English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 06 September 2017, 00:23   #21
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum View Post
All news to me. The lowest common denominator held on a LONG time where I'm from. PS3 exclusively shipped with composite video its whole life if I recall.
Xbox 360 got component or HDMI in some SKUs.
Well EU PS3's shipped with HDMI as standard... composite video wouldn't have carried a 1080p signal, hence rendering Blueray playback impossible.
Old 06 September 2017, 03:19   #22
Lum

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewis View Post
Well EU PS3's shipped with HDMI as standard... composite video wouldn't have carried a 1080p signal, hence rendering Blueray playback impossible.
Sorry for the confusion. PS3 always had HDMI output. I meant to ask whether Sony actually packed a cable in the box.
Composite can be used for 480i bluray playback, on an CRT SDTV if you want to.
Old 06 September 2017, 13:00   #23
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Eh? The SCART standard is bidirectional from the beginning. Exactly for the purposes outlined above.
Only audio and composite - rgb-video in/out shares the same pins and can only be in one direction at a time.
Also: you can not send rgb and svideo simultaneously, since pin 15 is ether "red" or chroma.

For such a huge connector with a awful lot of pins this is just bad design of the standard... (ok: still better than the rest at this time)

Last edited by Gorf; 06 September 2017 at 13:22.
Old 06 September 2017, 13:58   #24
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
SCART did originate in France
We call it a "prise péritel" (preez pair-ee-tel I guess would be the closest pronounciation for an English speaker).

A Big Mac is a Big Mac but we call it le Big Mac...
Old 06 September 2017, 18:01   #25
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
Only audio and composite - rgb-video in/out shares the same pins and can only be in one direction at a time.
Yes, but you specifically mentioned video recorders, which per definition don't use RGB. The intended use case for RGB was for satellite receivers, which can't record. The first devices capable of recording RGB were released some twenty to thirty years after SCART's invention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf
Also: you can not send rgb and svideo simultaneously, since pin 15 is ether "red" or chroma.
Naturally, since SCART predates the introduction of SVHS by many years. This is handled by switching signals.
Old 07 September 2017, 10:38   #26
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Yes, but you specifically mentioned video recorders, which per definition don't use RGB. The intended use case for RGB was for satellite receivers, which can't record. The first devices capable of recording RGB were released some twenty to thirty years after SCART's invention.
you are right.
I was too focused on digital video editing here...
Old 07 September 2017, 11:25   #27
BrooksterMax

As a teenager growing up with the Amiga, I was well versed with gaming but didn't not have a clue about improving picture quality!

It was the A520 modulator and RF all the way through for me. Was I alone in this? If only I understood RGB SCART back then - or composite!

I recall portable 14" CRTs did not often have SCART in the early 90s but only an RF jack. Maybe because I saw and used the cheap TV models. I guess many others played on their Amiga 500s on a 14" CRT?

Composite and SCART seemed to be more common in the later 90s on 14" CRT TVs.

I am all RGB'ed up now. Finally.
Old 07 September 2017, 15:20   #28
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Well, the A520 had color composite out (via RCA jack) too. The not too cheap TV models had that connector, even if they lacked scart.
Old 11 September 2017, 21:15   #29
Juz400

1984 SONY HitBit

Always wanted one of these before I got an Amiga. (Nemesis FTW)
The impatient or not bothered can fast forward to 8:30 when the machine is turned around, Ta-Daa RGB Scart socket!
[ Show youtube player ]
Actually I think the whole SONY MSX range had a Scart socket.

I had a CPC464 with colour monitor before I bought an Amiga, that was RGB, I know this because I made a 23 way D to Amstrad monitor cable! RGB and sync. Used it for a couple years before a Multiscan monitor for AGA screenmodes.

Alot of people in my area, if they didnt have a CBM or Philips monitor ALWAYS had a 14" SONY Trintron with 23 way D to Scart. It had a lovely picture that always seemed to have a concave look to it(The picture kind of dished into the monitor)