English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 19 May 2018, 11:13   #2181
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Sorry but all these Comic book movies and there high ratings these are not Classics they only last a decade at most, and the Star Trek film into the Darkness you have Kirk listening to Beastie boys and Spock jumping around like a Super Hero ? Kirk and Spock???

The new Death Wish has a low rating and so does the old one from places like Rotten Tomatoes yet google users give it good reviews.

O god I feel better now
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 May 2018, 21:36   #2182
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

So yeah, saw a couple of movies that were worth my time. Sorry Retro, also a superhero movie that I rate very highly indeed. Well, sort of a superhero movie.

Deadpool 2

A little slow to start but once the movie gets rolling its a barrel of laughs. At one point (the "baby legs" scene, you can't miss it) I was almost crying. And for the love of god - keep watching when the credits start rolling because there are some really awesome fan service scenes to follow.

The first movie was good, but in this one they get a really good ensemble together which just makes it tick all the better. And in Pool 2 they're over their own "oh my god we're so cool for making it R-rated" bit and just focused on actually making a movie rated R rather than an R-rated movie. Absolutely love it.

8/10

Solace

A clever serial killer movie that manages to have a few surprises and some really solid acting. It borrows some ideas from Seven, without becoming gruesome. Alas it was a bit too short for its own good, so once the serial killer is ultimately exposed it just rushes too much to the ultimate story gimmick (which I liked, not your usual tropes); you don't really get the chance to get a proper feel for this person. A little slower progression would have really made this movie hit harder.

6.9/10

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Yeah its alright. I like how this is actually made as a proper sequel to Jumanji rather than just doing the exact same thing all over again. That was a good choice that keeps the movie fresh. But I still couldn't really get too much into it for two reasons: the humor relies too much on cringe and the truly good thing from the first Jumanji is stomped on: van Pelt.

In the first movie van Pelt is the ultimate bad guy; a ruthless hunter that can't be bargained with and won't stop until he's made the kill. You really feel that throughout the movie; the animals may be a menace but van Pelt is the stuff of nightmares, a living terminator portrayed exceptionally well by the actor (Jonathan Hyde).

In this new one... he's turned into a friggin' Sith Lord portrayed by an actor not really capable of breathing life into such a stock action movie villain. Not everything needed changing from the original movie, the original van Pelt character would have still worked wonders in this iteration of the game world :/

6/10

Toc Toc

A nice Spanish movie with some good old fashioned fun that stick a group of really unique personalities with different OCD issues into a single room and lets them figure out together how they may get control over them. If you read the reviews you'll see a bunch of "oh my gerd, they're making fun of people with OCD how horrible" nonsense - I'm pretty sure people with OCD tendencies will laugh the hardest seeing this really lighthearted feelgood movie. It was a good filler of an evening on the couch, that's for sure.

7/10
Old 22 May 2018, 11:15   #2183
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Yeah I lost it a bit and my rant not amied at amy one here
I've not seen Deadpool but this is a movie that does look ok to me, I quite liked Jumanji but yeah carry on
Old 22 May 2018, 13:18   #2184
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Rating a movie is a haphazard process anyway. Its more for the fun of (momentary?) disagreement than anything else. The Beasty Boys basically saving the day in Star Trek Beyond put a big smile on my face as it just came out of nowhere, but the old Star Trek fan inside me cringed a little
Old 22 May 2018, 15:29   #2185
Retro1234
Bo Bo

The thing is I think it's probably a good movie and may even have worked with next Generation crew when they were younger but Kirk and Spock just have a different feeling surrounding them, I tried to watch it twice a felt this is a good movie but can't get over the Kirk and Spock thing
Old 28 May 2018, 11:03   #2186
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Watched the Martian.

A botanist stranded on Mars with no hope to return to Earth and set to die in any number of horrible ways including suffocation and starvation. Or is there hope? Well right from the first moment the message is clear: hell yes there is hope.

