English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 April 2010, 16:18   #1
Amiga4ever

Problems with transfering ADFs using 720k FDD disk

Hi everyone, i'm new to this board.

Recently, i took out my amiga 1200 and snes (already programmed an intro for it) and got into this retro thing.

I've also bought new PSU for my amiga and new AMIKIT mouse, and and ide flashcard/drive.

All work well, exept for ADF files.

I've used (new) floppy disk which was formatted as 720k disk to transfer files that has been splitted to the amiga and on the amiga i've joined the files and burned it to disks.

Most of the disk i've borned getting the "Not a dos disk" error. which my guess is the file is corrupted.

One this work "half way" buy running the intro and going to load screen after pressing space. but on load screen i get down-half corrupted picture.

i've tryed "hjsplit" for transfering ahd Spliter (if i remember correctly) and with all of them i get differend checksums when compering the files on the pc.

I've even joined files using the "join" command which comes with the ClassicWB and i get the same CRC result as the HJSplite joind file give but differend result then the "other" program.

I'm confsued over here. can someone direct me to the problem?

Thsnks
Old 29 April 2010, 17:06   #2
meega

Don't split/join (unless you really know what you're doing), try mashing them with the Disk MaSher to create single files small enough to transfer. Do all preliminary "Amiga" stuff on the PC under a decent emulator, such as WinUAE.

I've no idea if it will work, but full 880KB disks get reduced to single archive files easily small enough to fit into 720KB. Unmash on the real Amiga.

And, you do know about CrossDOS, don't you?
Old 29 April 2010, 17:11   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga4ever View Post
I've also bought new PSU for my amiga and new AMIKIT mouse, and and ide flashcard/drive.
I might be completely thick here, but why don't you just use that to transfer the ADFs?
Old 29 April 2010, 17:39   #4
Amiga4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by meega View Post
Don't split/join (unless you really know what you're doing), try mashing them with the Disk MaSher to create single files small enough to transfer. Do all preliminary "Amiga" stuff on the PC under a decent emulator, such as WinUAE.

I've no idea if it will work, but full 880KB disks get reduced to single archive files easily small enough to fit into 720KB. Unmash on the real Amiga.

And, you do know about CrossDOS, don't you?
what so hard at splitting files and joining them? hack, i can write my own program in 5 minutes.

i've tryed transfering compressed files. I've tryed ZIP files, but allway getting errors while trying to decompress it. seems like Archive version comptablity...

Also, instelled LHA on pc and amiga, and some files are tranferring (smaller files) but adf files give me the IO error/ bad data while trying to decompress it.
Old 29 April 2010, 17:46   #5
thomas

What do you use to read 720K disks on the Amiga ?

CrossDOS has an option to translate CRLF into LF when reading. Using this on binary files like ZIPs or ADFs is deadly of course. You should disable this option or use another software like FA95 for example.
Old 29 April 2010, 17:55   #6
meega

Quote:
what so hard at splitting files and joining them? hack, i can write my own program in 5 minutes.
If you don't want any more help, just carry on as you are.
Old 29 April 2010, 23:22   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I've used (new) floppy disk which was formatted as 720k disk to transfer files...
Hi Amiga4ever,

Are you using DSDD (1.0MB unformatted capacity) or DSHD (2.0 unformatted capacity) floppy disks for this task? Depending on the exact model of floppy drive you have in your Amiga, it may not read DSHD reliably, even when DOS-formatted to 720K capacity.

If you are using DSHD disks, try it instead with a DSDD disk to see if it solves the problem.
Old 30 April 2010, 09:27   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Sorry to bump this, but why doesn't he use the flashcard to transfer the files instead? Would circumvent the problems he has and it'll be a lot faster.
Old 30 April 2010, 09:37   #9
meega

Maybe it's internal and his case is screwed back together again.
Old 30 April 2010, 09:38   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Ah, okay. Another option might be a null-modem cable for a few bucks. Wouldn't take much longer (if at all with all the splitting/merging).
Old 30 April 2010, 09:42   #11
meega

Maybe the disks he's trying to transfer aren't DOS disks in the first place...
Old 03 May 2010, 02:13   #12
Amiga4ever

Hi everyone and thanks for the help and advices.
I found that my CF card is somehow defective.

I've trayed to repartition it and lost all data.

Now i'm breaking my head on how to partition it and format it on pc using the WinUae.

until now i've managed to "see" the drive (which is format to fat32) on HDToolBox. but when i tray to "change drive type" and scan for drive information, the information that HDToolBox manage to "read" from the card is not the correct one.

