English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 December 2018, 19:28   #221
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Indeed, the channel has different videos in different formats. The dude is actually the most down to earth reviewer I've seen yet, I especially enjoy his movie review stuff. In the other recurring shows he often refers to "the nerd" as something other than himself, AVGN is basically mr. Hyde.
Besides "The Nerd" he also has "Board James" which is another character to review Board games.

And then videos where he is just himself and its easy to see he has nothing to do with "the Nerd".
Old 10 December 2018, 19:59   #222
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
And then videos where he is just himself and its easy to see he has nothing to do with "the Nerd".
If you look at the first CD32 AVGN video, at one point the Nerd calls someone to confirm something in one of the games, and the person on the other end is James as yet another character, who, when the Nerd hangs up, calls him an asshole.
Old 10 December 2018, 20:19   #223
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
This looks like PPC/RTG to me, rather than native AGA. I can understand that, but I would never get a PPC Amiga, just go for PC instead.
Foebane You're wrong, it's not a PPC system because a PPC system on WinUAE is slower than the 68k standard.

I used WinUAE OS 3.9 040/060 RTG JIT system, but Quake3 also works well on 3.1 040/060 RTG JIT
Old 11 December 2018, 00:08   #224
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Foebane You're wrong, it's not a PPC system because a PPC system on WinUAE is slower than the 68k standard.

I used WinUAE OS 3.9 040/060 RTG JIT system, but Quake3 also works well on 3.1 040/060 RTG JIT
That's because, ultimately, your software is running on the same CPU. Any differences in speed between 68k and PPC in this case are based on which emulation core is more efficient -- which in WinUAE's case I'd assume that the 68k cores have a lot more optimization put into them -- and how efficient the 68k/ppc compilers were when they generated the original code.

Also I imagine that while PPC might be easier to emulate due to simpler architecture, 68k emulation might be inherently faster due to better code density and fewer registers.
Old 20 January 2019, 02:15   #225
hitchhikr

Evil grin CD32 user ? You gonna love this.

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Edit: added second part.

Last edited by lilalurl; 20 January 2019 at 02:49. Reason: Threads merged
Old 16 May 2020, 20:20   #226
rare_j
Zone Friend

New from AVGN is this review of Dennis - which will be familiar to anyone who tried to play this turd when it came as a pack-in game with their A1200.
He reviews the SNES version but it looks horribly similar to the AGA garbage that was meant to show off our new machines.

Seriously, one of the very worst games I have ever played and the Nerd quite rightly gives it what it deserves.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 May 2020, 21:57   #227
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

If you REALLY want to see the fireworks you should see the stream where Mike Matei plays with that game (Mike work with James and that is where i think is coming off)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 May 2023, 05:51   #228
whowasphone

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I think I can shine some light on this video. As many of you pointed out, this was intentionally negative because bad games were chosen. This is on brand with AVGN, but the review now has over 10 million views so it is probably the first thing to pop up if you search for the CD32 on youtube. It has also added to the myth that Commodore as killed by the CD32 alone.

Mike Matei wanted to make a video about The Town With No Name, and was looking for a CDTV to play it on. He came across the CD32 and a bunch of games like GLOOM, Kang Fu and Dangerous Streets on ebay. These are pretty much textbook AVGN fodder so there was never an intention to make a positive review of the console.

So these are all Mike's games and console. In fact most of the games in the Nerd room originally belonged to Mike. James is more of a film guy, he doesn't really like games all that much.

Most people assume James writes the episodes, but it has been common knowledge for a while now that Mike and later Kieran from Screenwave (the company that owns AVGN) has been writing most of the scripts.

Here is the video of Mike talking about the episode.
[ Show youtube player ]

There is a fair bit of darkness behind the scenes at AVGN, people not getting paid, friendships falling apart, racist comics, and other weird stuff. You can find a big run down of it all here

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCinemass..._new_visitors/

Last edited by whowasphone; 08 May 2023 at 06:08.
Old 08 May 2023, 08:29   #229
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowasphone View Post
James is more of a film guy, he doesn't really like games all that much.
Here's a video in which young James talks about video games: [ Show youtube player ]

AVGN is a fictional character, but there is enough evidence that James likes video games. Can't comment on the 'darkness' behind the scenes, but I would take any information on reddit with a huge grain of salt. That being said Mike is a bigger games nerd for sure and James doesn't write all the episodes himself.
Old 08 May 2023, 11:11   #230
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

