English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 March 2024, 23:16   #81
PDrill

Should've been learning drinking, smoking and girls in the late teens rather than being a nerd.
Old 24 March 2024, 09:45   #82
chip

I am proud to be nerd
Old 24 March 2024, 09:58   #83
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDrill View Post
Should've been learning drinking, smoking and girls in the late teens rather than being a nerd.
Late teens is, literally. the worst possible time in life to do those things.

Thank God I got to discover the alcohol and its amazing FX at a ripe age of 12
Old 24 March 2024, 13:32   #84
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
... your worst enemies are biases. I only found a good video in German language about it ...
No thanks, but I don't want to watch a video of the German ARD or ZDF, the public German state television, ... removed a part of my statement, because it was a political experience and thus offtopic at EAB, Sorry for posting it! The reason for that is how the authorities have treated me in 2019 and the years before. Some poeple here may still remember it.

Last edited by PeterK; 25 March 2024 at 14:15.
Old 24 March 2024, 13:44   #85
Calabazam

Quote:
I remember my teacher in class saying that she was annoyed by us Amiga gamers (because she catched us discussing a game solution), because we're "gaming for hours and in the end", we "didn't do anything". "It's a waste of lifetime, you could've helped at the church or been doing sports instead."

Now inmidst of a long mid-life-crisis (I'm fine, don't worry ), I remember this and wonder if I have wasted my life with gaming, with drawing solution maps on paper that I don't even possess anymore and with all the hours were I meticulously worked on finding the right car setup or level edit for the lack of something better and more useful.

What's your opinion?
Live your life just like you want to, you have only one.
Old 24 March 2024, 14:52   #86
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
No thanks, but I don't want to watch a video of the German ARD or ZDF, the public German state television, the propaganda machine of our government. The reason for that is how the authorities have treated me in 2019 and the years before. Some poeple here may still remember it.
You're rather on the absolute side of things. The world doesn't interest that. You don't change them with boycott, no one will even notice.
Old 24 March 2024, 15:41   #87
zodiac

Quote:
I remember my teacher in class saying that she was annoyed by us Amiga gamers (because she catched us discussing a game solution), because we're "gaming for hours and in the end", we "didn't do anything". "It's a waste of lifetime, you could've helped at the church or been doing sports instead."

Now inmidst of a long mid-life-crisis (I'm fine, don't worry ), I remember this and wonder if I have wasted my life with gaming, with drawing solution maps on paper that I don't even possess anymore and with all the hours were I meticulously worked on finding the right car setup or level edit for the lack of something better and more useful.

What's your opinion?
Life is just a simulation anyway. You will eventually reboot and start anew. The only waste of time is regretting the past, which actually doesn’t exist anyway.

Look into quantum mechanics and the double slit experiment. Matter’s behavior depends on how it is observed. This surely points towards a simulation.

Genetic diseases are bugs in the programming; we can’t exceed the speed of light due to rendering limitations; and the Big Bang was a cntrl-alt-delete or cntrl-amiga-amiga.

Last edited by zodiac; 24 March 2024 at 15:55.
Old 24 March 2024, 18:06   #88
Thomas Richter

Quote:
No thanks, but I don't want to watch a video of the German ARD or ZDF, the public German state television, the propaganda machine of our government.
Peter, sorry, but that's bull. German TV is not sponsored nor endorsed by our government, and that's hardly propaganda. The German public TV was intentionally modeled by the BBC, quite on purpose, to be independent from the government to avoid the mistakes of the Nazi regime before.
Old 24 March 2024, 18:32   #89
zodiac

Quote:
No thanks, but I don't want to watch a video of the German ARD or ZDF, the public German state television, the propaganda machine of our government. The reason for that is how the authorities have treated me in 2019 and the years before. Some poeple here may still remember it.
I see that Germany has its own share of lower IQ, conspiracy theorists. Unfortunately, intelligence is a bell curve distribution with the median IQ being 100. Half will be below and half above. Cognition and reasoning is heavily IQ based, so people with lower IQ’s are more susceptible to conspiracies and fake news. There are new studies coming out showing this trend.
Old 24 March 2024, 19:00   #90
PeterK

This bell curve must look pretty high from your position.
Old 24 March 2024, 20:19   #91
AmigaWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
It was my time to waste.

I'm glad I didn't sit in a church or kick a ball up a field.

Agreed. I would rather be at home playing on my Amiga. Then sitting in church being board to death. And the preacher can dry as dust!
Old 24 March 2024, 21:43   #92
paul1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Peter, sorry, but that's bull. German TV is not sponsored nor endorsed by our government, and that's hardly propaganda. The German public TV was intentionally modeled by the BBC, quite on purpose, to be independent from the government to avoid the mistakes of the Nazi regime before.
The BBC is pure government propaganda, unfortunately. We're forced to pay for it too.
Old 24 March 2024, 22:53   #93
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
The BBC is pure government propaganda, unfortunately. We're forced to pay for it too.
Look, unfortunately somebody has to pay for news anyhow. So what's better? Everyone a little bit, or a private enterprise with its own interests? Or some internet influencer with its own interests and sponsors?

