English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 08 February 2011, 00:09   #441
milanca

Hello to everyone,

As i promised before, new modules, linux-side drivers have been created. Many Amithlon users suggested on missing pci_modules to be used with pcinsmodule. I completely understand how hard it would be to get sound or ethernet adaptor working without it and by an average user. I was in real rush releasing kernel4 and i didn't have much time to fix the drivers earlier. Thanks guys for your understanding.

It is now created and the drivers can be used with the same method as before. If you move to kernel 4 and about to use sound/network/serial drivers provided with this package, please remove any other linux kernel drivers you may have in your system. Module version mismatch may occur. Drivers4 are to be used only with kernel4. Pci_modules list file is in there, so the system will automatically pick and load supported driver. Please have a look at the readme file.

What's included?
----------------

* More AC97 audio codecs, including the popular ALC based chips.
* ATI/AMD based controllers in the SB400, SB600 and many others.
* Audio support functions in CMI8788-Oxygen HD Audio, Creative Labs SB X-Fi
Sound Blaster Live!

* Sound controllers as Emagic Audiowerk 2 sound card, Vortex 3D Digital Audio,
AU8820 Vortex and AU8810, ALi M5451 and others.

* NVidia nForce based LAN adaptors, nForce 2-3-4. MCP51 nForce 430/410/405/400,
MCP55 ...
* Intel LAN chips like 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R), Intel PRO/100 like 82801E Ethernet
and Intel PRO/1000 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet adaptors.
* Realtek 8169 Gigabit Ethernet support.
* Many 3Com based network controllers, Typhoon, 3Com Etherlink and Broadcom
Gigabit Ethernet adaptors.
* Marvell Yukon 2 Gigabit Ethernet support.
* and lots more...

Drivers are at the same location, sourceforge.net, under Drivers4.zip
https://sourceforge.net/projects/amithlon/files/

Previous drivers archive is removed. If you happen to have it just thrash it.

@Ratte (a1k forum)

I followed some amithlon related topics on the forum. Some users there and from several other places were not able to boot amithlon with kernel4 due to lack of SCSI drivers. Third party scsi cards are rarely used now so i removed them to keep the kernel smaller in size. In the next couple of days i will upload two kernel 4 versions, with and without third party scsi cards support.

That would be it. With these drivers we close the circle around kernel4 making it a complete release. New drivers can still be added to the list (sound and network). If you find it useful and wish to donate a small amount to support the work on the amithlon kernel project, it is possible via amithlon project pages over at sourceforge.

Regards to all and happy using your Amithlons!
-milanca
Old 09 February 2011, 00:39   #442
amigoun

Thanks for your work milanca!
Still have some problems here. When trying to run pciinsmod it states:
Loading module devs: pcidrivers/sound/soundcore.o, length 7788
Loading module devs: pcidrivers/sound/acore/snd.o, length 76232
Module devs: pcidrivers/sound/acore/snd.o failed to insert into kernel
/snd.o: unresolved symbol snd_compat_strlcpy
Error code: -1

My Amithlon startcmd looks like this:
kernel4 init=/linuxrc console_level=0 root=/dev/ram1 initrd=smallird.gz vga=769 ramdisk_size=2310 leavepages=6200
Old 10 February 2011, 14:36   #443
milanca

Hi amigoun,

Thanks for posting your test results. I really need this kind of test to see how it works on different hardware then mine.
I worked on it yesterday and i found out what is the cause. It's not good at all. Only sound modules are affected while network and serial are not. I used to compile single sound module to test it on my hardware, and there were no problems. When I compiled full package, unresolved symbols appeared. I will have to check if they are exported at all. It is typical ALSA symptom and at this point i am not sure if it caused by gcc compiler flags. Modules compiled from kernel source are fine but not those compiled from alsa sources. I tried cleaning kernel tree and building again, same thing. I will have to check if my kernel source got corrupted somehow (i doubt it) or is it only caused by alsa. I also tried with several different alsa driver packages and the same thing again. I will let know when i solve this issue regarding alsa.
What you can try now is to backup pci_modules and then to remove all the sound related ID's in the list; all of them, and only leave network and serial. To see if the network driver is loading fine.

Thanks,
-milanca
Old 11 February 2011, 20:46   #444
milanca

Hello amigoun, all !

Urghhh it was hard!! Took me 2 days of hard work to solve alsa issues. I didn't have such a problem even when i was working on the kernel. I should make notes and comments somewhere about steps i did because i might forget it, and if i ever go back to compile it, it will be hard day in hell again.
Anyways, its compiled and fully tested. I tested it on an older laptop where lan and sound could only work via kernel modules. Everything works beautifully. Lan works very well while sound has some crackles from time to time and not always, but that's how it works with kernel driver. This is how it was with my sound chip.

