English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 06 May 2014, 01:43   #1
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

How to add assign to the start up sequence

Hail Amiga Wizards! I need your help please. Tonight I installed civilization in my amiga 500 plus HDD (DH0:Civilization) and after the installation was complete a message window instructed me to add assigns to the game's start up sequence or something for each one of the 4 disks individually. I didn't know what this is and how to do this so I just clicked the game's icon on the disk to run it and then the game asked me for a disk to insert. It just plays only with disks after that... Can someone please explain to me exactly where and how to do the assignment for each disk in order not to need them anymore? I am a beginner (N00B in workbench) so please write as simply as possible. Many thanks!

update: I found that I need to add the lines

ASSIGN CIV1: DH0:CIVILIZATION
ASSIGN CIV2: DH0:CIVILIZATION
ASSIGN CIV3: DH0:CIVILIZATION
ASSIGN CIV4: DH0:CIVILIZATION

into a file (is it the game's executable file-the civilization icon??) and to edit the file I need to open a CLI window and type in "ed s:startup-sequence". Save & Exit is via ESC key, type "x" letter + enter. The question though is which file do I need to edit and how do I open a CLI window???

Last edited by Galder; 06 May 2014 at 02:06.
Old 06 May 2014, 04:19   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

You should really add those lines to s:user-startup rather than the s:startup-sequence file. I usually use the DEFER option too, so it's not messing up the system unless something uses them.

A real text editor like CygnusEd (CEd) might make things easier for you to edit, as it's all GUI based. Then you can just run the editor and paste these lines in at the bottom of the file:

ASSIGN CIV1: DH0:CIVILIZATION DEFER
ASSIGN CIV2: DH0:CIVILIZATION DEFER
ASSIGN CIV3: DH0:CIVILIZATION DEFER
ASSIGN CIV4: DH0:CIVILIZATION DEFER
Old 06 May 2014, 06:20   #3
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galder View Post
how do I open a CLI window???
RightAmiga-E
newshell
ed s:user-startup
Old 06 May 2014, 11:33   #4
zipper

Get a real text editor like Codetapper wrote - it makes life so much easier; ed is a pain to use. And user - startup is really meant for tweaks like yours.
Old 06 May 2014, 11:39   #5
Hewitson

I wouldn't use S-S or U-S for this job. I'd rather create a script in the game dir and run the game with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
ed is a pain to use.
I'm not saying I'd want to write a novel with it, but it's a fantastic little editor for small jobs like this. Try the UNIX version of ed if you want to see a pain to use
Old 06 May 2014, 12:17   #6
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

Thank you all for your help. As I am currently at work I'll try that later. However I am not sure If I understood correctly what I need to do. Based on your answers:

- first I need to open a CLI window

RightAmiga-E
newshell
ed s:user-startup

- then type at the bottom of the file

ASSIGN CIV1: DH0:CIVILIZATION DEFER
ASSIGN CIV2: DH0:CIVILIZATION DEFER
ASSIGN CIV3: DH0:CIVILIZATION DEFER
ASSIGN CIV4: DH0:CIVILIZATION DEFER

Is this correct? Don't I need to select a game's file to open a CLI window or I just open a CLI window anywhere?

My DH0: boots my amiga to Workbench. Can the above addition affect / mess up anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I wouldn't use S-S or U-S for this job. I'd rather create a script in the game dir and run the game with that.

I'm not saying I'd want to write a novel with it, but it's a fantastic little editor for small jobs like this. Try the UNIX version of ed if you want to see a pain to use
Could you please explain to me how to create a script in the game dir and run the game with that step by step? I will definitely do that to avoid messing up something else by modifying the sequence (if there is indeed a risk).

Sorry about my completely noobish questions...
Old 06 May 2014, 12:30   #7
Thorham
Computer Nerd

First things first, get CygnusEd from from the EAB file server: CygnusEd3.5

Really, install CygnusEd, otherwise you'll be stuck with Ed every time you want to edit some script. Ed is no way to get things done

As for the assigns, don't put them at the end of the startup-sequence file, put them after the assigns that are already in there. The end of startup-sequence has a command that ends the startup-sequence, anything that comes after that won't be executed.

Making a separate script is much better, but let's just get this working first
Old 06 May 2014, 13:46   #8
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

Thorham suggests that I should add the lines right after the assigns of the startup-sequence file, Codetapper suggests that I should add them in at the bottom of the s:user-startup file and I am completely confused now I suppose the result will be the same (?) BUT the question is, is there a risk to mess up my DF0: booting sequence (or something else from the system) in case I select the user-startup file or the startup-sequence to add them? What would be the best option?
Old 06 May 2014, 14:21   #9
ajk

Startup-sequence should be altered as little as possible, and any kind of extra stuff should go to user-startup. In some cases you need to edit startup-sequence, e.g. some utilities may need to be run at a certain stage of the boot process, but extra assigns like these are not timing critical.
Old 06 May 2014, 14:29   #10
daxb

It is not a good idea to use startup-sequence or user-startup. A startup script is the better way like mentioned already. In fact it is just a text file. First, some optimizations:

Instead of (DEFER isn`t needed if you use a script):

ASSIGN CIV2: DH0:CIVILIZATION
ASSIGN CIV3: DH0:CIVILIZATION
ASSIGN CIV4: DH0:CIVILIZATION

I would recommend at least substitute it with this:

ASSIGN CIV2: CIV1:
ASSIGN CIV3: CIV1:
ASSIGN CIV4: CIV1:

More better (if it works for you. It may OS dependent) is to use this lines:

ASSIGN CIV1: "" ; "" is a substitute of the full path of where the script lies.

