English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 January 2021, 11:25   #121
tarr

Lionheart was one of the greatest arcade games on the Amiga, maybe the greatest with Turrican II.
Old 13 January 2021, 17:05   #122
Gilbert

I've probably answered this before but Beast 1 looked and sounded better than Lionheart. Lionheart looked like it was trying to do what Beast did but years later. Really good looking game but didn't have the impact Beast 1 had
Old 13 January 2021, 19:40   #123
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Lionheart is lightyears ahead in gameplay mechanics, playability and level design, compared to Beast. Beast always felt 8bitish in that department. A style of substance issue, in typical Psygnosis style. Lionheart doesn't try to look and feel like Beast. It actually was a complete overhaul of their mediocre (you can maybe say crappy) Ghost Battle.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 13 January 2021 at 19:53.
Old 14 January 2021, 18:54   #124
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Holly cow, should have waited 2 months to post this exactly 15 years since last post.

Still did not change - Lionheart - one of best, if not the best Amiga platformer...

And it took this thread for me to figure out that I did not play it correctly and always ended up without Amulet @ end.
Old 23 January 2021, 09:42   #125
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
I've probably answered this before but Beast 1 looked and sounded better than Lionheart. Lionheart looked like it was trying to do what Beast did but years later. Really good looking game but didn't have the impact Beast 1 had
Beast 1 maybe was the precursor of the influencer Boris Vallejo's era: Agony, Unreal, Lionheart, Entity, etc.
Old 23 January 2021, 11:54   #126
rabidgerry

Different tastes and all that, but I'm not sure I understand people saying it was too hard, repetitive, didn't like the controls, slow. I dunno what game isn't repetitive, particularly of this variety.

Anyways I had it on the 500 back in the day and I have resisted playing it until last week, and I got to level 3 easily without having played the game in 26 years! So I never dedicated enough time to it back in the day so I guess it's been added to the favourites in iGame and I'll start to play it more now which I am looking foward to.

Oh someone said way back it has no atmosphere, fuck me! With a soundtrack like that I dunno what it takes to provide atmosphere in games for you then. I personally had forgotten the music and that was something that blew me away a little once I started playing the game again. That's superb game music right there. Very dramatic and good atmospheric tones.
Old 23 January 2021, 14:20   #127
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
I agree. On a purely visual level I think Beast is better looking than Lionheart. There's something about Nieborg's art style that doesn't appeal to me. I can see how talented he is, but I don't like it. The Lionheart character looks weird like a pound shop He-Man and his sword attack is far too short in distance. Lionheart is a better game overall though.
Old 23 January 2021, 14:31   #128
blade002
Zone Friend

I'll keep it brief.

Lionheart: Many moves, phenomenal graphics, game play is pitched perfectly, music is unconventional Amiga wise and stylish (I love conventional too)

I respect that others don't like it but for me it's a great game
Old 27 January 2021, 11:05   #129
Macca
Zone Friend

It's a good game but there are much better. In my eyes it's a basic horizontal shooter with a few platforms thrown in.

SoTB is a completely different game and more around puzzle solving - that's not a great game either.

Turrican 2, on the other hand, is probably the best platformer shooter there is on the Amiga. Even the shoot-em-up in one of the levels was better than some side scrollers I've played.

M.
Old 27 January 2021, 13:17   #130
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I like the level with the flying ship it reminds me of a snes game can't think of the name.

I don't know how I came to play this game because it doesn't really look like something I might play but I did enjoy SOB3, anyways if you have never played this then play it get use to the controls and enjoy.
Old 27 January 2021, 13:32   #131
Konrad

My opinion:

Lionheart is graphics and soundwise one of the best platformers on Amiga.
I think it also has enough variety with the water rising level, flying with the dragon and such. Still I don't feel the wish to play this game until the end. I can't put my finger on it. I think the forest stretches too long for me until finally there's a scenery change. Not sure...

SOTB has great music, and the parallax scrolling on the planes blew me away when I first played the game. But other than that it lacks. With a handful of exceptions most character designs are very poor with next to no animation frames and bland colors. Backgrounds are okeyish, but also nothing special. But SOTB sets a nice, dark mood with the level design and monsters, and I think this helps overlooking the technical points.
Still, no replay value to me, as there's not much variety. Gets boring very fast.

Turrican 2 doesn't have graphics as good as Lionheart (from a quality point of you: partly repetitive assets, boring backgrounds especially the gradients), but still appealing.
Great level design, different weapons+powerups and a great soundtrack.

Turrican 2 clearly has the best replay value of the three games.
Second Lionheart
SOTB on third place (and even lower when we would include other platformers, but this would derail the thread too much.
Old 27 January 2021, 15:10   #132
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
The Lionheart character looks weird like a pound shop He-Man and his sword attack is far too short in distance. Lionheart is a better game overall though.
I only played it briefly but hve similar feelings. If the swordplay was a little bit better and there was less precise platforming I'd like it much more. Still, I'd much, much rather play this game than SotB.

I don't get the OP though, why is this game supposed to be "wronged'? As in, "unappreciated"?
Old 27 January 2021, 16:44   #133
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I'll say this in favor of Lionheart: it definitely got movement right, especially on slopes. It looks and feels so natural.
Old 27 January 2021, 17:43   #134
rsn8887

Leveldesign, graphics, gameplay, and sound in Lionheart is way (way) above any competition on Amiga. The level designs even change if you play on Hard mode compared to Normal mode!

Also, it can be finished on Normal rather easily with just a little practice, without cheat or savestates! So it is not too hard like many other Amiga games.

Most people who hate it don't want to invest the 15 minutes to learn and practice the controls.

Best Amiga game of all time, IMO.
Old 27 January 2021, 18:21   #135
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yeah, some really strange comments about one of the best Amiga games ever.
Old 27 January 2021, 18:41   #136
Gordon
Settler

I love the controls. It reminds me of moonstone. I just wish you could save/have passwords as its too long and my hands get tired after 20minutes
Old 27 January 2021, 18:47   #137
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I love the controls. It reminds me of moonstone. I just wish you could save/have passwords as its too long and my hands get tired after 20minutes
That's where WinUAE saves your butt
Old 28 January 2021, 15:20   #138
Anubis
Retro Gamer

This topic will make me play this gem again...

Last edited by Anubis; 28 January 2021 at 17:19.
Old 14 March 2021, 11:45   #139
d4rk3lf

For me, Ruff n' Tumble is the best A500 platformer.
I loved Lionheart back in the day when I discovered it. I was like "wait, this is a gem, and I never heard of it"? And indeed, nobody from my friends that had Amiga never mentioned it, and only decades later (on this forum) I discovered it was actually quite popular.

Shadow of the beast - only 3. part I adore.
But haven't spent much time on first 2 parts to judge.

Apart from above games. I really like Arabian Nights game, and I think it's very underrated platformer, because it's also one of the games, that you can easily say, it's an arcade quality game.
Old 14 March 2021, 12:21   #140
Torti-the-Smurf

Best 16-Bit Amiga Game imho. I love evything about this game.