English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 January 2003, 18:55   #1
bleearg

Question Windows XP and WinUAE - Ethernet problems

Hi all,
I am kind of a newbie to WinUAE, but not to Amiga. I used to have an A500 and then an A1200 which subsequently broke and forced me into PC-land. I used to swear I would never use a PC and now here I am using a PC nearly every day. Anyway, I heard about WinUAE a few years ago and was successfully able to get it working on WinNT4.0 without problems. However, I now have XP and am finding that I cannot seem to get the Ethernet working on it.

It's my understanding that the BSD.socket emulation should provide this functionality, but I'm not sure how I can tell that it's working or that it even is working. Every ping program I try to install doesn't even work right and the traceroute programs I've installed do not trace to the first hop.

It's been a really long time since I've been an Amiga-lomaniac so it's very possible I am missing one *very* obvious piece to the puzzle (maybe just the fact that I'm a dumba**). I'm not new to networking at all, as that's what I do for a living, but it appears that the simple task of getting my WinUAE on the network is perplexing me.

TIA

Old 07 January 2003, 05:06   #2
RetroMan

Hmmm, try to activate BSDSOCKET.LIBRARY in WinUAE and install any Amiga Browser and try to open a website (be sure to make a connection to the Internet with your Win XP before ) ....

All those PING programs that come with various TCP/IP Stacks on Amiga (MIAMI, GENESIS, ...) are somehow not working (well, SOMETIMES they do )
Old 08 January 2003, 17:38   #3
bleearg

Lightbulb

Yeah, I did actually try this. I first downloaded Lynx, but couldn't really figure out how to install it because it didn't have an install script...I'm really *nix stupid. If it ain't got an install script, forget about it.

I also tried to install Voyager, because that's the only graphics-enabled web browser that I could find (for some reason, the Ibrowse site wasn't coming up right that day). Voyager spits out an error when I start it up saying that I was missing something like the vimgdecoder-68000 (I'm at work right now, and can't check the exact filename it's saying I was missing). I looked in the Voyager directories and found several vimgdecoders (60820, 68040, 68060, etc,) but no 68000. So I gave up on that.

I'll try to install AWeb or Ibrowse tonight, since I see that I can get to the Ibrowse site finally.

Old 09 January 2003, 03:16   #4
bleearg

Happy

Well, whaddya know? I installed IBrowse and everything works great! I'm posting with my Amiga now.

The error I am receiving with Voyager is:

Error: Voyager 3.2 (16.4.00) requires (at least) V11 of "vimgdecode_68000.vlib" in "PROGDIR:Plugins"

I checked my Plugins directory and like I stated previously, there are several "vimgdecode_68xxxx" files in there, but none that end in 68000. I checked the original archive and that didn't have it in there, either. Any ideas?

Old 09 January 2003, 03:44   #5
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by bleearg
Any ideas?
Jup Just install SnoopDos and have a look where the file is missing