English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 23 December 2019, 12:25   #1
sparhawk

Library calls after Ministartup

I was wondering which library calls can be done, after Ministartup has been used. I would assume that you should still be able to call functions like Alloc-/FreeMem, and I assume that it wouldn't make sense to use functions from the graphics library. But what about dos.library? I should still be able to i.e. load/write files on disk, or is this also a problem since interrupts are disabled?
Old 23 December 2019, 14:58   #2
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

you can't use dos.library without multitasking enabled, so yes, interrupt(s) need to be on during dos I/O. Either INT2 or 6 is generally sufficient, I can't remember which of the two.
Old 23 December 2019, 19:20   #3
phx
Natteravn

Either take over the system and write your own disk routines or let AmigaOS running and use it. Everything in between is hackish.
Old 23 December 2019, 23:28   #4
sparhawk

Are there any working samples? I would not rather like to start writing a full OS.
Old 23 December 2019, 23:55   #5
Asman

@sparhawk - In The Zone you will find an asm example of System Overtake + loading files. It works in following way.
1. Disable OS
2. Wait for LMB
3. Enable OS for loading
4. Load testfile
5. Disable OS
6. Wait for LMB
7 Enable Os --> Back To OS

If you have any question - just ask.
Old 24 December 2019, 00:24   #6
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
Are there any working samples? I would not rather like to start writing a full OS.
In a game there are not many OS functions you need. Usually you want a simple memory allocator, which is trivial if you always deallocate the memory which you last allocated, and routines for loading data from mass storage.

It also depends on the type of game. Does it have to run from hard disk or do you aim for a classical floppy-disk game (ADF). In the last case I would always suggest to use a trackloader and kill the OS completely. Otherwise do it like Asman said.

Yes, there are working trackloader samples. I released the full source for all my games.
Old 24 December 2019, 00:57   #7
sparhawk

Thanks! I was also thinking along the lines of switching off takeover for loading. Since I seem to have now a stable takeover routine, this would be one way to go. Since this is my first game, and I have to learn all from scratch, I would rather like to focus on the game, instead of the OS stuff. So I write what I need as I go along, and I guess writing a disc loader would be cool, but detracts from the main goal.
I nevertheless check the zone for @asman's file.

Currently I fight with such basic stuff as a simple copper list, so this will take a long time anyway. I have "Data Becker Intern" book, but I already found some things in the samples they provide, which appear to be wrong, when I debug it and compare it with online information. Fortunately tommorrow is finally Christmas Eve and I will get the RKM Hardware book, which I've been waiting for.
Old 24 December 2019, 10:05   #8
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
you can't use dos.library without multitasking enabled, so yes, interrupt(s) need to be on during dos I/O. Either INT2 or 6 is generally sufficient, I can't remember which of the two.

Level 2 interrupt needs to be enabled, disk DMA and (on 1.x Kickstarts only I think) blitter DMA need to be turned on as well.
Old 24 December 2019, 11:07   #9
sparhawk

From the docs I would have assumed that this should be sufficient. I was going to test it that way, but it's good to have it confirmed. Haven't thought of the blitter, though, as I thought that disk interrupt should be enough.

I wonder why the blitter is involved though. Can I not load data directly into Fast RAM?
Old 24 December 2019, 12:26   #10
ross
Per aspera ad astra

Quote:
I wonder why the blitter is involved though. Can I not load data directly into Fast RAM?
Not from floppy devices (or any device that use DMA memory and destination is outside this space).

Blitter can be used (and is on KS1.x) to decode the raw MFM data read by the disk DMA (then buffered data are CPU copied in final destination RAM).
Old 24 December 2019, 14:03   #11
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
https://github.com/flynn-nrg/tornado-amiga
Old 25 December 2019, 11:03   #12
Auscoder

Code:
INTENASET_DISK      = %1001000000001010
INTENACLR_DISK      = %0001000000001010
DMASET_DSKEN	= %1000000000010000
DMACLR_DSKEN	= %0000000000010000

*****************************************************************************************
ENABLE_DISK_IO:
	move.w	#INTENASET_DISK,$dff09a ;INTENA
	move.w	#DMASET_DSKEN,$dff096 ;DMACON
	rts

*****************************************************************************************
DISABLE_DISK_IO:
	move.w	#INTENACLR_DISK,$dff09a ;INTENA
	move.w	#DMACLR_DSKEN,$dff096 ;DMACON
	rts
I use these helpers before and after any disk io (Once the system has been taken over)

I have blitter enabled as well.
I open Dos library prior to system takeover
Close dos library after system restored - So it remains open for life of program.

Code:
OPEN_FILE:
 	movem.l	d1-d7/a0-a6,-(sp)
		bsr ENABLE_DISK_IO
		move.l _DOSBASE,a6
		jsr _LVOOpen(a6)
		bsr DISABLE_DISK_IO
	movem.l	(sp)+,d1-d7/a0-a6
		rts

READ_FILE:
 	movem.l	d1-d7/a0-a6,-(sp)
		bsr ENABLE_DISK_IO
		move.l _DOSBASE,a6
		jsr _LVORead(a6)
		bsr DISABLE_DISK_IO
	movem.l	(sp)+,d1-d7/a0-a6
		rts
I am definitely not an expert, but after some trial and error, these flags seemed to work. Note the overkill push/pop of the registers.

Last edited by Auscoder; 25 December 2019 at 11:09.