I like how this movie decides not to be a tearjerker but rather keeps the fun in it with some humor and only the occasional setback among the many successes. There is throughout a sense of mystery as it is never clearly explained what Matt's character is up to and why he does the things he does until the people on Earth as Nasa figure it out along with you. Exposition is kept to a minimum.

It shows some technical achievements which basically advocate that yes a proper education is important and knowing a thing or two about agriculture is a wicked good idea, being able to work out problems in a time of need is an awesome thing to be able to do especially if it means that you will not starve in a hostile environment. In that respect its an inspiring tale.

It does not appear very realistic as depicted in the movie itself as things go just a tad too smoothly but it doesn't have to be given its a work of entertainment and not a work of infotainment. I'm sure the source material goes far more in-depth into the trials and tribulations this character had to go through. Point is, I had great fun watching this movie. To me the right choices were made in how far things go.

Bonus points to Matt Damon for carrying the film, this is the first movie in a long while where I actually care about his character. Also Jeff Daniels is worth mentioning, this is the second time I see him portray a corporate asshole with a heart and really nail it; the first time being the Michael Fassbender Steve Jobs movie.

8/10, will definitely watch it again.
Old 28 May 2018, 12:01   #2187
Ian
Global Moderator

Re watched Gladiator as it was re-released in 4k, still a classic in my opinion. Details obviously taken up a notch due to 4k, some of it is still as stunning as it was, for example the digitally rebuilt Colosseum. It's been long enough since I last watched it for it to be completely predictable (for example I forgot what happened to commodous at the end.

Thoroughly enjoyed my revisit to old Rome.

Next on my 4K list is Jurassic Park 1, 2, 3 and 4, then The Matrix.
Old 28 May 2018, 12:51   #2188
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

How do you watch them in 4k? Streaming?

Interesting question actually, which classics would be epic to rewatch in 4k. I was kind of eying some TV's yesterday and it does seem like its time to make a little upgrade...
Old 28 May 2018, 13:28   #2189
Ian
Global Moderator

Streaming of sorts, use Plex Media server on my PC to direct play them on my TV. Quality is far higher on the encode than Netflix and Amazon prime this way.

I have watched Ghostbuster and Ghostbuster 2, both were a really pleasant experience, some of the effects stick out like a sore thumb though, like when the dog in GB1 runs across the road, actually drew a chuckle it was that bad.

The beauty with old films though is they are shot in analogue, so all the detail is on the film, so scanning at 4k, 8k or whatever really improves the quality of the image.

Also watched the Blade Runner (the original) and Men in Black Trilogy in 4k too recently, everything looks great there. Obviously an added benefit is the sound is normally much better too on UHD, most given some Atmos treatment.

I cannot recommend 4k enough to be honest.

Last edited by Ian; 28 May 2018 at 13:34.
Old 28 May 2018, 17:07   #2190
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Thinking about it, besides Once Upon a Time in the West (naturally) I want to really see K-Pax in 4k. The use of color in that movie is something else.

Although I hate the movie itself, Oz the Great And Powerful I want to see for very similar reasons.
Old 04 June 2018, 13:11   #2191
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

the Secret Life of Pets.

Even though on the outside it looks like one of the weaker entries into the series of Despicable Me-esque animation movies, I really enjoyed every second of it despite some shortcomings in the story department and some uninspired characters such as Kevin Hart's homicidal tiny white bunny (fast talking with a loud screechy voice, how original Kevin).

I will go as far as to say I love it. Dearly. The animals are just done so right, they carry the entire film.

Definitely one for a proper family movie time evening, popcorn recommended!

7.5/10
Old 05 June 2018, 23:30   #2192
Zak
Zap´em

I waited until you would post about Solo: A Star Wars Story, but you didn't.

So critics said it would be the most unnecessary Star Wars film and boring because you'd knew the outcome.

But it´s a plausible movie full of action and not as bad as I thought. It has elements of a western with gunslingers and outlaws. Not much Jedi stuff, but if you see it as an independent science fiction movie then it's good.
Yes you know that certain things would happen, but you don't know how and so you sit and wait to see it.

The actors perform rock solid and of course there are a lot of special effects. In German version, Han Solo has the old voice from Harrison Ford for better immersion.