You only have to watch the videos where Mike & James are playing together to see where they really stand. They celebrate the games that the nerd shits on, but its usually Mike actually finishing a game when its single player only.
Old 08 May 2023, 11:41   #231
ImmortalA1000

If you factor in the insane console price of ÂŁ299.99 (when SNES and MD could be had for less than half that in 1993) to play those utterly underwhelming CD32 games that don't even rival the top 5 Amiga 1000 compatible games in its entire library it is normal to dump on it. There was never a reason to buy a CD32, the CD soundtracks on games like Stardust or Zool II are inferior to the damned MOD tunes for a start....."what were they thinking?!" indeed. If you have crap taste in synthesizers you shouldn't be allowed to make CD soundtracks for games FACT.
Old 08 May 2023, 12:20   #232
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
If you factor in the insane console price of ÂŁ299.99 (when SNES and MD could be had for less than half that in 1993) to play those utterly underwhelming CD32 games that don't even rival the top 5 Amiga 1000 compatible games in its entire library it is normal to dump on it. There was never a reason to buy a CD32, the CD soundtracks on games like Stardust or Zool II are inferior to the damned MOD tunes for a start....."what were they thinking?!" indeed. If you have crap taste in synthesizers you shouldn't be allowed to make CD soundtracks for games FACT.
Don’t talk nonsense! CD technology was still expensive in the early 90s, the CD32 was easily the cheapest CD console on the market, nothing else was below £400, others like 3DO and Marty were closer to £600-£700. Whilst the Mega CD add-on was only £20 cheaper and you needed a £120 MD to use it.

Plus i shouldn’t have to explain to an Amiga user, they should know the fact Commodore went under stopped CD32 only games coming out later in 1994, the same fact can also be pointed it took 12 months for the A1200 to get an AGA exclusive game.

Stop with the Amiga bashing, it’s boring, and i should have thought an Amiga forum would be one place to get away from snarky comments like yours.
Old 08 May 2023, 13:10   #233
Hercules
Vodka monster.

All the CD32 titles that were bundled were old wank. Alas why the machine was doomed to failure.
Old 08 May 2023, 13:27   #234
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
All the CD32 titles that were bundled were old wank. Alas why the machine was doomed to failure.
Eloquently put
Old 08 May 2023, 15:02   #235
Aulapatchuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post

I still play Oscar. Maybe I'm and old wan... you know.
Old 08 May 2023, 16:14   #236
fryguy

Many CD32 games just contained the floppy version of on Amiga game on CD, but I suppose if you wanted a "cheap" way to play Simon and BASS talkie-versions the CD32 wasn't too bad.
But both SNES and MD probably had a lot more good games.
Old 08 May 2023, 17:07   #237
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The SNES had ~1800 official games, the MD over a 1000. "Probably" they had more good games, yeah.
Old 08 May 2023, 17:13   #238
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
The SNES had ~1800 official games, the MD over a 1000. "Probably" they had more good games, yeah.
Do you mean that 250-ish games of which a not minimal amount were shovelware doesn't match those numbers? Next you tell me water is wet
Old 08 May 2023, 19:26   #239
sokolovic

The CD32 have Frontier. That's enough.
Old 08 May 2023, 23:34   #240
Megalomaniac

The CD32 actually did pretty well in Europe on launch, understandably as it was the cheapest CD based system available, and the underlying hardware was good for 1993. There was a lot against it though - the case looked awful, the controller was uncomfortable even when you weren't using up for jump, and the not-releasing-all-the-memory-if-the-lid-is-down bug was inexcusable.

As for the games, the most important thing, you could get a lot of classic Amiga games for it, but most were A1200 games with a CD soundtrack added, and a fair few were A500 games with no enhancements. Shadow Fighter only used one controller button despite being a beat 'em up, Theme Park couldn't save, Sensi's controls were unworkable on a joypad, Super Skidmarks lacked the AGA graphics and link-up mode, Syndicate promised loads that wasn't delivered, and so on. And, other than The Chaos Engine and maybe Wing Commander, most of the bundled games were ghastly - Dangerous Streets, of all things. Realistically, none of the CD-based consoles or add-ons pre-Playstation and Saturn are anything like essential to own.