English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 22 February 2016, 19:16   #441
Megol

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomeo View Post
yep.. an even better reason to fix crippled drivers so its not THAT obsolete.

but as always.. Jens knows better, and everyone else is wrong..
If it has'nt been for those pesky customers and their stock hardware..

sorry those negative comments.. but im in a war mode regarding this!
Given his bashing of most (all?) other Amiga-compatible hardware manufacturers (many of which have never caused any problem at all) I think the criticism is right. I wouldn't buy anything he produces/sells just for that lousy attitude.
Old 23 February 2016, 11:25   #442
spudje

So, what configurations are facing this issue again? I just swapped my A3640 with a Cyberstorm MK2 060 in my A3000 (with buster 11). Would I be able to run X-Surf 100 + RapidRoad at zorroIII without issues or will I still face the same trouble?
Old 23 February 2016, 11:36   #443
wmsteele

You should be ok, I'm running a Cyberstorm MK2 060 in a A4000 (with buster 11), X-Surf & RapidRoad combo is working fine (Z3).
Old 23 February 2016, 21:14   #444
spudje

OK, great, thx!
Old 24 February 2016, 21:33   #445
demolition
Unregistered User

So I just had some time to try out the USB Ethernet device again. This time I tried using MiamiDX instead, but with the exact same result. I managed to configure it using usbasixeth.device and was able to do a few pings but it doesn't take long until it crashes the USB stack and I see nak timeouts on the Ethernet in Trident.
So I'm thinking either a bug in the asixeth.class, usbasixeth.device, Poseidon or the RapidRoad driver. Since this adapter can work on an X-Surf clockport, perhaps it is some hardware/timing difference which triggers the error. Too bad it seems that this software is not being maintained so it can be fixed.
Old 24 February 2016, 21:45   #446
McTrinsic

It's not a general bug.

I have it up and running really stable on the clockport of my XSurf.

Cheers,
McT
Old 24 February 2016, 23:07   #447
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrinsic View Post
It's not a general bug.

Just because it is working on your setup, it can still be a bug when it doesn't work on mine. Persistent bugs tend to only show up in certain situations or they would have been fixed long ago. Also, it is using a different RR driver when connected on the X-Surf as compared to a clockport so there might be a difference there.

I even tried booting a plain, freshly installed WB3.1, installed Poseidon+AmiTCP and still had the same problem, so I don't think it is a software compatibility issue.
Old 24 February 2016, 23:11   #448
klx300r

any issues with RR and CSMKIII ??
Old 24 February 2016, 23:41   #449
McTrinsic

That's why said it aint a general bug.

There is a good chance it will work.

In rare cases it doesn't.

That's all I am saying.

Please be aware I *am* using it on clockport on an older XSurf, _not_ on the XSurf100.

Cheers,
McT
Old 24 February 2016, 23:47   #450
clebin

Quote:
It's not a general bug.

Cheers,
McT
Oh, so it's not a bug because it works on your machine? Okay then. I agree with your earlier message about not going too far with criticism, but messages like this annoy the hell out of me. The fact it works with your configuration means zilch to people affected by this problem.
Old 25 February 2016, 00:08   #451
McTrinsic

I agree to you.

What I try to do is to distinguish between a bug that will always occur and a bug that may occur under certain or specific conditions.

If you do not want to follow this argumentation folgen ahead.

Cheers,
McT
Old 25 February 2016, 00:41   #452
clebin

Quote:
I agree to you.

What I try to do is to distinguish between a bug that will always occur and a bug that may occur under certain or specific conditions.

If you do not want to follow this argumentation folgen ahead.

Cheers,
McT
I apologise for my tone - I'm a bit sleep deprived with a new baby but I shouldn't have got mad. I see your point but for me the meaning of 'general' is just semantics. I don't think that the distinction is that important given how critical the bug is for a percentage of the target systems. I just think the situation and the way it's being handled is a real shame.
Old 25 February 2016, 00:52   #453
McTrinsic

You're welcome.
I have two kids and was sleepless for almost 4 years.

It's worth it
Old 26 February 2016, 19:49   #454
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Sorry for not posting for such a long time here - didn't even read all the (negative) comments on previous pages.

The good news is that I finally found the time to set the machine up that I got from JDB. I can reproduce the problem, and we've started to investigate it: It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem, as all access methods work fine, and a test routine specifically written to fix this issue doesn't show any errors.

Next step is to continue searching in the software. With the hardware-test being completed without any issues found, the good news for *everyone* is that nothing has to be shipped back to Germany. This frees the logic analyzer-space on my desk, and I can move on to another project where I need that equipment. The A4000D will move to another desk where I can run test-software that I get through the net.

Jens
Old 26 February 2016, 19:52   #455
roomeo

Old 26 February 2016, 21:30   #456
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
The good news is that I finally found the time to set the machine up that I got from JDB. I can reproduce the problem, and we've started to investigate it: It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem, as all access methods work fine, and a test routine specifically written to fix this issue doesn't show any errors.
Sounds great that some progress is being made towards solving this issue that seems to affect so many people.

Any chance you could also test the issues that I seem to have with my A600? I think it should be a common platform for you since it is all IC hardware in it.
A600 rev. 2D + ACA620 rev. 2 + A604(not n) + Indivision ECS (with fix) + RapidRoad + Asixeth-based USB Ethernet adapter (similar to Apple model, however this is a cheap copy). 5V@floppy header is around 4.75V is that is significant (it is 5V inside PSU).
After a little ethernet traffic through either AmiTCP or Miami, Poseidon seems to crash, reporting ethernet nak timeouts. The quickest way to reproduce it is to connect the Ethernet adapter before powering on the Amiga and then it will crash usually after doing just 2-3 ping packets, sometimes even before it manages to get one through.

I have no issues with USB keyboard or mice so it seems limited to Ethernet.

Last edited by demolition; 26 February 2016 at 22:09.
Old 01 March 2016, 12:22   #457
zharn

i just fired up my a4000 and tried Thor's 68040.library and still NAK timeout

Good to see some progress
Old 02 March 2016, 10:20   #458
Benfromnorway

While everyone who suffers from bugs, be they general or specific, surely got the right to be frustrated, i think it's important to keep from negativity and slur about the few hardware developers we have left.

As Jens just prowed, (although it might feel late as forever for the frustrated, unlucky ones), he, and probably most of them will take reports seriously and act upon them when they got the time.

I bet most of the developers we got, use their spare time for amiga as they probably need other ways to make an income.

Be positive, the Amiga way. :-)

Old 02 March 2016, 12:45   #459
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Sorry for not posting for such a long time here - didn't even read all the (negative) comments on previous pages.
Thanks for giving us an update. The fact it doesn't look like a (edit!) hardware issue comes as a great relief. Most of us don't want to be negative and I hope this shows that a few words go a long way! Thanks again.

Quote:
You're welcome.
I have two kids and was sleepless for almost 4 years.
4 years? Oh no, what have I done!

Last edited by clebin; 03 March 2016 at 11:46.
Old 03 March 2016, 00:47   #460
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
Thanks for giving us an update. The fact it doesn't look like a software issue comes as a great relief.
Does look like a software issue. Does not look like a hardware issue. Right?