Don't expect too much but it's alright to watch and quite entertaining.
Old 06 June 2018, 10:04   #2193
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
I waited until you would post about Solo: A Star Wars Story, but you didn't.
Assuming you are referring to me, this thread is about venting your unaltered feelings and opinions about any and all movies friend, its not a game of respond to what I say I don't know when I can catch this one, maybe this Sunday.

Hey, it's a spin-off movie. They should be allowed to do things a little less Star Warsy. Can't wait for the announced Boba Fett movie.

Quote:
So critics said it would be the most unnecessary Star Wars film and boring because you'd knew the outcome.
No that was Rogue One. But after two viewings I've come to love it anyway. If I don't like Solo on the first viewing I'm just going to wait until I see it again
Old 06 June 2018, 10:21   #2194
Ian
Global Moderator

So rewatched all the Jurassic Parks/World in 4K, very impressed, the work they did on the dinos even in the first movie still look spectacular, obvs Jurassic World being far newer looked best though.

Jurassic Park 2 aside, which was shit, they are all really enjoyable to this day, I would recommend the collection to anyone with a 4K tv. Again, they are old enough to have forgotten most scenes apart from the key ones obviously.

7 out of 10 for the whole collection, 8 out of ten if you don't watch Jurassic Park 2.

Will see if I can sneak the Matrix in before I go on holiday on Friday.
Old 06 June 2018, 10:38   #2195
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Jurassic Park 2 aside, which was shit
Still liked it more than Jurassic Park 3. The raptor change in it was good, but those monstrous people that start shouting their lungs out the moment they set foot on the island... I get they were characters designed to be hated and then you start to like them as they "grow", but the actors are a little too good at their job and I just wanted to murder them from start to finish.

And what is Jurassic World 2 going to be? Basically Jurassic Park 2 again. Take the dinos to the main land as the worst idea in the history of man... again!

I'm still doubting if I'm even going to see it in the cinemas :/
Old 06 June 2018, 12:27   #2196
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
No that was Rogue One. But after two viewings I've come to love it anyway.
IMHO Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie in many, many years
Old 06 June 2018, 18:33   #2197
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Assuming you are referring to me, this thread is about venting your unaltered feelings and opinions about any and all movies friend, its not a game of respond to what I say I don't know when I can catch this one, maybe this Sunday.
I just didn't want to steal the show from professional movie downloaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
IMHO Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie in many, many years

Many modern movies like Rogue One are more like a recorded computer game.
Old 06 June 2018, 18:57   #2198
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Rogue One is great. Star Wars VII was boring nostalgia fan service and VIII was just awful in every imaginable way. Solo is probably a financial flop, but people says it's at least a solid and entertaining movie. Will watch it when the BD or WEB-DL is released.
Old 06 June 2018, 20:45   #2199
Retro1234
Bo Bo

To me solo isn't great but somehow they managed to keep the atmosphere of the old Star Wars like the new Blade Runner kept the same feeling.
Old 12 June 2018, 10:05   #2200
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Fate of the Furious, AKA Fast 8.

You'd think that at some point in a long running franchise it just turns to shit. Well... I loved every second of this movie. Yes the ideas have run out as the basic premise of this movie is the reverse of an earlier movie (Fast 5 or 6?): instead of Letty going rogue and Dom needing to persuade everyone she's still family, this time Dom goes rogue and Letty needs to defend him. The reason why Dom goes rogue is far more interesting though, no "lost my memory" bullshit.

But other than that its pretty much the poster example of an action movie. One liners, insane actions scenes that top those of the previous instalment, beautiful scenery, hundreds of cars that get smashed to bits, nukes, a nice plot twist; its all there in a neat and tidy package. Also some nice chemistry between Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham's characters which goes criminally underexplored in this movie, so I'm glad they're turning those characters into a spinoff which is going to be one heck of a 90's action movie throwback.

I don't care that this is really dumb entertainment, entertain it really does!

Action movie score: 8.5/10
General score: 6.5/10
AdSense AdSense