English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 18 April 2018, 14:16   #41
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
There are certainly interesting things going on in Amiga land at the moment, and setting the bar of quality on the articles (including sources, links, interviews with the people involved, rather than hearsay, rumors and wikipedia cut'n'paste) would certainly attract more people to Amiga.
This is a much better way to express where you think Generation Amiga is going wrong and/or harming Amiga, rather than just slating them all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny_ View Post
Do they have an article about how Resident Evil for the Amiga is almost ready and just needing a coder now that all the graphics are done?
Is this true? I have been interested in an actual complete Amiga version of this video game title, for a long time.
Old 18 April 2018, 14:27   #42
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Do they have an article about how Resident Evil for the Amiga is almost ready and just needing a coder now that all the graphics are done?
Is this true? I have been interested in an actual complete Amiga version of this video game title, for a long time.
Old 18 April 2018, 14:27   #43
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Old 18 April 2018, 14:30   #44
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

I see so you are playing me. I wonder if this is because you knew I would bite on that bait? You knew I posted a thread about an Amiga version of Resident Evil last year.

So that is not fair play Dunny!!
Old 18 April 2018, 14:32   #45
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
I see so you are playing me. I wonder if this is because you knew I would bite on that bait? You knew I posted a thread about an Amiga version of Resident Evil last year.

And this is exactly what Generation Amiga does too. Click-bait...
Old 18 April 2018, 14:46   #46
TuKo
Apollo Team

Quote:
This isn't the case though is it! Think about it, we original Amiga followers already know about where Amiga actually is. New users don't, Generation Amiga are trying to bring new masses to the community.

OK, so not all of it they list shall ever transpire but who cares, by then the Amiga community population would have risen by a substantial margin.

Why is it harming the community? Are you trying to state that YOU and/or anyone else would stop following Amiga, just because a website published an article about Amiga, that didn't come to fruition?
As you might know, I wrote that I had to spend time to explain to potential Vampire customers that new SAGA Drivers werent doing what GenerationAmiga said they did. Some of those potential customers were just disappointed and thought we were lying (I can already see trolla jumping on that last sentence but that's not the topic...).

I do care because it is actually hurting our business.

I don't see point of catching people interest if they get disappointed later.

Taking 2 minutes to discuss with related people before posting news would have several benefits :
  • They could improve overall quality of their articles
  • They probably would get more information and latest news no other have
Exactly like AmigaFrance, AmigaImpact, Obligement, Amitopia and other sites actually do.

I'm still open to discuss with GenerationAmiga in the future to help them improve Vampire related news. They could do some much more and better...
Old 18 April 2018, 14:55   #47
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuKo View Post
Taking 2 minutes to discuss with related people before posting news would have several benefits :
  • They could improve overall quality of their articles
  • They probably would get more information and latest news no other have
Exactly like AmigaFrance, AmigaImpact, Obligement, Amitopia and other sites actually do.

I'm still open to discuss with GenerationAmiga in the future to help them improve Vampire related news. They could do some much more and better...
This is a very valid point and no doubt duly noted by Generation Amiga. I think that maybe they would be much better to take some of your suggestions, into consideration.

Thank you for a much better constructed comment on where they can improve.
Old 18 April 2018, 16:03   #48
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] So not everything they list or cover is purely correct, who cares as long as they keep Amiga in the picture and popular. [...]
I am a bit surprised MigaTech. Even if we are all smart enough « to separate the wheat from the chaff », it's hard to believe that you really don't care. As soon as they are presenting them as a "news" place, they have to be as accurate as possible OR inform that the information has « to be taken with a pinch of salt ». Any other attitude is deserving the scene.

Quote:
[...] Amiga needs more followers who maybe didn't know of its existence and like retro computers/computing. [...]
Erroneous informations is not a way to gain followers.
« One can deceive a thousand people once. But you can not deceive a person a thousand times ».

