English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 October 2010, 23:33   #1
chiark
Needs a life

Apple's latest innovation: full screen applications...

Well, there's a turnup for the books: Apple has just innovated!

The new OS - Lion, available Summer 2011 - will have better support for full screen apps. And multiple apps can be running that have a screen all to themselves. And you can switch between them.

Only took them 25 years: well done chaps!

(Admittedly, the Mission Control mechanism for switching looks cool, and it appears that there's no menu bar on the apps: they ought to have innovated menus that only appear when you need them

There were some damn good ideas in Workbench...
Old 21 October 2010, 00:02   #2
Paul_s

Old ideas are always the best I don't have the strength to be anti-mac tonight
Old 21 October 2010, 09:09   #3
chiark
Needs a life

I'm not anti-mac at all: my main machine is a Macbook Pro, and the HTPC is a Mac Mini .
Old 21 October 2010, 20:05   #4
Cloudane

It's about time that green "zoom" button was given an actual useful function
Old 21 October 2010, 21:11   #5
chiark
Needs a life

It'd be damn good if it were consistent in function, too!
Old 21 October 2010, 21:22   #6
Cloudane

As much as i love OSX, the Apple guidelines for UI design and consistency are very much a case of "do as I say, not as I do"
Old 22 October 2010, 10:52   #7
Beawolf
Zone Friend

Amiga scene, not Mac/Apple Scene... XD -.-
Old 27 October 2010, 01:04   #8
Christian
Zone Friend

Can't get on with OSX. Am I the only one who finds it extremely irritating to use??

Gave it a good go an everything too

Annoying and boring
Old 27 October 2010, 01:58   #9
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Can't get on with OSX. Am I the only one who finds it extremely irritating to use??
Nope, 5 minutes of it and I want to throw the machine out the window...
Old 27 October 2010, 03:51   #10
klx300r

macs
Old 27 October 2010, 04:57   #11
Siggy999

Re: Mac OSX

The last production house I worked in went over to Mac for Final Cut Pro - and although I think it was probably one of the slickest editing systems I ever used, with seamless integration from various tools I used regularly, I really WASN'T a fan of the OS at all...
Old 27 October 2010, 13:49   #12
chiark
Needs a life

The OS is different, but I'd say it's hugely similar to the Amiga in some ways, particularly the support for a good graphical and excellent command line interface.

Finder is the Mac's achilles heel: it sucks. Badly.

Once you get used to the rest of it, it's wonderful but Finder is awful.

Other than that, I think it's a wonderful OS and the better support for full screen apps is a damn fine thing.
Old 27 October 2010, 16:12   #13
th4t1guy

Full screen applications? Wow...what a horrible idea. Just like whoever came up with the full screen installer that a lot of windows programs use. Why don't they just restrict usability a little bit more and disable the keyboard while they're at it?
Old 28 October 2010, 04:52   #14
Christian
Zone Friend

Yeah, didn't see what all the fuss was about tbh...

Kinda felt like using a gui with one hand tied behind your back, so I guess the Workbench comparison is fair enough lol (for these days).

Not even particularly fast either. I was surprised after reading about this aspect of it. This is comparing like for like hardware too.

I tell you what it felt like. You know really crap documentaries, the ones that seem to be aimed at 5 year olds that have been smacked on the head ... very dumbed down .... kinda like that :P (let me hold your hand through this.... arrrgh)

Kinda pretty I guess but imo Windows 7 pisses all over it, and then some. Even had to resort to a third party app to sort the mouse speed out - I mean come on...

Oh, was using it because of Logic Pro 9, which to be fair is an old Win app that Apple have taken and made pretty good now.
Old 31 October 2010, 00:00   #15
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
Well, there's a turnup for the books: Apple has just innovated!

The new OS - Lion, available Summer 2011 - will have better support for full screen apps. And multiple apps can be running that have a screen all to themselves. And you can switch between them.

Only took them 25 years: well done chaps!

(Admittedly, the Mission Control mechanism for switching looks cool, and it appears that there's no menu bar on the apps: they ought to have innovated menus that only appear when you need them

There were some damn good ideas in Workbench...
This has been possible on PC's since XP days in 2002. The problem is nobody bothered to write any full screen serious software.

Anyway neither Windows or OS X can show two completely different screen modes at the same time like the pull down screen/background feature of WB 0.9 to 3.1 so they still have more work to do
Old 04 November 2010, 04:10   #16
gibs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
Full screen applications? Wow...what a horrible idea. Just like whoever came up with the full screen installer that a lot of windows programs use. Why don't they just restrict usability a little bit more and disable the keyboard while they're at it?
Old 04 November 2010, 19:36   #17
Photon

Watch out for the lion!

Actually, many Adobe applications are fullscreen (but in a not too well thought out way) already Both on Mac and other platforms.

This topic is quite scary, actually. Not 1 hour before coming home from work (coding iPhone apps on Mac, unrelated but anyway) I thought about 'usability' in an OS.

Juggling 17 partially overlapping windows is not really 'productive', even with a dock (which beats Alt-Tab any day). It just makes you less focused while giving the illusion of 'having it all in view'. Which could be partially possibly with a 2560px wide screen like the work computer. But, like, it still doesn't help. All that happens is that you keep windows open that you don't need, cos you're too lazy to re-open them and put them in their place. (So to speak.)

Fullscreen applications is not a bad idea at all, especially if they work like on Amiga (each have their own screen) instead of like Photoshop (app window is fullscreen and blocks everything behind it, except sometimes, and it has its own little playground of windows that somehow belong to the app and not the OS.)

That, coupled with a few small panels for time, mp3 player, status, etc (WITH NO POPUPS) would be optimal. In my very well educated opinion.
Old 04 November 2010, 21:31   #18
chiark
Needs a life

I must admit I like the fullscreen UI paradigm, and do miss it from Amiga days so I'll be welcoming this with open arms
Old 05 November 2010, 14:10   #19
vidarh

I run most apps as close to full screen as possible both on my OS X box at work and on my Linux box at home on separate spaces / virtual desktops. On both the only thing visible apart from the maximized app window is a menu bar / systray. For apps I can do it with easily, I've removed the window title bar (you can easily do this with a theme on Linux and/or by twiddling with "full screen" settings). I've got one virtual desktop set aside for file management etc. similar to having a Workbench screen.

Effectively I'm manually hacking together something that halfway sort-of tries to act like AmigaOS
Old 05 November 2010, 16:06   #20
cosmiq

Oh I love EMACS