English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 25 September 2018, 00:54   #2161
Dunny

I'd be Ok with kicking them off after 12 hours tbh. Or after each file they have downloaded completes.
Old 25 September 2018, 01:01   #2162
DH
Global Moderator

Actually Dunny, that's a better solution, kick off after download or after 12hrs, whichever is the soonest. Oh, and unable to log back in for say 15 minutes.

Of course they'll have to be limited to 1 download at a time (if that isn't already implemented) or they'll get kicked off midway through the second,or more, downloads.
Old 25 September 2018, 01:17   #2163
DamienD
Banned

Yeah, I was being generous with 72 hours really... but given that the download speed is only maximum 50kb/sec, they aren't doing real EAB FTP members any harm.

...but they are for others in the same situation i.e. if you are an anonymous user then you don't have much of a chance of ever getting connected with some people staying attached for days / months

I'm sure Turran will come up with a fair / viable solution but do please still give your opinions

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saying all of the above; I also think EAB FTP users shouldn't be connected for more than 5 days consistently; that's crazy and probably an attempt to leech everything in a short space of time for some unknown reason...

Yes, I'm looking at these people who are month upon month consistently smashing the EAB File Server and at the top of every "download" list available (day / week / month / all time)

Code:
.--------------------------------------------------------------------=-.
| ## User         Location/Tagline         Files  Megabytes   Avg k/s   |
|-=-------------------------------------------------------------------=-|
[01] pgovotsos    pgovotsos              963,965 3,869,62MB    750K/s
[03] icycool      icycool                593,012 1,137,45MB    210K/s
[04] drwhy        drwhy                  560,612  996,585MB   1096K/s
Bet none of you have even bothered to donate towards Turran's running costs / upgrades
Old 25 September 2018, 01:20   #2164
DH
Global Moderator

Bleeding leechers, they're everywhere

Why on earth would someone want to leech everything from the ftp, it's not like they'll be able to use or view everything they get in their lifetime, jesus, it'll take about 3 lifetimes to sift through everything
Old 25 September 2018, 14:04   #2165
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Turran; maybe it's a good idea to kick anonymous users off the server after 3 days of constant connection if possible?

I usually do that manually and give them a nice little temporary ban in the firewall to prevent them from logging in again for a day or two.

But no automated system for it in place.

Quote:
...as you can see, some anonymous users have been connected for 153 and 79 days straight trying to leech as much as they can

Its 154 and 79 hours, not days =) I've been lazy kicking.

Quote:
Bet none of you have even bothered to donate towards Turran's running costs / upgrades
pgovotsos is OK. Hes donated quite a bit because hes local backup crashed that he'd already downloaded over the months. We came to an arrangement so he could download it again as it was easier that way (Why he wants a full backup is another question, but I did not really care, heh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
Actually Dunny, that's a better solution, kick off after download or after 12hrs, whichever is the soonest. Oh, and unable to log back in for say 15 minutes.
While kicking after <minutes> is not a problem, preventing them from logging in can only be done in the firewall and not as easy to script. Just kicking does not do much because they have a login-retry limit of 0 seconds so they usually get the free slot themselves when trying again. I tried it but all it did was kick them and they logged back in, now with a reset "time online" timer.
Edit: Actually, might be able to do this, giving them a temporary ban to allow someone else to pick up the empty slot. I'll look into it.

Last edited by Turran; 25 September 2018 at 14:18.
Old 01 October 2018, 20:38   #2166
Decker

I'd dearly like to be a real EAB user. My post count is high enough, and my last post date recent enough.

But when I go through the account creation dialogue, it leads me to a blank page with the blue EAB layout and header. No luck logging in with browser or Filezilla (incorrect credentials).

Repeated attempt tells me I've already submitted a userid from my IP, please wait for 24h.

That's fine by me, but the same thing will probably happen again. Any idea why?
Old 01 October 2018, 22:29   #2167
DamienD
Banned

Just checked the admin console and cannot see your account there...

PM me your desired password and I'll create for you
Old 02 October 2018, 12:38   #2168
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I'd dearly like to be a real EAB user. My post count is high enough, and my last post date recent enough.

But when I go through the account creation dialogue, it leads me to a blank page with the blue EAB layout and header. No luck logging in with browser or Filezilla (incorrect credentials).

Repeated attempt tells me I've already submitted a userid from my IP, please wait for 24h.

I'll have a look tonight on the webserver for what might have caused that.
Old 02 October 2018, 15:46   #2169
scifi
Resurrected...

Quote:
Code:
Daedalus
Gavilan
scifi
Valken
wiz12
I'm on the list but I'm quite active!
I was using the ftp://grandis.nu/ 2 days ago searching for Thalion's backup of Back2theRoots...

Oh, unless this is an anonymous usage of the ftp and I have to connect with an ftp client, right???

If that's the case please re-establish my connection and I will log-in properly next time!
Old 02 October 2018, 15:58   #2170
scifi
Resurrected...

Well, yes, you are right. I'm trying to log in now and it is says that I have been deleted.
Is it because I haven't connected for a long time?
Would you please re-establish my connection?
Should I submit my info again?
Old 02 October 2018, 16:32   #2171
DamienD
Banned

...no idea why any of the 5 people listed became disabled. There's no time limit due to inactivity / last connection.

Maybe Turran can advise?

Anyway, I've re-enabled your account scifi
Old 02 October 2018, 16:34   #2172
Turran

User scifi: Total logins: 0

You never logged in after creating your account so whatever you did, you used the anonymous account =)
You must logon at least once in 7 days after creation of the account to "activate" it. This is a one time thing and is only needed once to permanently activate it.

DamienD activated you again, so you must now logon before midnight or it will disable itself again.
Old 02 October 2018, 16:37   #2173
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post

I could find no reason why it did not work the first time you tried, although I can see the result from trying to add your account is just empty.

Can you give it another go to add your account?
Old 02 October 2018, 17:21   #2174
scifi
Resurrected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post

You never logged in after creating your account so whatever you did, you used the anonymous account =)
You must logon at least once in 7 days after creation of the account to "activate" it. This is a one time thing and is only needed once to permanently activate it.

DamienD activated you again, so you must now logon before midnight or it will disable itself again.
I think I did back then but, hey... I'm 45 years old... I do forget some times!

Thanks a lot, both of you!!!!
Old 02 October 2018, 17:47   #2175
scifi
Resurrected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post

Well, that's what happened! I didn't use the right syntax to log on.
So, I was logging on all this time as an anonymous user and I didn't have a clue about it. You should have kicked me out a long time ago!

You see, at first glance there is no visible difference when you log on through your web browser...
Old 02 October 2018, 18:48   #2176
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifi View Post
Well, that's what happened! I didn't use the right syntax to log on.
So, I was logging on all this time as an anonymous user and I didn't have a clue about it. You should have kicked me out a long time ago!

You see, at first glance there is no visible difference when you log on through your web browser...

Glad we figured that out =)
Old 02 October 2018, 20:38   #2177
Decker

Quote:
PM me your desired password and I'll create for you
All good! 24h cooldown and retry = Success.

Adblocker probably screwed me.
Old 02 October 2018, 23:08   #2178
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I am sure about my username and password but cannot connect...
Please help !
Old 03 October 2018, 00:32   #2179
DamienD
Banned

Not much details given malko; my crystal ball isn't as strong as Toni's

Using an FTP client, any error message, etc?

If you PM me your desired password I'll reset and you can try again
Old 03 October 2018, 11:46   #2180
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
I am sure about my username and password but cannot connect...
Please help !

Wrong password according to logs.