Quote:
[...] that to me, only looks to promote Amiga a lot more than most are doing.. [...]
So need factual informations. Promotion should be thought for the mid/long term. Definitively not the short one.
Look at some people ruling some countries. They make a lot of noise, now a lot of people talk about them, but at the end... nobody cares about them and they will be soon forgotten.

Quote:
[...] How many times did Amiga Power or Amiga Format print something that was never true or didn't transpire? I remember reading loads of BS from 1995 to the last edition of Amiga Format about how Amiga was going to this and that. No-one complains about that, then or now. We were just disappointed that nothing came from Commodore's demise. [...]
The comparison is not the best... As far as I remember what was printed was coming from "official/active" Amiga actors. So finally, the newspaper was only reporting "news" from "official/active" sources.

Quote:
[...] How many new people have Generation Amiga reached and brought to the Amiga community? How can this be harming Amiga?
I think that « DamienD's WinUAE Collection » brought the most of people to the Amiga community (back or new).

As a side note on your comment, I would be please to know how much "new" people have been brought to the Amiga scene these last ten years. By "new" I mean, not having a dad or mom that played back in time (indirectly promoting the computer by saying how fun/nice/etc. it was). "New" one that discovered this computer just like this or by reading something in a newspaper or in the net... Maybe worth to open a thread?...
Old 18 April 2018, 16:32   #49
Dunny

Quote:
Yeah, but it was f*cking funny tho!
Old 18 April 2018, 17:07   #50
Amiga1992

Quote:

As Marley Marl said:"So put a quarter in your ass, 'cause ya played yourself"

Dunny did exactly what GA does and you celebrate. Doesn't feel so great when you're on the receiving end of such tactics, does it?

Quote:
That link doesn't work anymore, I am guessing whoever runs that site read this thread and made a poopy post about it? Did anyone screenshot it?
Old 18 April 2018, 17:09   #51
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
That link doesn't work anymore, I am guessing whoever runs that site read this thread and made a poopy post about it? Did anyone screenshot it?
Heh, unfortunately not. And nothing in the wayback machine either.
Old 18 April 2018, 17:35   #52
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
As Marley Marl said:"So put a quarter in your ass, 'cause ya played yourself"

Dunny did exactly what GA does and you celebrate. Doesn't feel so great when you're on the receiving end of such tactics, does it?
Bet this made your day, didn't it Akira!!

OK, so I can accept that you all had a good laugh at my expense, so Dunny is a clever Fuck*r for remembering, that I did a thread on an Amiga version of Resident Evil.

As much as I do not want to admit it, yes Akira it isn't nice. But... @Dunny, I wasn't mad at your intuition, rather you made me look a complete Twat, trying to defend Generation Amiga!

I am beginning to think that maybe I am the only one on EAB, who actually doesn't hate Generation Amiga.
Old 18 April 2018, 17:45   #53
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Hate is not the word I would use, believing they are doing something wrong rather.
Old 18 April 2018, 17:56   #54
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Hate is not the word I would use, believing they are doing something wrong rather.
Sorry, yes I agree, maybe HATE is too much to state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
I am a bit surprised MigaTech. Even if we are all smart enough « to separate the wheat from the chaff », it's hard to believe that you really don't care. As soon as they are presenting them as a "news" place, they have to be as accurate as possible OR inform that the information has « to be taken with a pinch of salt ». Any other attitude is deserving the scene.
I do care obviously. I just think that if tactics help to increase the numbers, then do it. Business is ruthless, Commodore learned the hard way. Amiga deserves to remain in the race and if it means cutting the corners to do so, then so be it!

Although, when it comes to products and/or how they function, I believe it's only right that Generation Amiga contact the designers, for further information.

I must admit though, I feel somewhat out numbered in this debate!
Old 18 April 2018, 18:27   #55
Amiga1992

Quote:
you made me look a complete Twat, trying to defend Generation Amiga!
I don't think Dunny is to blame for that.
Quote:
I just think that if tactics help to increase the numbers, then do it.
[...]
if it means cutting the corners to do so, then so be it!
That is, by the way, the shit mentality that has turn the world into the steaming pile of poo it is nowadays.
The own website responding to the debate here by shitposting (and then deleting) an article titled "Generation Amiga is a populist Amiga magazine" just denotes how much lying and faking has been normalized to the point that a lot of people deem it a valid attitude. Lying and cheating is OK! As long as you get what you want!

