English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 24 October 2013, 00:39   #61
shovel

Google and Internet Explorer.

I suppose I could uninstall and re-install. As I had problems with the upgraded version I had to install my 2009 before 2013 could be installed to over write it. So what do you think? Uninstall 2013?
Old 24 October 2013, 01:10   #62
DH
Global Moderator

Internet Explorer is your browser, and google is you web based search engine

Find the file again, or download it again from the zone, right click on it and select properties.

Tell me these two things:-
  1. Type of File:
  2. Opens With:

Then, try the same with one of the other rp9's in the game folder, and tell me what they say.

This icon should be present in he properties window of both files you check
Old 24 October 2013, 01:25   #63
shovel

General: Cannon%20Fodder%20%28Virgin%20Games%2C%201993%2C%20Amiga%29.rp9

Protocol: HyperText Transfer Protocol

Type: RetroPlatform File

Address(URL): DELETED DIRECT LINK TO THE ZONE

Definitely something wrong.

Your file is as above. No icon showing. The other from the games folder, just one mind you, did have the icon. So sommats wrong somewhere.

Last edited by DH; 24 October 2013 at 01:34. Reason: deleted direct link to zone
Old 24 October 2013, 01:39   #64
DH
Global Moderator

OMG!

You have just broken one of the golden rules regarding the zone, but I have fixed it for you, and won't be punishing you as you're evidently confused by the whole computer thing. http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=vb_...ezone_faq_item << check the last line

That is the properties of the file that is sitting in the zone right now, which is sitting on a server in France.

What I need you to do, is to download that file again, onto your computer, right click on that downloaded file which is on your computer and then to properties.

Please, try again, if you're too confused, it may be best for you to sleep on it until tomorrow morning.

Last edited by DH; 24 October 2013 at 01:47.
Old 24 October 2013, 01:52   #65
shovel

Sorry about the Zone thing. All I did was repeat what the URL was. Should have realised just by the URL it would state the address.

A N Y W A YYYYYYYYYY....I've sussed it. Just common sense. I'm 72 and still have something up there.

I went to the Zone....Left click to get the Open/Save etcetera, it was then that it hit me. As soon as I typed the path in, now whether it had something to do with WHAT path to use. I have two, but the end result is the same, or was.All I had to do was manually type in rp9 on the end....BINGO. So why was it missing by sight in the file name rather than only visible by hovering over it? Strange things these putters.

Now very last question, now that the game runs as YOU have put it. What settings have you set it to? Nah or Yeah as in unlimited lives ammo etc? Just wondering because if, like I did when I first played the game with infinite this and that, there is a mission which requires you to jump hedges in a jeep, but if you don't steer right you are left up the creek without a paddle. Meaning if you're not on a straight line when taking off to get to the other side, you crash into the hedge, jeep destroyed and your troop s in limbo with not a hope in h*ll of getting out of the mess. also in combat ammo is useless against you BUT then somehow when you fight back YOUR ammo is useless to the enemy too. So just had to ask you this before I venture on to Mission 5.

MANY THANKS. Wish I could add you to the heroes and commend you highly, of which I do.

Roger
Old 24 October 2013, 01:55   #66
DH
Global Moderator

I hate windows Explorer

Right, I have a solution for you, as explorer is you pain in the arse enemy here.

Right click the file in the zone, when the box comes up for you to save target as, you'll see the name in the box, which has now got the extension .zip, change that, and only that part, leaving all the other text the same, to .rp9, then change the save type as, to all and then click save.

\o/
Old 24 October 2013, 01:56   #67
shovel

Haha. Ships that pass in the night. Post crossed there matey.

Thing is with that file you mentioned about replacing the zip with rp9, there was no mention of zip at the end of the file. I just used my noddle that's all.

Last edited by shovel; 24 October 2013 at 02:02. Reason: After thought
Old 24 October 2013, 02:24   #68
DH
Global Moderator

As for the game cheats, they are entirely up to you, but surely that defeats the object of the original gameplay?

for me, I wouldn't use them except for maybe the level skip, in case you get stuck like you said. Other than that, enjoy

Age makes an enormous difference on forums like this, would be a good idea for you to display your age, people will become easier on you when you're struggling.

Oh! I would bin Internet Explorer, use FireFox or Chrome, then you won't have that problem again, as the file extensions will stay correctly named when downloaded, but that's a very different topic, and should not be discussed in this thread + it also depends on how confident you are in using something you're unfamiliar with too. by the way, I only found out because I, heaven forbid, ran Internet Explorer to see what it was doing and how it was naming things when saving target as.

This has got to be one of the best missions I have ever dealt with myself, it has truly been a rocky ride from the start, but the outcome is a great one, just glad I/we, including yourself, have been able to get this pretty much sorted out and you playing and saving the game you originally set out to do

Last edited by DH; 24 October 2013 at 02:30.
Old 24 October 2013, 02:52   #69
shovel

Going to do something easier now(Apart from going through this again with Desert Strike). Gonna put some numbers into my profile lol. One of the best missions eh? I would have thought you wanted to see my name vanish into the far distance. I felt I was being a right shmuck all the way through.

Still, I know what to do when stuck in the mud again. So put your helmet on and be prepared

On the cheat side, it wasn't intended to be like that, I just thought I would try it to see how far I could get. But it didn't work out all that well as I explained.

Thanks DH. Have a good sleep and if you're like me, your brain can sleep without having to think about what could be the answer to all those problems I had.
Old 24 October 2013, 07:49   #70
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
indeed inside the rp9 archive there is an extended ADF May i suggest to change the FLT crack version inside it ? My 1993's own version is the FLT crack but with save/format system patched
Old 24 October 2013, 12:54   #71
shovel

New day, new things to look forward to(NOT). There is of course CF2 to get into the bank disc stage at some time. Hope it won't be the same kerfuddle. Surely Desert Strike wouldn't be a problem too? Should I try Chrome rather than IE if trouble brews again. Still, have yet to build the bridge before I can quote the old saying.

Forward and onward>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>or is it onward and forward?-
Old 24 October 2013, 15:31   #72
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Cannon fodder 2 is actually slower to load (they have removed the MFM loading system, and use real files instead). The savedisk is now amigados so no pb here too !
Old 24 October 2013, 17:15   #73
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
indeed inside the rp9 archive there is an extended ADF May i suggest to change the FLT crack version inside it ? My 1993's own version is the FLT crack but with save/format system patched
Thanks dlfrsilver, I will definitely take a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
New day, new things to look forward to(NOT). There is of course CF2 to get into the bank disc stage at some time. Hope it won't be the same kerfuddle. Surely Desert Strike wouldn't be a problem too? Should I try Chrome rather than IE if trouble brews again. Still, have yet to build the bridge before I can quote the old saying.

Forward and onward>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>or is it onward and forward?-
Well, you're over the first hurdle, so you should now start to piece things together. The browser choice is down to preference, you can try them both (Mozilla FireFox or Google Chrome), then decide which one you like and can use more effectively than the other, this will basically be down to its GUI. The main thing is, you shouldn't suffer from extension changes that IE seems to do, when it sees a file that it defines as a particular file type and changes it accordingly, when you don't want it to.

Basically an .rp9 file archive is a .zip file archive but renamed to use in Amiga Forever, and I believe they are one of the same, and this is why IE does the switch.
Old 05 February 2014, 16:54   #74
shovel

Me again. I can't seem to be able to repeat the same instructions for my Cannon Fodder 2 of which I need the save disc again.