I don't know how to set it manually. i have 4G card and i don't know what is the sector size, how many "heads" and such.

Also, when i prtition it and try to save it, i get error 28... can someone help me?

thanks
Old 03 May 2010, 02:14   #13
Amiga4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by meega View Post
If you don't want any more help, just carry on as you are.
I did not intend to upset you, sorry for that.
Old 03 May 2010, 11:25   #14
thomas

Quote:
until now i've managed to "see" the drive (which is format to fat32) on HDToolBox. but when i tray to "change drive type" and scan for drive information, the information that HDToolBox manage to "read" from the card is not the correct one.

I don't know how to set it manually. i have 4G card and i don't know what is the sector size, how many "heads" and such.
How can you judge that the data is not correct when you don't know what the correct values are ?

Please list the values HDToolbox did read.

7750 / 16 / 63 / 1008 would be good values but might be too small.

Quote:
Also, when i prtition it and try to save it, i get error 28... can someone help me?
28 means the disk is write protected. You probably forgot to tick the read/write checkbox on the Add Harddrive panel.
Old 03 May 2010, 12:45   #15
Amiga4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
How can you judge that the data is not correct when you don't know what the correct values are ?

Please list the values HDToolbox did read.

7750 / 16 / 63 / 1008 would be good values but might be too small.

28 means the disk is write protected. You probably forgot to tick the read/write checkbox on the Add Harddrive panel.
Simple, becose the values i get are far from beeing logical, take a look for your self:

You are right, error 28 is write protection error, i figure that out my self. and you also right, i did not alway check the read/write check box, since it did not allow me to. but i've passed all this yesterday, and everything set as it sould be (i think).

take a look:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

now i get error -5, when traying to format the CF:

Another note:
this sime while paritioning, i did not change anything, just used what hdtoolbox automaticly defined and there was no error at saving. but it did not really save anything.

how you can help me now
Old 03 May 2010, 12:57   #16
thomas

Quote:
becose the values i get are far from beeing logical
But they are acceptable. They result in a disk size of 4.06 GB or 3.78 GiB. That's probably the real size of the CF card.

Quote:
now i get error -5, when traying to format the CF
Never never never touch the low-level-format button!! It is for old (really very old) SCSI disks only. Never use it for anything rather modern, especially if SCSI is not involved.

Partitions are formatted through Workbench. When you have saved the partition table, reboot, wait until the DH0:unformatted icons appear, select one at a time and choose "format disk" from the menu. In the format program, use Quick format. Never fully format a flash memory card!

Quote:
but it did not really save anything.
Not sure what you mean by that. You need to reboot to make new partitions active.
Old 03 May 2010, 14:13   #17
StarEye
Zone Friend

If you're having trouble reading the DSHD disks on the Amiga, make sure you close up the hole on top left corner (not the read/write switch). If you use a piece of duct or gaffa tape to cover up the hole, it will be recognized as a DSDD disk. Not 100% reliable, compared to real DSDD disks, but it works for the most part.

Reminds me of the time when I bought single sided 5 1/4 disks and used a specialized cutter to turn them into double sided disks (for my C64).
Old 03 May 2010, 20:04   #18
Amiga4ever

Quote:
But they are acceptable. They result in a disk size of 4.06 GB or 3.78 GiB. That's probably the real size of the CF card.

Never never never touch the low-level-format button!! It is for old (really very old) SCSI disks only. Never use it for anything rather modern, especially if SCSI is not involved.

Partitions are formatted through Workbench. When you have saved the partition table, reboot, wait until the DH0:unformatted icons appear, select one at a time and choose "format disk" from the menu. In the format program, use Quick format. Never fully format a flash memory card!

Not sure what you mean by that. You need to reboot to make new partitions active.
i mean, when i tray to safe the partitioning , the WinUAE display "harddrvie: block zero write failed!" error.

a picture below:
Old 03 May 2010, 20:33   #19
thomas

The message comes from Window, so it is a Windows problem and has nothing to do with HDToolbox.

Make sure that no anti virus software is running which protects boot blocks from being overwritten.

Try this to remove any Windows traces from the CF card: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=627622#post627622
Old 03 May 2010, 20:41   #20
Amiga4ever

Quote:
The message comes from Window, so it is a Windows problem and has nothing to do with HDToolbox.

Make sure that no anti virus software is running which protects boot blocks from being overwritten.

Try this to remove any Windows traces from the CF card: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=627622#post627622
If it was an antivirus program, then i would get an error from that program. but since it's a windows program, it seem like there is a problem writing to the card in overall. don't you think so?