English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 13 August 2015, 14:47   #1
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hämeenlinna/Finland
Age: 42
Posts: 19,939
Request: PC bridgeboard install/dos disks

PC bridgeboard official boot/install disks are nearly 100% MIA, they should be also preserved.

Commodore A1060, A2088, A2286, A2386SX included DOS disks with Janus software pre-installed. I am not sure if non-Commodore boards also included board specific DOS boot disks?
Toni Wilen is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 August 2015, 20:33   #2
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

DrBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
PC bridgeboard official boot/install disks are nearly 100% MIA, they should be also preserved.
Perhaps not "preserved" in the SPS tradition, but readily available on the Amiga Hardware Database:

http://amiga.resource.cx/dir/ibm

Quote:
Commodore A1060, A2088, A2286, A2386SX included DOS disks with Janus software pre-installed. I am not sure if non-Commodore boards also included board specific DOS boot disks?
I think these links should cover most of what you specify above:

http://amiga.resource.cx/dir/ibm

http://www.l8r.net/install/misc.html

Last edited by DrBong; 13 August 2015 at 20:43.
DrBong is offline  
Old 13 August 2015, 20:37   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hämeenlinna/Finland
Age: 42
Posts: 19,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
I think these links should cover most of what you specify above
No. PC/MS/Whatever/DOS install disks, not Amiga-side install disks. (Not .ADF)
Toni Wilen is offline  
Old 13 August 2015, 20:59   #4
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

DrBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
No. PC/MS/Whatever/DOS install disks, not Amiga-side install disks. (Not .ADF)
My apologies. I thought the zip files in the Amiga Hardware Database entries contained the DOS disks with Janus software pre-installed, but it looks to be just the standalone Janus software.

TBH I can't remember receiving DOS disks with the Janus software pre-installed for any of the C= bridgeboards/sidecars or the Vortex ATOnce boards I've bought in the past, but that might be because they were all bought secondhand. Good luck with the hunt for these disks!

Last edited by DrBong; 13 August 2015 at 21:15.
DrBong is offline  
Old 13 August 2015, 21:06   #5
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Arnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Leicester/UK
Age: 59
Posts: 3,861
The only one that has a PC disk is the AToncePlus. Not sure if it has Janus on it though.
Arnie is offline  
Old 13 August 2015, 21:21   #6
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

DrBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,210
@Arnie
Yeh, I just had a look at the C= 2088/2286 manual and it only mentions MS-DOS 3.3 and GW-BASIC being supplied on disk along with docs, but nothing about Janus.
DrBong is offline  
Old 13 August 2015, 22:52   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hämeenlinna/Finland
Age: 42
Posts: 19,939
Check Commodore_A1060-A2088_MSDOS_1987.zip in the zone. Disk label mentions "Utilities" and disk does contain for example JLINK.COM and JDISK.SYS.
Toni Wilen is offline  
Old 14 August 2015, 09:09   #8
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

DrBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Check Commodore_A1060-A2088_MSDOS_1987.zip in the zone. Disk label mentions "Utilities" and disk does contain for example JLINK.COM and JDISK.SYS.
OK, that must be the one mentioned in the C= 2088/2286 manual because the disk label mentions MS-DOS and GW-BASIC. The disk scan looks familiar, so I might have received a copy with one of the A1060s I have.

I'm guessing that kind of software would've been supplied on floppy with PC bridgeboards that were bundled with 5.25" PC disk drives, but not so much otherwise (possibly due to licensing costs). FWIW, the Big Book of Amiga Hardware indicates that these PC bridgeboards were supplied with PC software on 5.25" floppy disk:

- C= A1060
- C= A2088 (see pic of bundled 5.25" disks HERE)
- C= A2286 (but not the A2386)
- Vortex ATonce Plus (but not the original ATOnce)

Last edited by DrBong; 14 August 2015 at 09:19.
DrBong is offline  
Old 30 October 2015, 00:06   #9
demolition
Unregistered User
demolition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Copenhagen / DK
Age: 37
Posts: 3,384
I have what looks to be an unused package of the 2088/2286 BB disks, including the Janus utility disk.

I dumped the 3.5" Amiga disk, but I am having problems with the 5.25" disks in my Amiga external drive. I can see the root directory, but when I try to copy files from the disk, I just get empty files. I have never tried reading PC 5.25" disks on the Amiga before so not sure how it differs from 3.5". The disks look like DD and seeing as I can see the root, they probably are, but the question is whether they are 360kB or 720kB and if the Amiga is configured for it?

Anyway, if I can't make it work, I will be able to dump the disks in a real PC drive in a week or two.