I'm not saying everything is ideal and upright, and I would certainly appreciate if my payment would not be wasted for some pointless soccer game transmissions and sports clubs... but the situation is certainly better compared to news are in the hand of a private cooperation, and its also certainly better than having news in the control of the government. In Germany, every state has its own station (approximately, some states share a station, and in the past even some states had two stations), and even within this system, stations hardly agree between each other. Compare what the BR and WDR do.
Old 25 March 2024, 02:49   #94
Marcuz

About the original topic.

I kinda indentify the moment when I started trying to find some kinda understanding to navigate life, perception, truth, communication when I was about 13yo, and I am 48yo now and still haven't found one. A tedious and uninterrupted interior monologue of 35 years.
In addition, recently, I had what little I believed in for most of my adult life shaken to the core.

I think life is a thing that you can't measure or weigh from inside, and as such, it feels to me just like uncomprehensible movement: mine or that of a stone differing only in some quantity, with the added complication of the chance of pain.

A lack of peace with reality, whatever it might be, is fatiguing and frustrating: at the same time, everything is broken, and I am maladjusted; but I do care a lot for connection, and for the ones I have. I am sociable, and still a nihilist. You can't live without contradictions, and compromises.

Anyway, my point is, while understanding, and "what joy is for me" escape me, pain and solitude can be found by the bucket, and there's people who suffers more of both than me. So, if you find any joy in life, whatewer life is, or in what you do, and don't do anything bad to others, might as well go along for the ride, and, if you can, share them.
There is for sure plenty of stuff that's less isolating than playing videogames in your room, and has more taste; but if it helps you pass the time while you are searching for that, good for you.

I don't enjoy poetry, but there's an italian poem by Salvatore Quasimodo that I love, I translate it badly:

Everybody [/each one] is alone,
on the heart of the earth,
speared by a ray of sunshine,
and it's quickly [/already] evening.

Last edited by Marcuz; 25 March 2024 at 03:05.
Old 25 March 2024, 04:29   #95
CCCP alert

@OP

Before I got a VCS 6 switcher, which is the 70s, life was boring but I am glad I have witnessed and used every cutting console/computer/arcade machine as it happened from day 1, right up to the amazing AI video tools out there now which feel like the 70s console/micro computr pioneering years. Sports is just as much "a waste of time" given your health = 75% diet vs %15 exercise and religion is for people with high levels of avoiding scientific reality lol so.....
Old 25 March 2024, 04:34   #96
dreadnought

Quote:
The BBC is pure government propaganda
This is so funny. Hasn't the UK gov been Tory for the last decade or more? And isn't it also well known that BBC has "left-wing bias"? How does that compute?

And now thanks but no thanks for making me write a "political" post. Why people keep sneaking these topics in despite the clear rules is beyond me
Old 25 March 2024, 09:51   #97
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Either you have an uncomfortable awakening ahead, or you are misleading on purpose to support the status quo.

Quote:
The BBC is pure government propaganda, unfortunately.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
About the original topic.

I kinda indentify the moment when I started trying to find some kinda understanding to navigate life, perception, truth, communication when I was about 13yo, and I am 48yo now and still haven't found one. A tedious and uninterrupted interior monologue of 35 years.
In addition, recently, I had what little I believed in for most of my adult life shaken to the core.

I think life is a thing that you can't measure or weigh from inside, and as such, it feels to me just like uncomprehensible movement: mine or that of a stone differing only in some quantity, with the added complication of the chance of pain.

A lack of peace with reality, whatever it might be, is fatiguing and frustrating: at the same time, everything is broken, and I am maladjusted; but I do care a lot for connection, and for the ones I have. I am sociable, and still a nihilist. You can't live without contradictions, and compromises.

Anyway, my point is, while understanding, and "what joy is for me" escape me, pain and solitude can be found by the bucket, and there's people who suffers more of both than me. So, if you find any joy in life, whatewer life is, or in what you do, and don't do anything bad to others, might as well go along for the ride, and, if you can, share them.
There is for sure plenty of stuff that's less isolating than playing videogames in your room, and has more taste; but if it helps you pass the time while you are searching for that, good for you.

I don't enjoy poetry, but there's an italian poem by Salvatore Quasimodo that I love, I translate it badly:

Everybody [/each one] is alone,
on the heart of the earth,
speared by a ray of sunshine,
and it's quickly [/already] evening.
Interesting experiences, I agree about contradictions. Thinking about the "movement" you describe, assuming it's related to time (another flawed man-made concept), I think it's kind of sad we are limited to experience life at the very edge of the present as opposed to a wider gap; ideally experiencing all of it in parallel (all the past and future combined).
Old 25 March 2024, 10:20   #98
rare_j
Zone Friend

My opinion is that EAB is best served if political discussion takes place elsewhere.

I hope that by expressing this opinion it is not taken as an attack on free speech, and I hope that it is not seen as disrespectful to the current discussion.
Old 25 March 2024, 10:25   #99
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
My opinion is that EAB is best served if political discussion takes place elsewhere.

I hope that by expressing this opinion it is not taken as an attack on free speech, and I hope that it is not seen as disrespectful to the current discussion.
That's why it is a banned topic here on EAB: https://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=ea...faq_eab_banned
Old 25 March 2024, 11:41   #100
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac View Post
conspiracy theorists...
Wait.
Do you really dare to say, that Earth is not in the shape of Commodore logo?

Last edited by d4rk3lf; 25 March 2024 at 11:46.