English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 14 July 2011, 19:54   #1
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Question about two basketball games

I am curious about the following two games:

Magic Johnson's Basketball: College MVP Data Disk
which is an Omni-Play Basketball data disk, and

BasketBall: The Pro Game

Although they lack screenshots, they appear to be two entirely different games based on the release dates and companies info. However, if you click on the review of BasketBall: The Pro Game the screenshot looks suspiciously like Omni-Play Basketball. Furthermore, there is this page that claims that Basketball: The Pro Game was just the original name of Magic Johnson's MVP. It also mentions Lance Haffner Games which adds to the confusion as that's what is mentioned in HOL too.

So my question is, how certain are we that they are not one and the same (alternate gamename)? Does anyone have the ADF of BasketBall: The Pro Game?
Old 31 August 2011, 16:25   #2
alkis21
Zone Friend

I take it nobody knows then?
Old 07 December 2016, 20:55   #3
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
I am curious about the following two games:

Magic Johnson's Basketball: College MVP Data Disk
which is an Omni-Play Basketball data disk, and

BasketBall: The Pro Game

Although they lack screenshots, they appear to be two entirely different games based on the release dates and companies info. However, if you click on the review of BasketBall: The Pro Game the screenshot looks suspiciously like Omni-Play Basketball. Furthermore, there is this page that claims that Basketball: The Pro Game was just the original name of Magic Johnson's MVP. It also mentions Lance Haffner Games which adds to the confusion as that's what is mentioned in HOL too.

So my question is, how certain are we that they are not one and the same (alternate gamename)? Does anyone have the ADF of BasketBall: The Pro Game?
Sorry for the thread necro, but........Magic Johnson's MVP data disk and Lance Haffner's Basketball: The Pro Game are indeed different. One's a data disk and the other is a full-on game release for starters. All the games from Lance Haffner were mail-order only AFAIK and never sold through retail shops in the U.S. (see games advert HERE).

The AMR review you refer to had an incorrect link. Fixed! It should've pointed to the HOL entry for Omni-Play Basketball (it was just reviewed as "Basketball" in Amiga Format for some odd reason, but the screenshot clearly gives it away as the SportTime game).

As for the old game info. from EAGER, I'm 99.9% certain it's incorrect and the former webmaster has illogically linked Omni-Play Basketball and Lance Haffner's Basketball: The Pro Game in the absence of any evidence.
Old 16 January 2017, 08:10   #4
alkis21
Zone Friend

Sorry I missed your reply. Thank you for the clarification.
Old 05 July 2017, 19:30   #5
Bultro

Is "Magic Johnson's Basketball: College MVP Data Disk" actually an expansion for "Magic Johnson's MVP"? Isn't it an expansion for "Magic Johnson's Basketball"??

Old 23 August 2017, 21:32   #6
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@alkis21
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bultro View Post
Is "Magic Johnson's Basketball: College MVP Data Disk" actually an expansion for "Magic Johnson's MVP"? Isn't it an expansion for "Magic Johnson's Basketball"??
Seems so. Thanks, fixed in HOL!

I just assumed it was a data disk for "Magic Johnson's MVP" since it was in a catalogue I got with that game. A closer look suggests that it is probably an expansion for the earlier "Magic Johnson's Basketball" instead......although the catalogue also mentions Omni-Play Basketball (aka Magic Johnson's MVP) among the other expansion disks described, so I have to wonder if it is a data disk for all three games. Suffice to say, finding an original version or even a scene release of this MIA data disk would be bloody handy!

EDIT: I found the data disk hiding in TOSEC as Omni-Play Basketball - College League Disk, and it contains all the "Omni-Play Basketball V1.1" update files on disk 2 of Magic Johnson's MVP plus the college teams and 1989 stats. It seems that it's a data disk for Omni-Play Basketball too, but can you use it to update the teams in Magic Johnson's MVP? Must test it out when I have time!

Last edited by DrBong; 24 August 2017 at 20:17. Reason: Added info!