English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 23 March 2019, 20:09   #1
jmmijo

PS4 Model Questions

So since I'm still rocking an older PS3 that is mainly used as a MEDIA Player, I'm wondering if upgrading to any of the current PS4 models is a good thing but here are some questions:

1) I have an extensive Bluray collection so having a Bluray player is a must, do all of the models come with one ?

2a) Is there any support for a built-in DLNA server ?

2b) If it supports a DLNA server can I connect my external USB3 HDD's via a USB HUB and stream the media files ?

2c) If I can do the above then can I share the folders to update the media files or do I have to connect them back onto my Windows machine to update ?

3) Could be I just wanna to do something with a Rasberry Pi or maybe some other mini-barebones ?

Any feedback would be welcome, thanks
Old 25 March 2019, 12:08   #2
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

While I have regular PS4 I am not an expert in streaming nor I have DLNA server to test it. Since DLNA was started by SONY, my guess is that should work, but as I've said, I would have to install server to test it. (I might do so after spring break)

All PS4 games are BR, so assumption would be that they all play BR disks.

KODI does work well on RPi.

Speaking of KODI, this might be of some interest to you...

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Anubis; 25 March 2019 at 12:27.
Old 25 March 2019, 17:07   #3
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
While I have regular PS4 I am not an expert in streaming nor I have DLNA server to test it. Since DLNA was started by SONY, my guess is that should work, but as I've said, I would have to install server to test it. (I might do so after spring break)

All PS4 games are BR, so assumption would be that they all play BR disks.

KODI does work well on RPi.

Speaking of KODI, this might be of some interest to you...

[ Show youtube player ]
Thanks for the feedback, I will check out the video too
Old 25 March 2019, 17:12   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I believe there is going to be an XBox out soon which will not have any physical disc support to make it smaller and cheaper, maybe Sony will do something similar eventually. But I haven't see any kind of news item relating to that.
Old 26 March 2019, 04:19   #5
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I believe there is going to be an XBox out soon which will not have any physical disc support to make it smaller and cheaper, maybe Sony will do something similar eventually. But I haven't see any kind of news item relating to that.
Yep Sony is pretty much guaranteed to do the same if the new XBOX-without-a-disc sells 'well enough'.

It's inevitable that game consoles are going to go all digital unfortunately. So it will go from physical media to digital only downloads before going to streaming only

Most industry experts agree that the next generation of consoles will be the last traditional consoles.

As for which model of the PS4 to get, obviously a Pro will give you 4K streaming support which will be lacking in the base models.
Old 26 March 2019, 09:43   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The industry 'experts' said the same about the XBone and the PS4. If digital media and streaming are going to be it, then nobody will need an actual PS5 or XBox Dos to do so.
Old 26 March 2019, 16:55   #7
Daedalus

Of course they'll need new machines. They'll need the newer machines because the games they want to play will only work on the newer machines. All that's changing is how the games are loaded onto the machine, everything else including the hardware advancement between generations will continue as it is. After all, people still need new laptops to run newer software, despite the optical drive being phased out years ago.
Old 26 March 2019, 18:44   #8
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Sony's streaming service works on both, PS4 as well on PC. We tried it for 3 months about year ago, and my son liked games they offer. Since then, they offer downloads for those games, probably to avoid some gameplay lag.
Old 26 March 2019, 23:23   #9
NovaCoder

Quote:
The industry 'experts' said the same about the XBone and the PS4. If digital media and streaming are going to be it, then nobody will need an actual PS5 or XBox Dos to do so.
Maybe not...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 July 2019, 14:27   #10
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

So, did you get one yet??
Old 19 July 2019, 16:06   #11
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
So, did you get one yet??
Not yet, my PS3 is still going strong
Old 19 July 2019, 16:08   #12
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

So is my PS2, I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a PS4
Old 19 July 2019, 16:35   #13
jmmijo

Quote:
So is my PS2, I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a PS4
Sure but I really only like the Media Player part of it, I will be looking into it further when the PS5 comes out I think to see if the pricing gets a nice cut
Old 12 August 2019, 07:27   #14
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Yep when PS5 comes out, PS4 will instantly become worthless. Pick one up then if you can wait.

I'll be getting a PS5 as PSVR is said to work on BOTH, and PS5 is reported to be backward compatible with PS4 games so win win.

When I get my PS5, my PS4 will go back in its still pristine box, and in 30 years, someone can go gaga over it when my kids sell it on ebay lol.
Old 12 August 2019, 09:08   #15
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I don't know about that, I can't imagine a PS4 is going to have the same nostalgic worth to it as the currently sold retro machines. It's just too much a PC in a box for that, IMO. Plus all the online services won't work on it 30 years from now.
Old 12 August 2019, 09:37   #16
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
I don't know about that, I can't imagine a PS4 is going to have the same nostalgic worth to it as the currently sold retro machines. It's just too much a PC in a box for that, IMO. Plus all the online services won't work on it 30 years from now.
I agree and disagree.

I can't help but agree re online services. I'll have to check, but I think "maybe" you can still use a PS4 without being logged in online? I'll do a test with some of my titles.

BUT even if it is possible, the list of titles that will work is very limited. As sadly even when you buy a "disk" it's often just a launcher for the "real" install...which is a download.

So perhaps the Xbox360 / PS3 are the last that will "work" into the future?

Where I'll disagree is in principle of it never becoming a nostalgia item.

Nostalgia is not down to the product, it's down to the life experience. I am not 1 single bit nostalgic toward Atari ST. Never had one. But the Amiga.......well I had one. That's the only reason I want to have one again.

So the "us" of the future will want "whatever" they had. If they had a PS4 at around the age of 16, I bet you they'll be wanting one when they're mid 40s.

It's not a choice.

But yes sadly the challenges to that one are the technical limitations.

But hey.....here we are....people hacking Amiga's and Spectrums and C64's to almost un-recognizable machines to make them work better than ever.

So perhaps the future of tomorrows Nostalgia items, is the future community who will "just make it work".
Old 12 August 2019, 13:10   #17
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It's too bad it is not something we'll be able to put to the test any time soon, but I fully believe that the PS4 (OR XBox One for that matter) will never create nostalgic feelings for people. The machines and the games for them simply are not special enough.

Except maybe for a game or two that were exclusives. But those games are going to be very likely to be made available on newer machines, why sell a game once when you can sell it three times.