Please re-download drivers:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/amit...4.zip/download

There is also a new kernel with third party scsi drivers:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/amit...i.zip/download

Regards,
-milanca
Old 12 February 2011, 01:52   #445
amigoun

Hi milanca, still no go at me. Sound modules now load fine, but the amithlon audio modes doesnt show in AHI preferences. And the network module via-rhine.o is giving unresolved symbols. What is your laptop's audio and network?
Old 12 February 2011, 04:11   #446
milanca

Hi amigoun,

Its an Acer aspire 1680 here, my mobile amithlon. Uhh thats weird how it behaves on your comp. Those are the same drivers, the ones i use, compiled at the same time. Do you have amithlon_update installed, or contrib3b? Take a look in contrib3b readme to make sure all the required network and sound related files are there and at the proper place (they should be at exact locations).

This is my list of modules, after booting. Will you make a list your loaded modules and attach it for me please. Also a pcilist (very important). In the mean time will you give it a try will the kernel i uploaded recently (with scsi support) with your drivers.

I think i know what is the cause and i think you are only a few steps left from solution. You have to use the kernel i uploaded the last. I told you to give a try but you have to use it. The drivers were compiled against it. You were using previous kernel i guess. There is nothing wrong with it but it was compiled a year ago and i think with gcc-3.2.3 and i compiled drivers now with gcc-2.95.3. Thats probably the cause why they are loaded but AHI doesn't catch the sound device. Try it please, i think that is the cause.

Regarding network, download this attachment please, extract it and put it under devs/pcidrivers/net. Then open Sci_modules and look for via-rhine and replace 2 lines with these 3 (in exactly this order as here)
Code:
net/mii.o
net/crc32.o
net/via-rhine.o
Let me know if that's it. If that was the problem i will provide a drag and drop patch for the others.

Regards,
-milanca
Attached Files
File Type: zip crc32.zip (3.1 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by milanca; 12 February 2011 at 05:06. Reason: adding a possible solution
Old 12 February 2011, 14:40   #447
amigoun

My laptop is Maxdata M-Boot 1000T.
I must use kernel4, the new kernel4 scsi doesnt boot on my laptop, it hangs with black screen.
Now with the crc32 ntwork modules load fine, but computer freeze with and leds blinking forever when trying to browse net thru ibrowse/netsurf.
The grabs attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pciinsmod.png
Views:	369
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	27887   Click image for larger version

Name:	pcilist.png
Views:	370
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	27888  
Old 12 February 2011, 14:53   #448
milanca

Hi,

I see, thanks for your response. Hmm i don't see why it hangs, the kernel. It is completely the same. Some laptops have a bios bug, or there is some conflict with scsi drivers.

You have to use that kernel or otherwise drivers won't work, thats why it freezes. I am going to compile a new kernel to be used with drivers (without scsi) and upload it in the next half an hour.

regards,
-milanca
Old 12 February 2011, 15:13   #449
amigoun

Thanks foremost for your efforts, hope that will work for me.
Old 12 February 2011, 15:16   #450
milanca

You're welcome and thank you for all your tests. I also hope we can come, very soon, to an optimal solution for everyone.

Will you try it now please with this kernel:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/amit...i.zip/download
Old 12 February 2011, 16:53   #451
amigoun

It works! Now I have working sound & net. GOOD WORK! Thanks milanca!
Now if I have hw accelerated gfx instead of VESA I would be completly happy
Old 12 February 2011, 18:02   #452
milanca

Congratulations amigoun !!! As i told you, it has to work, it must, and as i suspected the problem was something about your laptop's hardware (probably the bios) conflicting with third party scsi drivers. Some users suggested to include them as they use third party scsi cards (those are cards like pci Adaptec controllers, etc, lots of them). Both of the kernels (with or without scsi) contain sata drivers, what is excluded/included is only third party scsi drivers. So if you don't have such a card then smaller kernel, without_scsi, is for you.

Hehe now who is going to fix the mess that i made at sourceforge download section :-) I will have to rearrange the files and include the readme to make it easier for the others to download. Anyways, i am glad its all sorted out because there should be no other combination to cause problems. Some network cards work just with single driver, some require mii.o, while some require crc32.o (i wanted to get rid of it but its required, it has to remain there).

amigoun, while i was looking for the solution for your problem i've made a kernel that is very much stripped down. It is not required actually but it is a custom kernel for your hardware and ~585kb in size. It contains whats needed for your laptop and generic controllers support so i could boot with it also. Enjoy ;-) For all the tests you did and helped me finalize the drivers pack. Unfortunately no support for S3 cards now. There is a chance to do something with backporting a driver from 2.6 kernel but no promises at the moment.
http://www..com/?agjknogvp4e0zc9

A screenshot with your kernel on my laptop, modules also load fine and music plays.

Now time for me to relax a bit, we did a big job. Lunch time also. My wife is also doing a great job in the kitchen. I had to say it sometime, her support means a lot and more over patience, understanding and inspiration. Thank you Ana.

