English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 April 2002, 20:01   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Chuck Rock 2 Dynamix crack

Hi,

it seems I've just discovered another crack of a PREVIEW without anyone of the crackers mentioning it in their intro scrollers. I'm not that sure yet, but indications tell me that I can't be far away from reality:
The Dynamix crack of Chuck Rock 2 MUST be a preview:
(1) there's no intro
(2) the intro contains difficulty level options menu, which is missing in this "release"
(3) Level 1 is named 'SUBURBS' instead of 'STONEAGE SUBURBS' (sales version)

Does anyone of you guys know a story behind this to verify it?
Is this another case of a game carelessly stolen from a software house when it wasn't yet finished?
Old 21 April 2002, 23:21   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Probably Galahad will know this one, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would say it is a stolen pre-release. On the BBS's back then, very often you would see the same getting uploaded from a different crack group and the -=* SALES VERSION *=- or something like that in the description, so it wasn't exactly an uncommon practice. Thing is, most users destroyed their previous copies, making those harder to find. The ones that are still around today missed the chopping block (which, to me, is a good thing!)

I'll check some of my old lists of BBS uploads and see if I can find this one and report my findings (if any)...

Edit: I checked the text lists I have on my PC HD here and could only find the upload for the Anthrox release of the game, which didn't mention anything like that.
Old 22 April 2002, 09:16   #3
Tim Janssen

Hooooo Mystery of Chuck2

I too have the Chuck Rock2 preview on my original Amiga. Another remarkable point of this preview is the fact you cannot complete a level. Once little Chuck has made it to the far right of a level or has defeated the end-of-level boss, the game will not load any further. The only way to solve this problem is pressing the 'F2'-key to skip this very level.
I remember I got this game on one of the many Amiga copy-parties. The strange thing is in April/ May 1993 the game was reviewed in every magazine available, so when I copied Chuck2, I was under the assumption this was the full-price version. It certainly wasn't. -Afterwards it still was very difficult to get hold of the final version.

In the '92-'93 period I copied by accident many betas of games: Lionheart, Curse of Enchantia, Putty to name but a few. -and I still own these betas.
This reminds me about the story of the Turrican 3 beta-version: This preview looks exactly like the final version except for the fact the main sprite often could get stuck in the wall and the last world was missing. Factor Five hired some beta-testers to playtest the game and one of them, a German guy I regularly met at the copyparty, provided me this beta. -I was over the moon with it.
I think mainly beta-testers are to blame for spreading previews of unfinished games.
Old 22 April 2002, 09:27   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

So why don't you up some of these rare betas?
Old 22 April 2002, 09:28   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Once little Chuck has made it to the far right of a level or has defeated the end-of-level boss, the game will not load any further. The only way to solve this problem is pressing the 'F2'-key to skip this very level.
OOPS. Gotta test this...:eek

Quote:
In the '92-'93 period I copied by accident many betas of games: Lionheart, Curse of Enchantia, Putty to name but a few. -
What's the difference between the beta of CoE and the final release?
And last question: can anyone name a crack of Turrican 3 that is really the final version?
I remember the problem with the stuck-in-the-walls thing very well
Old 22 April 2002, 10:16   #6
Tim Janssen

Post Some more info...

I really would love to upload these previews in The Zone, but first I need to convert them from Amiga to PC at my parent's house. Since my Amiga is put to rest in the attic I am afraid this is not possible on the short term. However, I could provide you some information about these previews:
The Curse of Enchantia-beta I own does not have a title-tune. Also, the game will crash once you are past the underwater part -I don't know whether this is caused by a faulty disc.
I discovered only a couple of days ago my crack of Putty on the original Amiga might be a preview. The Putty I downloaded from EAB featured a title-tune that definitely cannot be heard in my 'original' Putty. The game itself is exactly the same as far I can see.
Finally there is Lionheart which really is a beta. I got hold of this game in January 1993 from a bloke who had provided me more Thalion-games before (I always wondered whether he was a playtester for Thalion). In the game's options-screen one can choose the game's intro but when playing it, the outro and game-credits are displayed. Also, you can skip to any level by pressing the 'F1' to 'F7' keys. The last level(?) where the hero rides a dragon is even unfinished in this beta. It features no baddies and it keeps scrolling for eternity.

About the Turrican 3 crack: I have overwritten my Turrican 3 preview with a crack of the final-version -well, it was the final version so I have been told. I think it was cracked and trained by Paranoima and it has the same cracktro as used with Disposable Heroes; i.e. a chip-tune, blue and dark-red horizontal bars, little white fonts.
Old 22 April 2002, 20:43   #7
derSammler

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
And last question: can anyone name a crack of Turrican 3 that is really the final version?
The version cracked by Hoodlum is the final version.
Old 22 April 2002, 21:50   #8
andreas
Zone Friend

Thanks.
I had Turrican 3 on real disk on my A500 back then, but it wasn't the Hoodlum crack.
Old 26 April 2002, 17:04   #9
derSammler

@andreas: You are completely right with your assumption! The Dynamix crack of Chuck Rock 2 is a beta/pre-release. I've compared the Dynamix crack with the Anthrox crack. Not only the level names are different ("Monkey Trouble" levels are called "Jungle" in the Dynamix crack), the levels are different, too! And the sales version has more sound effects. Absolutely no doubt that the Dynamix crack is a beta or a pre-release...
Old 26 April 2002, 17:39   #10
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Exclamation

Hi Andreas!
I can add another to the list. I had a copy of Pang (Ocean/Ocean France), which was a pre-release,which lacks the animals (birds etc.),of the arcade game. I thought this was a deliberate omission until I read a post about it being in the miggy version too!
I'll have to look it up again to check who cracked it though.
A pity noone managed to get a pre-release of Snow Bros. on Amiga though! (As it was done by Ocean France too!)
Old 27 April 2002, 18:24   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Smile

Quote:
I thought this was a deliberate omission until I read a post about it being in the miggy version too!
That's no breaking news.
Here you are.