English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 October 2003, 15:40   #21
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
You need a tv that allows svhs input via scart, the scart lead doesn't convert it to rgb, it's the tv that needs to understand the signal. Most newer tv's will handle svhs no problem but usually only on one of the scart sockets.

Now if only gfx cards had scart outputs!
How is my dongle converting it then? Prior to the Sony, I had a cheapy Matsui from about 1995, pretty sure this thing would not have supported SVHS into the scart, yet the TV-Out worked a treat. It didn't like NTSC modes, but that's no big surprise.
Old 14 October 2003, 16:57   #22
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
Okay guys thisis what I have

2nd video card - Radeon 7200 -> SVHS OUT --> SVHS to COMPOSITE (YELLOW) LEAD --> CABLE --> RCA/PHONO TO SCART ADAPTER --> TV

works fine on every tv ive tried on (old and new)
Old 14 October 2003, 17:05   #23
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Hmmm, if the dongle doesn't have any circuitry then it's most likely taking the svhs video and joining the signals into a composite video signal to feed into your tv. You can't 'convert' to rgb from svhs, it's like trying to make a vcd look better by converting to dvd.

But it does mean you can watch it on your tele, which is main point, so good!
Old 14 October 2003, 17:20   #24
LaundroMat

I see I have this SVHS output on my Geforce 3 too! (Stupid me, jumping to conclusions before checking actual hardware).

If I understand all this correctly, it's no use putting the scart coming from the SVHS-out into one of the RGB slots on my television, as the output plainly isn't RGB?

(I ask this because both RGB slots are taken by my PS2 and my DVD player, and I hate switching cables).

Thinking now... but would a SVHS->S-Video cable exist?
Old 14 October 2003, 17:22   #25
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

SVHS is S-Video

But those slots on your tv aren't RGB slots, they're scart slots. All scart slots accept composite video signals, and almost all new tv's have one scart that takes RGB, one that allows S-Video signals, and most now accept PAL and NTSC.

Although if you do use RGB you don't need to worry about PAL/NTSC because RGB is platform independant. The TV normally converts PAL > RGB or NTSC > RGB but if the signal is already RGB there is no need for conversion.
Old 16 October 2003, 14:30   #26
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Question

I'm going to purchase that SCART->SVHS cable today and see what happens.

I've realised I can also use this cable to attach my TV to my ProGrab 24RT Plus framegrabber which I aquired a few months ago off eBay but never used. This accepts both composite and SVHS cables from the TV but what about the signal from the TV to the ProGrab box? The signal being sent from the TV must be RGB so will the ProGrab box convert the signal into SVHS? Surely it must do.

Well I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that my TV won't accept the signal sent from my GeForce 3 card (hope I'm wrong) so hopefully the cable will work ok with ProGrab.
Old 16 October 2003, 15:04   #27
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I've realised I can also use this cable to attach my TV to my ProGrab 24RT Plus framegrabber which I aquired a few months ago off eBay but never used. This accepts both composite and SVHS cables from the TV but what about the signal from the TV to the ProGrab box? The signal being sent from the TV must be RGB so will the ProGrab box convert the signal into SVHS? Surely it must do.
Bear in mind that SCART cables are one-way. So your ProGrab box isn't going to see a signal from the TV using that same Maplin cable.

Unless they have a IN/OUT toggle switch on the moulded end piece.
Old 16 October 2003, 15:11   #28
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
Unless they have a IN/OUT toggle switch on the moulded end piece.
It does have an IN/OUT toggle switch.
Old 16 October 2003, 17:47   #29
Echo

Hurrah!
Old 17 October 2003, 02:31   #30
gary

Can anyone tell me if they know of a graphics card that offers TV out but also the ability to send RGB signals from the card at the same frequency in order to be used with an arcade monitor?
Perhaps there are connections on the card itself (not the back-plate)?
Old 17 October 2003, 17:57   #31
LaundroMat

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
SVHS is S-Video

But those slots on your tv aren't RGB slots, they're scart slots. All scart slots accept composite video signals, and almost all new tv's have one scart that takes RGB, one that allows S-Video signals, and most now accept PAL and NTSC.

Although if you do use RGB you don't need to worry about PAL/NTSC because RGB is platform independant. The TV normally converts PAL > RGB or NTSC > RGB but if the signal is already RGB there is no need for conversion.
Well, I know they are Scart slots, but out of the 5 scart slots on my TV, only two accept RGB input as well (hence DVD and PS2 taking those "slots").

I've also noticed there's a S-Video-In port on my TV too (a round, female slot). I'll have a look around for some (long) cables. And a USB arcade joystick!
Old 17 October 2003, 17:59   #32
LaundroMat

Quote:
Originally posted by gary
Can anyone tell me if they know of a graphics card that offers TV out but also the ability to send RGB signals from the card at the same frequency in order to be used with an arcade monitor?
Perhaps there are connections on the card itself (not the back-plate)?
Maybe tvtool (link in one of the posts above) could help you with that?

(Your avatar... Who or what is that? It gives me nightmares).