English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 12 March 2005, 00:25   #1
Thunderchicken

Unhappy Trying to get Kickstart 1.3 ROM off of my A1000 with Workbench 1.3

Hello, I'm having a heck of a time trying to get my recently downloaded WINUAE emulator to work. Apparently, I need a kickstart ROM. I put transrom on a formatted 720K disk that I formatted on Windows XP Pro using the "Run" command: "format.com A: /T:80 /N:9 /FS:FAT".

Unfortunately, my A1000 using Workbench 1.3 will not read the disk. WB 1.3 is the latest version I have. If I format the disk on the Amiga, my PC will not read it and vice versa. What the heck do I do?

Old 12 March 2005, 00:56   #2
Chuckles
The Ancient One

The Amiga OS isn't capable of reading or writing to a low density IBM formatted disk without the use of special software that is not included with the OS itself. The commercial product that did this was CrossDOS, and there were other similar programs such as messydos that are public domain, and which can be found on Aminet. Of course getting those onto the Amiga poses the same problem as getting transrom onto it. It is possible to link the Amiga and a PC directly with a serial cable to do a transfer, but I believe the A1000 has a non-standard pinout for it's serial port, and if you're not careful you can fry your A1000 by using a standard cable.

It is of course far easier to get the kickstart image elsewhere, and it is included in Amiga Forever, which has a downloadable version available for purchase, which is the other legal option to dumping your own rom. Aside from that, rom images can be found online in various places for download on a not-so-legal basis. Because sites that host the roms for download often are threatened with being shut down due to copyright violations, those sites can be somewhat hard to find. Persistence pays off though if you go that route, and Google is your friend in that respect. If none of those options works for you, I suspect some kind soul might be willing to provide assistance privately though. One never knows.
Old 12 March 2005, 03:01   #3
Thunderchicken

Wink

I guess I can't make myself feel too bad about getting one of these "illegal" ROMS. Since I actually DO own one of these ROMS and just can't get it to my PC, I don't consider it stealing. After all, I'm just trying to get a copy of something I have already bought. If anyone knows an address to do find the appropriate ROM, please email me.

-Thunderchicken

"Don't lose hope -- Destroy it. At least that way, you know where it is."
-P. McDonel

Old 12 March 2005, 16:15   #4
pjhutch
Peter

To get the rom across you need a serial link from Amiga to PC and OS1.3 does not include any transfer s/w or PC disk reading disk s/w (first one with this feature is OS2.1).

http://www.pcguru.plus.com/uae_faq.html
Old 12 March 2005, 17:03   #5
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Don't forget that the A1000 has a non-standard pinout for the serial port, so a standard serial cable can't be used, else you might fry your A1000.