English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 August 2011, 16:49   #1
backtoskooldaze

read/write error?

Hi can someone please help me i am going nuts with this!
I have rebuilt A1200 in a tower with mediator 1200SX voodoo3000 and blizzardPPC card+power flyer gold 1200.
I have paritioned the 4gig hard drive using the hdtool box from the OS3.9 emergency disk so it's now got 3 partitions each being 1.3gig.I have installed OS3.9 from scratch which goes rather well.Upon rebooting i only have one cd rom detected which works ok apart from when i insert the MMCD original disk or any other disc i keep getting Volume has read/write error? This happens on the original MMCD disc and some backup discs i have.The OS3.9 works flawless and also i have checked for damaged on the cd's and there is none! I have installed OS3.1 from scratch then used the power flyer gold driver disk which then detects both my cd roms and the original MMCD is hit and miss with loading then the error and other discs apart from OS3.9?
I have kept clicking retry when the error comes up and finally got some mediators files installed like pciInfo which shows the voodoo card.

I feel there is nothing wrong with my discs but more something to do with some settings or hardware conflict?
On the AT3 settings it states my 4gig hard drive is PIO4 the master slave cd rom is PIO4 and the last cdrom is PIO4 this is what power flyer detects so i save and continue.
This error volume has a read/write error is not right as the discs work else where can anyone suggest i do or look for something in the amiga settings as there may be some kind of conflict?

Old 31 August 2011, 20:36   #2
thomas

Try to set the CD drives to PIO3. I had to do this with my FastATA4000, too. One step less than it detects automatically.
Old 07 September 2011, 03:58   #3
backtoskooldaze

read/write error

Thanks Thomas for your reply,I shall give that a go and see what happens?
I can say that i have started with a new blank disc and burn't the same files i needed and the amiga/cd roms seem to be happy with them? But the first blank cd i was burning to always report a read/write error and also the original mediator driver disc so after contacting Elbox they sent me the latest MM_CD 2.1 which i burn't to the new cd and transferred to a partition on the amiga.

I'll report back if dropping the PIO changes anything?

Cheers
Old 07 September 2011, 15:22   #4
backtoskooldaze

read/write error

Hi Thomas just a quick recap.Changing the PIO does not make a difference?I have stuck to using my new made cds and got the mediator update on a partition from elbox and everthing is working ok.
The original MMCD may have a small mark on the disc i can't see? and the other blank cd i did must have too as the pc struggles with it???or the maybe the burn speed has some affect? the drive i am using is a Pioneer Super32x and i have an LG DVD drive.

strange how the original MMCD works flawless when i first bought it back in 2003/4 but not to worry cheers Thomas for your help