English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 01 April 2007, 21:34   #1
Aljrob

WinUAE / UFO AGA Problem

Hi all,

I'm having a few problems with WinUAE and UFO: Enemy Unknown AGA - the base phase of the game works fine, but saving or moving to the 'on the ground' phase causes the screen to skip frames - so much so that I've not successfully played the turn-based stage of the game or saved the game either.

Anyone else experienced this? Any WinUAE settings I should be playing with to sort this?

Thanks,

Aljrob
Old 28 April 2007, 20:14   #2
Poor Student

I can't help your technical problem but you can download the PC version here: http://www.abandonia.com/games/38/UF...emyUnknown.htm

My God, did anyone play this on the A500? An Alien turn could take close to an hour on a terror site.
Old 16 August 2010, 13:46   #3
antonvaltaz

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I've had similar problems to the OP, and Googling it seems to reveal a few people with similar problems in the past, but no solutions...

In my case moving to the 'on the ground' phase simply results in a black screen.

I've tried this with A1200 + 4Mb RAM WinUAE quickstart, with the compatibility slider set to different points. I've tried installing it from IPF images, from the Amiga Format 109 cover CD (ISO), and from the zip archive on http://www.xcomufo.com/x1dl.html, all with the same result.

Anyone got this to work (AGA version) on WinUAE?
Old 17 August 2010, 10:55   #4
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
I can't help your technical problem but you can download the PC version here: http://www.abandonia.com/games/38/UF...emyUnknown.htm

My God, did anyone play this on the A500? An Alien turn could take close to an hour on a terror site.
The pc version mentioned, can that be run on XP, or does Dosbox or whatever need to be installed?

I never saw the Amiga 500 version running, but the AGA version was a lovely looking game, which in its way I don't think has dated, graphically or otherwise.
Old 17 August 2010, 10:59   #5
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonvaltaz View Post
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I've had similar problems to the OP, and Googling it seems to reveal a few people with similar problems in the past, but no solutions...

In my case moving to the 'on the ground' phase simply results in a black screen.

I've tried this with A1200 + 4Mb RAM WinUAE quickstart, with the compatibility slider set to different points. I've tried installing it from IPF images, from the Amiga Format 109 cover CD (ISO), and from the zip archive on http://www.xcomufo.com/x1dl.html, all with the same result.

Anyone got this to work (AGA version) on WinUAE?
I'm having a bit off difficulty getting my 1200 to boot at the moment, but when I get a chance I will transfer my version to the pc, and if it works I'll let you know.
Old 17 August 2010, 11:31   #6
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
The WHD version seems to be working ok, if a little slow.
Old 17 August 2010, 11:50   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

This is interesting,

I have been playing a lot of UFO lately (both PC and Amiga via WinUAE) and they all work fine -

however saying that the PC version had a similar problem at first.. (running under DosBox .76)

As it would get the personel loud out screen (upon entering a mission) *especially a UFO Base) the whole screen would black out and be left with just the music.

after tapping the space/enter key, it (the graphics) seemed to come back to the screen.

This was prevailent in DOSBox. .72 to .77 under WinXP SP3
Old 17 August 2010, 13:02   #8
antonvaltaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
after tapping the space/enter key, it (the graphics) seemed to come back to the screen.
If that works I'll feel very stupid!

Will try it out tonight...
Old 17 August 2010, 17:38   #9
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
If that works I'll feel very stupid!

Will try it out tonight...

One other thought, although I'm a huge fan of WHDLoad, its creator and the patchers, UFO for me was a smoother experience using the cracked hard drive installation. I was running it on my 060 1200 with Mediator/Voodoo system, and it was just smoother, I think the WHDLoad version was going to a black screen between simulated floppy changes or something - but if it works for you...
Old 17 August 2010, 18:10   #10
antonvaltaz

@Angus

Quote:
I've tried installing it from IPF images, from the Amiga Format 109 cover CD (ISO), and from the zip archive on http://www.xcomufo.com/x1dl.html, all with the same result.
I never use WHDLoad!
Old 18 August 2010, 13:57   #11
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
@Angus

I never use WHDLoad!

Fair enough, but I should say you are talking to somebody who has great respect and gratitude for the WHDLoad/JST guys. Its just that for me, UFO ran so well without the slave that for me it wasn't required.

I couldn't get the 1200 to boot up last night, so I've not been able to transfer my UFO installation.
Old 19 August 2010, 07:10   #12
antonvaltaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I should say you are talking to somebody who has great respect and gratitude for the WHDLoad/JST guys. (
Oh I do too, apologies if it came across as disrespectful. I think especially if I still had a real Amiga, WHDLoad would prove really useful. I've just no need for it really, so haven't registered it.

Anyway, have finally got UFO running after much tampering with Win UAE settings. Unfortunately I'm not 100% certain what it was that made it work, but will share my config if anyone wants it.
Old 19 August 2010, 10:21   #13
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

I read that UFO uses some kind of "Virtual Memory". My hard drive was thrashing all the time so I believe it. I do not know if this applies to both ECS and AGA versions or just one of them. But I do remember the game being screwy when I played it in the 1990's. The screwiness, bugginess and slowness caused me to not like the game. After a month I gave up on UFO and went back to Total Chaos.

This "virtual memory" might be what is causing the problems in WHDload. Have fun fixing that
Old 19 August 2010, 10:25   #14
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Actually I think I remember now that only the ECS version had the endless hard drive thrashing problem. IIRC the AGA version had much much less hard drive thrashing but had more bugginess. It was a mess.
Old 27 August 2010, 19:52   #15
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrategyGamer View Post
Actually I think I remember now that only the ECS version had the endless hard drive thrashing problem. IIRC the AGA version had much much less hard drive thrashing but had more bugginess. It was a mess.
I can't agree with that. I've played the AGA version through a couple of times - and while it may be a tad slow on a basic 020, on 030 or better its a beautiful gaming experience which I personally think still holds up very well today. Bloody great game, IMHO.