English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 13 October 2014, 18:26   #101
LordNipple

I went back to it for one last try, it's been a bit of a rollercoaster but I am determined to see it through. I am speaking with the programmer about getting this finished so we can finally say we did our best (I know I will release map-packs in the future haha).
If the phonecall with Kev goes well then I will be over the moon, if not then I will do my best to get this version released myself.
It's hard with real life getting in the way etc.

Did you ever manage to track down Scavenge Peter? I always keep an eye out for you as I get given lots of Amiga disks because people know of my passion for the computer.
Old 13 October 2014, 18:32   #102
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I've never found the full version of "Scavenge" even after years of trying and searching high and low... I cant believe that it seems to have just disappeared of the face of the Amiga World... maybe one day...
Old 13 October 2014, 18:42   #103
LordNipple

That is bizarre but then again I guess it's easy to lose if it was never converted to .adf format.
We lost several of our games to history because we never backed them up as .adf. One of them was Pong '93, which if you ever played it you would have hoped it got lost to history :P
Old 13 October 2014, 21:26   #104
LordNipple

The phonecall went very well. I think we're back on with getting a release for this.
Until I get the standalone .adf version and a version on disk I will hold off an announcement, but this looks like it will finally get done and dusted.
I asked about the possibility of creating a whole new game for Amiga but the answer is really a no.
Old 13 October 2014, 21:58   #105
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Well, that's excellent news - glad the call went well.

A whole new game would be... pushing our luck... :-)
Old 19 October 2014, 12:18   #106
LordNipple

We managed to squeeze everything onto a single .adf!
I mean, I am dropping one of the characters (one called Darce, sounds like arse anyways so that's a good thing). The music works, it all works from a single .adf. This has been my goal throughout this revisit. I am just waiting to hear if Kev compiled it successfully, this may take a little while as he has kids so I must be patient.
I can't wait to transfer it to an actual 3.5" floppy for a real world play
Old 19 October 2014, 13:28   #107
seuden
uber cool demi god

Brilliant news! Well done. Maybe you could add characters as a dlc?
Old 19 October 2014, 14:27   #108
LordNipple

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Brilliant news! Well done. Maybe you could add characters as a dlc?
That would be brilliant!
I know there has been interest in female characters being added and had we converted the character editor to .adf this might have been a possibility, unfortunately we didn't which is a real pity as I have had allsorts of inspiration to add characters.

I have to say, this will be it when this is done, I would love to expand it and develop it further but unfortunately I have to get onto other projects and the programmer has also. I toyed with adding new map-packs etc (this would be a case of copy and replace using WinUAE and workbench) and to a certain extent this might still happen as I get a real kick out of editing maps/tilesets. We'll see.

I am like a kid at Christmas knowing that we got it all on one disk (uncompiled)...I have tried compiling it and had zero luck, Kev is on it as we speak so fingers crossed for good news
Old 20 October 2014, 22:42   #109
LordNipple

First compile went well, I am awaiting second compile complete with the very last of the changes and then it's ready for release.
Old 20 October 2014, 23:27   #110
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Nearly there!
Old 24 October 2014, 20:31   #111
LordNipple

We're just rebalancing character stats. We also dropped 2 of the characters as I felt they weren't the same quality as the rest. It feels so so good to play it compiled with all the new bits and pieces added in...it's mainly cosmetic with new title music but it feels closer to the deathmatch game we wanted to release but didn't have time to back then.

I will be releasing the .adf for download for free from my own website next week once my final tweaks have been added.

I am also looking at releasing a physical version for a fee, if there's a demand for that I will supply them. I am currently re-working the title artwork to H.D for A3 printing, mainly for my own pleasure but if people want a copy again, I'll supply them.

The free .adf version will be added mid to late next week. I am meeting the programmer in 2 days to discuss a few things and then we're good to go. I think he has enjoyed getting back into Amos programming and I am going to attempt to persuade him to make a new game with me.
Old 26 October 2014, 18:07   #112
LordNipple

I have redesigned the in-game screen to make better use of the screen and look better than the original.

Old 27 October 2014, 12:50   #113
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I'm loving the graphical style and the new layout - compared to the screenshots to be found earlier in this thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=765982&postcount=48
Old 28 October 2014, 01:32   #114
Leandro Jardim

I love that too, and the dithering and color detail.
Old 28 October 2014, 12:26   #115
LordNipple

Thanks guys, I exported the original in-game screen via paintshop pro and then into Photoshop where I was able to draw a more pleasing and generally nicer screen using my wacom, I then ported it back to .iff format via paintshop pro and then finally into Dpaint where I remapped it to the correct palette and then reworked the bits that didn't convert to 32 colours so well. Some might call that cheating, I call it a means to an end using the tools I have, I am still drawng it at the end of the day and it then appears in an Amiga game.
I wished I could dither etc like this in Dpaint like the legendary Dan Malone, but alas I simply don't have the time. My new character selection screen was created in pretty much the same way but I didn't actually draw any of that (the characters and guns were all drawn by me), it was all done in photoshop using various layers and layer effects which were then ported over to the Amiga and put into the game. It's an effective way of getting really nice looking gradients and the most out of either a 32 or a 16 colour palette.

If I was to continue making games on the Amiga I would continue to use this method providing the end results were pleasing.

Last edited by LordNipple; 28 October 2014 at 13:02. Reason: adding information/ correcting my appalling spelling
Old 28 October 2014, 13:29   #116
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I agree, the new images look far better and I would not call it cheating at all, if the Amiga itself had advanced everyone would be using more modern software on it. Use everything available today I say...
Old 28 October 2014, 13:56   #117
LordNipple

Thanks Peter!

The good news is all of the changes are now in place, the code is compiled and the game runs off a single .ADF as I originally intended it to be.
I met the programmer last night for a quick chat regarding releasing this today and he asked for a few days as he'd had a couple of ideas regarding keeping the gameplay fresh.
I proposed a 1 player game option in an email when I got home, I have yet to hear back from him regarding that, if I know him as well as I think I do he will more than likely rule it out. The good news is that the 2 player game will be the best we have been able to create using what we already have. Once I release this I can honestly say I will be proud of the work we have done as it now looks JUST how I always wanted it to.

I am requesting photos of people playing the game with their friends, either on emulated Amigas or ideally physical ones (those with Gotek drives won't have a problem, those without will have to convert the disk etc)...this is for my own collection of Amiga related fun. I just think it would be a great buzz, and also, the programmer doesn't believe me when I mention that people will actually play our game!!
Old 30 October 2014, 20:40   #118
LordNipple

For anyone following this thread, the game can be downloaded from my website now.

I am still over the moon it's finally done

http://wayneashworthart.com/Amiga.html
Old 30 October 2014, 20:55   #119
wanderer
I want an A1000

Thanks a lot LordNipple and well done, looks like a great game! On to finding a friend for 2-player mayhem.
Old 31 October 2014, 14:20   #120
Leandro Jardim

Brwaaa waa waa waa... Thanks, great game, is very funny to see when the opponent dies with all that gore! I am falling in laughts of the poor marine!

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 31 October 2014 at 19:40.