The advantage is that you can move the wohle game to somewhere else and you don`t need to change the assign. And it is shorter. You may don`t want to have the game on the SYS: (DH0) partition.

How to create the startup script? Open a editor and type/paste the lines. Your script could look like this:

ASSIGN CIV1: ""
game ; this should be the name of the executable game binary
ASSIGN CIV1: REMOVE
ASSIGN CIV2: REMOVE
ASSIGN CIV3: REMOVE
ASSIGN CIV4: REMOVE

Save as... the text into the civilization game directory and name it for example "CivStart". This script can be launched in a Shell/CLI with "execute DH0:CIVILIZATION/CivStart" in case DH0:CIVILIZATION is the game path.

If you want to start the game by double click on icon you have use/make an icon of type "Project". In the icon information (get it via Workbench menu) go to "Default tool" and enter "IconX" (without quotes). This Icon is named (in this case) "CivStart.info" and is placed in DH0:CIVILIZATION. Result looks like this:

DH0:CIVILIZATION/CivStart
DH0:CIVILIZATION/CivStart.info

A double click on the icon should start the game.

About mess up anything (Workbench). You can check if the "civ" fonts are copied into SYS:fonts while installation. If you don`t want them there you can place them into civilization directory and expand the script with an assign to the fonts. Unfortunately, some old games install stuff to SYS: be default without asking.
Old 06 May 2014, 15:21   #11
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galder View Post
Thorham suggests that I should add the lines right after the assigns of the startup-sequence file, Codetapper suggests that I should add them in at the bottom of the s:user-startup file
Oh lord, I read user-startup as startup-sequence Sorry about that
Codetapper is right, of course. Bottom of the user-startup file is the proper place for those assigns.

If you're feeling up to it, you could try daxb's script explanation, if not, then the end of the user-startup file is perfectly fine.

Anyway, did you get CygnusEd?
Old 06 May 2014, 15:57   #12
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Oh lord, I read user-startup as startup-sequence Sorry about that
Codetapper is right, of course. Bottom of the user-startup file is the proper place for those assigns.

If you're feeling up to it, you could try daxb's script explanation, if not, then the end of the user-startup file is perfectly fine.

Anyway, did you get CygnusEd?
Thanks for clarifying that man, i'll try both the user file and the script. I am still at work but as soon as i will get back i will get cygnusEd too
Old 06 May 2014, 18:03   #13
Noth

For a builtin graphical editor there is memacs included with AmigaOS too. Not the prettiest, but it saves you trying to remember those obscure save commands in ed...
Old 06 May 2014, 18:24   #14
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

Hi everyone, just to say that the whole user file bussiness was successful. I'd like though to underline the effect of the " " in the path. I saw that other assigns in there had the " " so i used them too in my civilization path. There was no effect. The game kept asking for disks. When i removed them completely the game finally run without asking for disks. I mention this to help beginners like me and of course an explanation from a veteran would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08 May 2014, 14:56   #15
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noth View Post
For a builtin graphical editor there is memacs included with AmigaOS too. Not the prettiest, but it saves you trying to remember those obscure save commands in ed...
Typing x to save and quit isn't exactly obscure...
Old 08 May 2014, 15:50   #16
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Why doesn't everyone simply use a proper editor like CygnusEd? People don't do themselves any favors by using Ed. CygnusEd is a bit bare-bones, but it's great for editing those AmigaDos scripts (amongst other things).
Old 08 May 2014, 18:07   #17
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Typing x to save and quit isn't exactly obscure...
Dont forget q to quit without saving.

Learnt something new though, DEFER, never knew about that.
Old 08 May 2014, 18:36   #18
daxb

There are a lot of editors around. For most stuff like writing some text or scripts I like JanoEditor (requires OS 3.0+). It is quick and has the most common features.
Old 23 May 2014, 10:23   #19
Daedalus

Years ago I wrote a little script (or application, can't remember now) which you put in a drawer with the game disks like that. When you run it, it scans the drawer and makes an assign for each drawer in there. So if you have the drawers CIV1, CIV2, CIV3 and CIV4, it simply assigns CIV1: to CIV1/, CIV2: to CIV2/ and so on. It worked great for all those games that simply dumped all their disks into drawers... I thought it worked with CIV as well, but I see that you're looking to set all the assigns to the one drawer so it might need modification in this case.

I'll try and dig it out if anyone thinks it might be of use?
Old 01 March 2022, 09:29   #20
PatM

I realise this is an old thread but if there’s anyone still active that can help, that’d be great. I have an Amiga 500 Plus. I’ve just bought an ACA500plus and an ACA1221ec. They’re brilliant. I’ve been playing Gloom, Frontier, Formula 1 Grand Prix and all sorts of games installed on the ACA500plus’ CF card and they’ve been whizzing along beautifully.

I’ve installed Civ but the sound doesn’t work. I’ve played a full game. No sound. No sound on the opening title screen either. When I disconnect the ACA500plus and play off floppy (the big box original), the sound works (but the game runs painfully slow as it always did).

Getting the same issue with Hired Guns when installed on the ACA500plus and ACA1221ec. With that game, no intro sound (or it’s garbled) but in-game sound effects are fine. All ok when played off floppy.

For both games, I used the hard disk installers supplied on the original disks and the installs completed without error.

I’ve run a diagnostic program on the sound when the ACAs are plugged in. All fine. Every channel ok. Sound filter off and on, still ok.

Any ideas that don’t involve not using the ACAs, as they do speed up Civ in particular, which remains my favourite Amiga game?