Edit: I managed to dump them using the Amiga drive by setting the drive to 40 tracks and dumping it using TrackSaver GUI. Since the Amiga still thought it was a 720kB disk, it failed at 50%/360kB where I just canceled the operation. The images all seem good to me. I have put them in the Zone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2088.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	46015  

Last edited by demolition; 30 October 2015 at 00:36.
demolition is offline  
Old 30 October 2015, 02:03   #10
Sandro
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: spain
Posts: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I have what looks to be an unused package of the 2088/2286 BB disks, including the Janus utility disk.

I dumped the 3.5" Amiga disk, but I am having problems with the 5.25" disks in my Amiga external drive. I can see the root directory, but when I try to copy files from the disk, I just get empty files. I have never tried reading PC 5.25" disks on the Amiga before so not sure how it differs from 3.5". The disks look like DD and seeing as I can see the root, they probably are, but the question is whether they are 360kB or 720kB and if the Amiga is configured for it?

Anyway, if I can't make it work, I will be able to dump the disks in a real PC drive in a week or two.

Edit: I managed to dump them using the Amiga drive by setting the drive to 40 tracks and dumping it using TrackSaver GUI. Since the Amiga still thought it was a 720kB disk, it failed at 50%/360kB where I just canceled the operation. The images all seem good to me. I have put them in the Zone.
those are normal dos disks 3.30 you can get them on the web

the best way to image those disks is using a common PC+ a common 5.25 drive, you can do the images using the program "winimage" (IMA format)
Sandro is offline  
Old 30 October 2015, 12:23   #11
demolition
Unregistered User
demolition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Copenhagen / DK
Age: 37
Posts: 3,384
I am quite certain that the images I made with the Amiga drive in 40 track mode and put in the zone are good ones. It is just a plain image, so the same as WinImage's IMA format. I can open them in WinImage and see all the contents.

But if these were not the disks that Toni were looking for, then what was it? When I stumbled upon these disks, I just remembered seeing this thread.
demolition is offline  
Old 30 October 2015, 12:24   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hämeenlinna/Finland
Age: 42
Posts: 19,939
They are exactly the images I was looking for. They most likely will include bridgeboard specific utilities and are not "pure" dos disks.
Toni Wilen is offline  
Old 30 October 2015, 12:28   #13
demolition
Unregistered User
demolition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Copenhagen / DK
Age: 37
Posts: 3,384
I can get access to a Kryoflux so can even read them through that in case there are concerns if it is not plain formatted DOS disks, but seeing as it would read all tracks with a constant speed, I would not expect any custom format which is not typical on PC anyway.
demolition is offline  
Old 30 October 2015, 12:31   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hämeenlinna/Finland
Age: 42
Posts: 19,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I can get access to a Kryoflux so can even read them through that in case there are concerns if it is not plain formatted DOS disks, but seeing as it would read all tracks with a constant speed, I would not expect any custom format which is not typical on PC anyway.
I don't think they have any strange formatting. (not "pure" = not exactly same as official msdos disks from microsoft, they have extra OEM specific data and modifications)

But KF dump would be nice anyway, those disks aren't that common and should be fully preserved.
Toni Wilen is offline  
Old 03 November 2015, 01:41   #15
demolition
Unregistered User
demolition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Copenhagen / DK
Age: 37
Posts: 3,384
I just put the Amiga side PC-Install disk on the Zone. It seems to me that it is different from the 1.3 I can find in TOSEC. Looking through the image I can find some Danish text in there, not present in the other images, so is it possible they made localized versions of these disks?
demolition is offline  
Old 11 February 2017, 12:40   #16
demolition
Unregistered User
demolition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Copenhagen / DK
Age: 37
Posts: 3,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
But KF dump would be nice anyway, those disks aren't that common and should be fully preserved.
Forgot about this for a while, but I just put raw KF dumps + scans of those floppies in the Zone in case anyone finds them useful.
demolition is offline  
Old 25 July 2017, 23:56   #17
Mr.Oakley
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 2
Hi,
I've just picked up a 2286 bridgeboard, any chance you could reupload the software into the Zone?

Cheers
Mr.Oakley is offline  
Old 26 July 2017, 01:24   #18
demolition
Unregistered User
demolition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Copenhagen / DK
Age: 37
Posts: 3,384
Done
demolition is offline  
Old 27 July 2017, 20:49   #19
Mr.Oakley
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Done
You're a star, thank you
Mr.Oakley is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WB 3.1 install disks source support.Apps 2 24 September 2010 21:18
whdload dos disks Jimbo support.Other 9 28 August 2010 22:08
no dos disks aohovland support.Games 4 30 November 2009 12:41
Ndos disk convert to dos disks Kyon support.Other 38 12 June 2009 14:11
A2386SX bridgeboard software request coze request.Apps 1 16 July 2007 22:04

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.33578 seconds with 15 queries