English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Modules

Old 13 October 2007, 20:43   #1
OddbOd

OldPlay: An obscure retro music player

A few days ago I was looking for some info on ports of UADE that could replace my current Cygwin compile and came across a player that I had never heard of before.

OldPlay is a multi-format, multi-platform music player designed for the GP2X handheld console and based on several well known open-source libraries, namely SDL, libsidplay1, modplug, UADE, Game Music Emu and libmad. Unfortunately the original developer Sasq's website has gone dead and the new maintainer (Micket) does not provide Windows binaries so tracking down a usable copy is a little difficult.

If you don't like DeliPlayer (does anyone?) or XMPlay/DeliX, can't be bothered building UADE and don't need a lot of features then OldPlay makes for a very reasonable alternative despite some annoying deficiencies. There's no installation required so if you don't like it just trash the bugger.

More Info: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/OldPlay (Includes complete feature description and a list of supported file types)

Download: OldPlay 1.30 (Latest version includes GP2x binary only)
Download: OldPlay 0.95 (includes binaries for GP2x and Windows)
Download: OldPlay 0.99a (Source package, should compile on any system with SDL libraries)
Old 14 October 2007, 10:16   #2
YoJoe!
Amiga Enthusiast

Sounds interesting! Why is it only for GP2x?
Old 14 October 2007, 19:08   #3
OddbOd

Good question, I guess it's because the author is not interested in building for other platforms or perhaps more obviously that most people have never heard of it. I have yet to try building it under Linux but intend to give it a try tomorrow, maybe somebody using OSX would like to do the same?

Update: Well it definitely compiles and runs under Gentoo but I'm having considerable problems getting SDL audio output to work correctly, when left at defaults I get no sound whatsoever and forcing SDL to use ALSA leads to garbled sound and segfaults.

Last edited by OddbOd; 16 October 2007 at 21:16.