Regards guys and happy using your amithlons,
-milanca
Old 12 February 2011, 22:36   #453
amigoun

Thanks milanca also for the custom kernel, I have it installed and working fine. I know that backporting S3 drivers would be hard work, really not easy to implement, I was only dreaming.. But thanks to VESA its quite fine. And now going to enjoy my newest Amithlon environment
Old 10 March 2011, 03:38   #454
fishyfish
Banned

Can anyone tell me please if the screen corruption is fixable on g31 based mobos ? Ive tried 2 and both have the same results, even when I use the exact same sound card, gfx card, nix and harddrive (ergo same settings, same os install, etc.) as a few other systems Ive tried with. My athlon64 system doesnt have the glitch, nor does my athlon xp or p3, but both core2duo machines experience this problem. Basically the top 2 or 3 inches of thescreen get jibberish gfx plastered across them. Dragging solid windows (amplifier for example)creates the corruption without fail, but so will just normal usage eventually. At the moment Im restricted to using my old athlon64 for amithlon, which does a decent job, but there's a massive difference betwen an athlon64@2.4ghz and a core2duo@3.86ghz in terms of performance and a lot of my computer interests benefit from the extra cpu power.
This occurs with both kernel3 and kernel4.
Oh incidently, backtracking to a few posts of mine ago, I finally have my pcx5300 card running with amithlon (kernel3 would crash heavily when I tried to use it), but it only gives me vesa modes (which are horrible, I really dont understand how people put up with them).
Old 18 April 2011, 19:13   #455
ck16

Hi All,

What are the chances of Amithlon running inside a VM under VMware using the latest updates?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 18 April 2011, 20:03   #456
milanca

Frankly said, no chance to run it under vmware due to amithlon's hardware usage. But really, why would you run emulator inside of an emulator? I wanted to make it work just because i wanted to test new kernel easier and faster. For regular usage it isn't the best way to run it (even if it could work) cause both winuae or euae work beautifully. I wouldn't consider amithlon just as an emulator (sure it is) but i would consider it rather as a system with a virtual processor. It sits on the linux kernel, which translates stuff, takes care of the interrupts (which is great and gives amithlon its great speed) and its core, as a virtual processor, does the rest of the job. So, no need really to run under another emulator.

Regards,
-milanca
Old 19 April 2011, 19:18   #457
gerograph

@all and Milanca

I just tried to install/test Amithlon. I need a dual boot with Windows XP. Before I start installing anything to HD I thought, I'll give it a try with smallird.gz, first.

This is what I have/had:
Hardware: Dell Lattitude E6410 Notebook
Dualboot XP+Knoppix Linux/Amigaforever KXLight
GRUB Bootmanager (done by Amigaforever/KXLight)

First attempt:
Booting in ATA mode straight from AmithlonCD -> I'll see a splashscreen and loading of smallird and then just a black screen..

Second attempt:
I just used the KXLight (Light Linux in order to run EUAE) Installation and just copied Kernel4 into /boot as well as smallird and bigird. I configured menu.lst:

Quote:
title AMITHLON Kernel4
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/kernel4 console_level=4 init=/boot/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 mem=768M vga=769 ramdisk_size=2310 leavepages=5200 cachesize=65536
initrd /boot/smallird.gz
this is my KXLight entry:

Quote:
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 init=/etc/init nomce screen=800x600 vga=788 2
initrd /boot/initrd
It boots somehow, but I get a black screen after a second...

Any idea, wether my HW is compatible to a certain degree, and how to test wether Amithlon will run or not ?

greetings gerograph

Old 20 April 2011, 00:22   #458
milanca

Hi gerograph,

If i understood you correctly, all you have to do is to use ram1 instead of ram0, if your hardware is supported by kernel4. So your menu entry should look like this:

Code:
title AMITHLON Kernel4
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/kernel4 console_level=4 init=/boot/linuxrc root=/dev/ram1 mem=768M vga=769 ramdisk_size=2310 leavepages=5200 cachesize=65536
initrd /boot/smallird.gz
tschüs ;-)
-milanca
Old 20 April 2011, 00:49   #459
gerograph

Thanx for infos.... sadly I just killed my KXLigt Partition and Grub menu. I tried to just add Grub with USB floppy disk, (like described in guide), but somehow my dell doesn't boot from floppy... I am working on it

BTW currently I disabled SATA, can I just switch it on, if Kernel 4 works, or do I need additional drivers/settings ?

tschö ;-)

Old 25 April 2011, 12:14   #460
vk3heg

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanca View Post
Frankly said, no chance to run it under vmware due to amithlon's hardware usage.
Is that on the Linux side or the emulated Amiga side? I run a server with vmware's ESXi hypervisor running three vm's (Two linux, one Win2008 srv).. Not having to have another machine in the house running would be an advantage.