DESPICABLE.

By the way, hot news straight from 1993: Amiga has left the "race" in the 90s.
Old 18 April 2018, 20:38   #56
Dunny

Quote:
OK, so I can accept that you all had a good laugh at my expense, so Dunny is a clever Fuck*r for remembering, that I did a thread on an Amiga version of Resident Evil.

As much as I do not want to admit it, yes Akira it isn't nice. But... @Dunny, I wasn't mad at your intuition, rather you made me look a complete Twat, trying to defend Generation Amiga!
Way to filter your swearing I'm sorry, but you don't need my help to look a tw*t.

Seriously though, your enthusiasm for the Amiga is on the one hand endearing, but your belief in the impossible and the improbable in service of that enthusiasm is cringe-worthy at best.

Nobody takes a fundamentalist seriously except for other fundies - the way to get support and spread the love for the Amiga is by researching the machine (you really need to learn what it's capable of and more importantly what it is not) and presenting levelled and cool-headed discourse that people want to engage in.

As it is, your pattern is:

1. Post
2. Defend the post from ridicule
3. Rinse
4. Repeat

And nobody ever engages you, they just take the p*ss.

The Resident Evil thing was a case in point. Rather than ask "Would it be feasible to port Resi over to the Amiga, and what would we need to sacrifice (if anything) to get that done?" you start off with "The Amiga could run Resident Evil if someone is willing to code it, who's man enough to get this done?" and then start having to defend yourself when people point out that it's really not possible without huge compromises. And even then, you don't take what the experts say on board, you just dig yourself deeper into those holes.
Old 18 April 2018, 21:33   #57
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Way to filter your swearing I'm sorry, but you don't need my help to look a tw*t.

Seriously though, your enthusiasm for the Amiga is on the one hand endearing, but your belief in the impossible and the improbable in service of that enthusiasm is cringe-worthy at best.

I fail to understand how I was making myself look like Tw*t, by simply defending an Amiga related website?

So I was seemingly going against all the Amiga community rules of engagement, by talking about keeping Amiga in the race, using certain tactics.

I am quite capable of understanding what the Amiga can and cannot do. The question would still be the same as I know the Amiga is capable of a Resident Evil port. They did loads of vector and 3D rotation graphics in the Demo scene, that looked no different to what was seen in RE. Slight modification and removal of certain redundant graphics and the port is possible.

@Akira, you never point out the good that I post, only the bad. So much so that you even shorten it to suit your point. I do not think this is fair You manipulate what I post. Yet I have always mentioned how you can be right at times and agreed with things you post. You have NEVER done this for me. Before you say it, yes there have been many times you could of done so, yet never did! Are you still mad at me over the Scream tracker incident?

This is not good practice to pick at peoples views and make that person out to be the one, always in the wrong. At the same time trying to make out that maybe they know nothing. No-one person knows everything about Amiga, some know more than others but this doesn't mean people, cannot have their say.

If Generation Amiga is to improve its content then so be it. I would admire them for making that effort, yet still like their contribution all the same. I would not dislike them, and/or make them out to be senseless idiots that know nothing of their chosen subject, just by doing it their way.

I find it so funny that people always assume they know who they are talking to, just by reading what that said person is posting. No-one knows anything by using that tactic.

We know each other only by our alias most of the time. Yet in reality, the intricate detail remains secret!

113971 what is so unique about this number? First to answer really does see the bigger picture.
Old 18 April 2018, 22:08   #58
ptyerman

Running out of popcorn here, think I'd better stock up!
Old 18 April 2018, 22:14   #59
trixster
Guru Meditating

Great thread
Old 18 April 2018, 22:16   #60
Amiga1992

Quote:
113971 what is so unique about this number? First to answer really does see the bigger picture.