English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 05 June 2019, 18:24   #41
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Chernobyl, five part mini-series.
All I can say is; absolute master piece.
Old 05 June 2019, 19:42   #42
DamienD
Global Moderator

Yup, just finished watching also.

Sooooo good and very interesting
Old 05 June 2019, 19:48   #43
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Not to mention a true horror story.
Old 05 June 2019, 19:51   #44
DamienD
Global Moderator

Definitely, I can't believe some of the stuff that occurred.

I mean, I knew of the Chernobyl accident when growing up but not the details and true scale of the damage / aftermath.

Absolute nightmare, shocking and disturbing
Old 07 June 2019, 20:25   #45
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Just done with final episode of The Expanse - very interesting where this show is going... The show might be bigger then Stargate series (SG-1, Atlantis and Universe). I like it more for bit of punk feeling with belters and MA rating.

[ Show youtube player ]

If you don't plan to watch series, watch this video at 1:24

[ Show youtube player ]

That scene is epic gruesome

Last edited by Anubis; 07 June 2019 at 20:45.
Old 07 June 2019, 22:55   #46
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I've been watching the Orville, pretty much classic Star Trek the Next Generation with a hint of Seth Mcfarlane to it. A surprisingly mild amount of Seth, it is actually a pretty hardcore throwback to the classic Star Trek that is hard on the character-driven storytelling and very soft on the crudeness, but it does dare to dwell on controversial topics. I like it.
Old 08 June 2019, 09:17   #47
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

It is mostly controversial issues - one after another.

I liked it, some funny settings there...
Old 08 June 2019, 14:49   #48
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
If you don't plan to watch series, watch this video at 1:24

[ Show youtube player ]

That scene is epic gruesome
Yes! One of my favourite death scenes in a long time!
Old 09 June 2019, 18:48   #49
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I love the movie Chef, it's a feel-good foodie movie that I revisit regularly.

So to my delight I discovered that there is now a Netflix documentary series based on that movie called the Chef Show, with Favreau hosting. It is mostly about revisiting all the dishes that are shown in the movie and showing how to make them with other celebrities tagging along while they chat about movies and whatever they are happened to be up to. Episode 1 already gave me Permanent Salivating Syndrome.

(contrary to what IMDB would have you believe, there are in fact 8 episodes in season 1).
Old 19 July 2019, 11:26   #50
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I got mesmerised by an anime series on Netflix called Kakegurui.

This is one that is more on the batshit insane spectrum of Anime shows. The premise is a caste system in a high school (how original) based on... gambling skills. The richer you are, the higher your standing. Get into heavy debt and you basically become a slave. Either you are filthy rich and you buy your way into royalty... or you do so by winning insane bets.

Then one day a hyper-intelligent and disturbed girl with a serious fetish for taking life-ending risks joins the school and uproots everything with her inane ability to gamble and see through lies and cheats. An instant threat to the established oligarchy, every episode is a new gambling battle to try and take her down.

Its your typical Anime fair... perfect looking people, awkwardly lengthy upskirt and chest shots... and just a sort of demonic vibe that I can't quite describe. It's something to behold. There is little humor in it, but that does not take away from the entertainment value.

It's just bloody good.
Old 20 July 2019, 01:18   #51
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Not a movie, nor a serie... but a book that I finished two days ago : The Magician's Apprentice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The Magician's Apprentice is a fantasy novel by author Trudi Canavan. It was published in February 2009, and is a stand-alone prequel telling a story occurring hundreds of years before her bestselling Black Magician Trilogy. It tells the story of a war between Kyralia and Sachaka through the eyes of Tessia, a young woman and magician from a countryside village. The novel won the Aurealis Award 2009 for the best fantasy novel.
To be honest, I found this little book of 770 pages (and the trilogy that follows) during the sales. The cover caught my eye and since I hadn't read any fantasy book for a long time I took the four.

This book was very pleasant to read and I didn't felt it had 770 pages as the writing is fluid and well turned. The passages between various characters/situations well dosed and placed.

If the trilogy is written in the same vein, it will be a pleasure...
Old 22 July 2019, 10:42   #52
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Cool, it's been a while since I read a good fantasy story.
Old 23 July 2019, 13:08   #53
Daedalus

I'm currently watching the mini-series of Catch-22. I've always been a fan of the book, and the series does a great job casting actors that are very much as I imagined them. If you're not familiar with the classic book, it's a funny, bizarre, yet sometimes harrowing view of the latter stages of World War Two from the perspective of a US Army Air Force bombardier as he struggles to remain sane in an environment where everyone else appears to be insane. The series does a great job of mixing the humour with the darkness of war.

One episode left It's only 6 episodes long, but that seems about right to develop the main characters and give a good appreciation of the story. Well worth a watch!
Old 23 July 2019, 13:37   #54
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

This is a thread about TV shows and in a short period of time I have two items for the reading list.

You've got to love the off-topic section.
Old 23 July 2019, 14:09   #55
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I'm currently watching the mini-series of Catch-22. I've always been a fan of the book, and the series does a great job casting actors that are very much as I imagined them. If you're not familiar with the classic book, it's a funny, bizarre, yet sometimes harrowing view of the latter stages of World War Two from the perspective of a US Army Air Force bombardier as he struggles to remain sane in an environment where everyone else appears to be insane. The series does a great job of mixing the humour with the darkness of war. [...]
Never heard about it but your feedback makes me want to watch it
I have seen that Mike Nichols made a film in 1970. As you know the book, is it worth the watch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
[...] You've got to love the off-topic section.
Everybody likes the off-topic section
Old 23 July 2019, 14:25   #56
Daedalus

I did see it many years ago, but I don't think it was all that great given that I don't really remember it, but remember parts of the book vividly. I must watch it again actually and see how it fares...
Old 01 August 2019, 14:47   #57
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Another Anime (well, sort of) that I got really hooked on is Aggretsuko. If you watch one then the next will automatically follow...

If you look at the screenshots you might be thinking: what the heck is this, My Little Pony?

Yes it has cutesy animals as characters, but those cutesy animals live pretty realistic lives with pretty realistic problems, surrounded by very recognisable character types.

The premise: the main character is a female office worker who has to deal with every day life struggles of shitty bosses, shitty colleagues, money, relationships and personal reputation, all according to some pretty realistic Japanese standards if I have to believe the few "day in the life of a Japanese office worker" Youtube videos I've seen. Absolutely nothing outrageous or unrealistic about any of it, besides the animal thing.

But here is the kicker: How does she cope with the mountains of misery that she has to endure in such a dead-end life? By grunting pure Death Metal after work and during breaks. Unexpected does not begin to cover it. Fun? Hell yes! Fun for the entire family too.
Old 01 August 2019, 19:18   #58
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

WTF??

Has anyone seen Another Life yet? Starbuck (Katee Sackhoff) from BSG new series is lead role.
Old 02 August 2019, 01:46   #59
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
WTF??

Has anyone seen Another Life yet? Starbuck (Katee Sackhoff) from BSG new series is lead role.
Nope, wasn't this a new Netflix show ?

if so then I will never watch it, I don't use the service and hardly use my Prime account either, well as far as the streaming service goes, I use Prime for computer parts and a few DVD/Bluray discs.
Old 05 August 2019, 13:13   #60
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Nope, wasn't this a new Netflix show ?

if so then I will never watch it, I don't use the service and hardly use my Prime account either, well as far as the streaming service goes, I use Prime for computer parts and a few DVD/Bluray discs.
As helpful as always...

Thanks!