English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 June 2019, 21:46   #1
Foebane

Are drag'n'drop archives into WinUAE accessed via RDH0:?

I've been using the useful ability for WinUAE users to access archives by having them dropped into the Amiga window, and I think that RDH0: is the path to access them without knowing the filename? I'm just asking for confirmation.

EDIT: Looks like once again, Google is my friend. Searching for "winuae rdh0" shows this as the first result.

Last edited by Foebane; 20 June 2019 at 23:08.
Old 21 June 2019, 01:04   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes RDH0 has been set to my Dopus4 for a long time.
Old 21 June 2019, 01:11   #3
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
EDIT: Looks like once again, Google is my friend. Searching for "winuae rdh0" shows this as the first result.
This part of Toni's post in that thread says it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
- First on the fly inserted device name becomes RDH0:, second RDH1: and so on. Previously number was next available directory filesystem unit number.
Old 21 June 2019, 01:33   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

Forget it, you can also create a button on Dopus4 or on the Workbench to dismount (Eject) RDH0, RDH1 etc.., but also DF0, DF1 or CD0, CD1
Old 21 June 2019, 06:45   #5
Foebane

I asked because I have a series of scripts which run demos from dragged and dropped archives into the Workbench - example:

1. Look for a demo lha archive to run, like "GHOSTOWN human traffic G@56883.lha", and drag and drop it into WinUAE onto ClassicWB. An icon with the name "GHOSTOWN human traffic G@56883:" will appear on the WB desktop.

2. Look for the corresponding script to run it (makes things easier), called "GHOSTOWN human traffic G@56883.bat", and which contains the following:

Code:
CD "GHOSTOWN human traffic G@56883:"
HumanTrafficFinal
3. Double-click on this file, and then prefix "execute " onto the Execute window command, hit enter and bob's your uncle!

I wrote scripts for every single archive this way, except for WHDLoad, and it was a pain to systematically add the filename like this and to make sure that it was truncated to the 30-character limit. It also broke the whole script if the filename for the archive was altered in any way.

I didn't know about RDH0: when I did this, but now I do, I'm kicking myself that I didn't use it in the first place!

I only found out about RDH0: when I needed to know if a drag'n'drop archive appeared in WB in any way, and I believe I used an AmigaDOS command to do this, but I can't remember which one. Still, it'll be fun and simple to re-edit all of these scripts to be more robust, and then I won't have to worry about renaming the archives and scripts anymore.

EDIT: Ignore the email hyperlinks caused by my titles, it's the @ sign confusing the EAB parser, and I can't remove them.

Last edited by Foebane; 21 June 2019 at 06:51.
Old 21 June 2019, 08:29   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

RDH0: is always used for drag and drop "removable" drives. If it does not already exist.
Old 21 June 2019, 13:13   #7
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
RDH0: is always used for drag and drop "removable" drives. If it does not already exist.