29 April 2015, 09:53   #5
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchute13 View Post
Another recomendation, don´t put a lot of money. Search for A1200 is a better solution. Is more expandable, integrates IDE and AGA, more fast and come with more ram.
Totally agree. Otherwise, you'll spend thousands of dollars on it and then you sit there, almost able to play Quake on it and wondering what the hell you were thinking...

Happened to most of us I bet. It did with me and my A4000 =)

Probably better to stick with the Gotek floppy and a little more memory for the 2000. Perhaps Kickstart 1.3
Old 29 April 2015, 18:42   #6
grizzlyaddams

TBH I was researching the Amigas when I did a best offer for a price that I didn't expect the guy to take. He accepted though and here I am.

My biggest hurdles ATM are getting a color picture, and also the keyboard I received with my unit was smashed and the PCB cracked inside. I told the seller and he said he would check storage for another keyboard. They don't seem easy to find, or cheap.

I am not looking to go through the trouble of reselling this A2000 so I will probably get it up and running with a hard drive, Indivision ESC (anyone have one for sale?!), the Gotek, and a little RAM.

If I buy a A1200 or A4000 in the future I would likely keep my A2000 as well.
Old 29 April 2015, 23:42   #7
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Just want to say welcome to the Amiga.
Gotek and a little ram are fine for playing old games on a TV. No need to go for the IndiECS. Most games dont flicker and if you don't want to use PC(31KHz) monitor it's just a waste of money imho. If you can get one it's still a nice add for the 2000.
But I would buy some 1.3 or better 2.x roms.

If you ever concider getting a HDD you should go for kick 3.1,more ram(8MB), a better cpu(030) and WHDLoad.
The best way to play old Amiga games.
Old 29 April 2015, 23:49   #8
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

! Welcome on board ! the amiga is magical !
Old 29 April 2015, 23:50   #9
grizzlyaddams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post
Just want to say welcome to the Amiga.
Gotek and a little ram are fine for playing old games on a TV. No need to go for the IndiECS. Most games dont flicker and if you don't want to use PC(31KHz) monitor it's just a waste of money imho. If you can get one it's still a nice add for the 2000.
But I would buy some 1.3 or better 2.x roms.

If you ever concider getting a HDD you should go for kick 3.1,more ram(8MB), a better cpu(030) and WHDLoad.
The best way to play old Amiga games.
That's pretty much my intention, just to play Amiga games, do side by sides with my ST, etc. Biggest problem now is actually getting the image displayed on my TV or monitor. The A520 I was sold under the pretense it was NTSC was actually PAL, and I can't find a NTSC one now to save my life.

If not the Indivision ECS, what would you recommend? My TV of course has rf, composite, component, and HDMI. I also have several 31khz VGA monitors I could use, hence the Indi ECS. I thought about the cheap chinese rgb to vga converters but then I'd have to build the patch cable (not a big deal but the easier the better)
Old 29 April 2015, 23:56   #10
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

In that case I would give the indiECS a go.

EDIT:A quick search on google told me new units will/might be available again in July 2015...

EDIT2: You could still buy a pal TV(and a power converter). It would be the fastest solution and not that much more expensive.
Old 30 April 2015, 15:08   #11
voyager_1701e

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyaddams View Post
TBH I was researching the Amigas when I did a best offer for a price that I didn't expect the guy to take. He accepted though and here I am.

My biggest hurdles ATM are getting a color picture, and also the keyboard I received with my unit was smashed and the PCB cracked inside. I told the seller and he said he would check storage for another keyboard. They don't seem easy to find, or cheap.

I am not looking to go through the trouble of reselling this A2000 so I will probably get it up and running with a hard drive, Indivision ESC (anyone have one for sale?!), the Gotek, and a little RAM.

If I buy a A1200 or A4000 in the future I would likely keep my A2000 as well.
If you are having trouble getting a replacement genuine keyboard, try something like this...

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1228

I know its not the original experience, but it makes sourcing the keyboard part very easy (PS/2 keyboards are plentiful). You might also check over at AmiBay, someone might have a used one for better value for you.
Old 30 April 2015, 19:50   #12
grizzlyaddams

Yeah the PS/2 adapter is my last resort or thing to definitely pick up later as backup. I have at least half a dozen PS/2 keyboards lying around. Seeing as how most of this stuff comes from Europe that means 2 weeks to get most of it. Not a big deal but I'm anxious to get playing with this thing!

I made an Amibay account but am awaiting moderator approval before I can post.

Thanks for all your help, folks!