English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinFellow

Old 24 July 2009, 22:38   #1
superturrican2

Mount an HDF in wb1.3 under Fellow (Dos/Win)

Hi!

I have a problem mounting a .HDF with WinFellow and DOSFellow under Workbench 1.3.

I use this emulator instead of WinUAE 'cause I need to run it on an older notebook (Fellow is much faster than WinUAE).

this is what i did:

What's wrong in my mount list ?

doesn't work with WinFellow and DosFellow =(

very very thanks
Turrican
Old 24 July 2009, 22:58   #2
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
This doesn't look too good.

This is from the help file: (WinFellow_FAQ.txt)

Quote:
Also make sure you use a Kickstart version 2.0 or newer; with Kickstart 1.x
the only way to use hardfiles is by the use of mount files (perhaps I'll
explain this in a later version of the FAQ) and booting from them is
impossible
(since the old Kickstart versions don't support Autoconfig).
Old 24 July 2009, 23:14   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by superturrican2 View Post
I use this emulator instead of WinUAE 'cause I need to run it on an older notebook (Fellow is much faster than WinUAE).
Have you tried older (contemporary) versions of WinUAE?

Edit: You might have to mount a Windows folder rather than a hard disk file.

Last edited by prowler; 24 July 2009 at 23:22.
Old 25 July 2009, 09:26   #4
superturrican2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
This doesn't look too good.
This is from the help file: (WinFellow_FAQ.txt)
I don't want to boot from the hardfile!
I know I cant boot without FS in the RDB emulator support.

But... I just want to mount it!
I changed the original WB1.3 floppy with the mountlist required to mount an hardfile in DOSFellow/WinFellow.
But it doesn't work =(

I know that a user has succeeded (you, Andreas).
(In the WinUAE thread you said: 'For the record, I was trying to make my WB 1.3 HDF/booter-disk setup compatible to BOTH Fellow and WinUAE.').

I would like to know where I am wrong.
I have created the mountlist based on the WinUAE docs since I have not found a mountlist for DOSFellow/WINFellow, someone has one?

--------

after many test now I can say that it's impossible to mount an HDF under WB1.3 with Fellow since the 'fhfile.device' required to use HDF is not available under KS1.x.
I think Fellow automatically disable this device if a KS1.x is found!
---------

yep! DOSFellow disabled it =(
(WinFellow too, 'Enable/Disable auto-config' will not take effect if you use KS1.3)

any method/way to force enabling fhfile.device ? or just grab it and put on WB1.3evs ?

Last edited by superturrican2; 25 July 2009 at 16:47.
Old 25 July 2009, 20:20   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by superturrican2 View Post
I know that a user has succeeded (you, Andreas).
(In the WinUAE thread you said: 'For the record, I was trying to make my WB 1.3 HDF/booter-disk setup compatible to BOTH Fellow and WinUAE.').
Sorry man, I just forgot about it completely!
Yes i ONCE had this working, however, it was 8 (EIGHT!) years ago that I last fiddled with this so I'm likely to forget about such things in the meantime!

Thanks for jogging my memory again. WB13-booter...hrmm...yes there were some experiments on my side...back in 2001
I must dig around a bit again...

HOWEVER, you must read carefully what I wrote many centuries ago:"'For the record, I was trying to make my WB 1.3 HDF/booter-disk setup compatible to BOTH Fellow and WinUAE."

I *was trying* does not mean that I really succeeded in it
But for the life of me, I don't know anymore whether I did or not.

[edit] What I do know is that I don't have this wb13booter disk anymore that I once made. I had a HDD head-crash in 2002 which explains why I don't have it anymore; and these were pre-2002 experiments, so ...

Last edited by andreas; 25 July 2009 at 21:28.
Old 25 July 2009, 20:43   #6
superturrican2

thanks anyway... At least I tried
Old 27 July 2009, 23:52   #7
hit

have you seen this:
http://www2.gup.jku.at/~tkoeck/kick1....device_patch/
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/GetSCSI11

not done myself, just found it once. maybe worth a look.
Old 28 July 2009, 00:52   #8
Photon

1.3 doesn't support Autoconfig? Lies. At least my SCSI interface and 68040 work fine in kick 1.3 mode.
Old 28 July 2009, 10:57   #9
superturrican2

The problem is that Fellow (and older versions of UAE without A6k/A12k/A4k IDE emulation) does not directly emulate the scsi.device but they use a device to simulate the internal controller for harddisk. In Fellow this device is called 'fhfile.device' and is required to get hardfiles (UAE uses uaehf.device).

without this device it's impossible to mount an harddisk (virtual hardfile). And unfortunately Fellow disables this device if a kickstart 1.x is found. While the UAE doesnt disabled it even if I use kickstart 1.3 (with WB1.3), infact the same mountlist (for WB1.3) that I used in Fellow (and NOT working) with UAE (or DosUAE) it working 100% !!.

I know GetSCSI, but even if I copy the scsi.device from the KS3.0 to the WB1.3-floppy it still could not function because Fellow/UAE not directly emulate the SCSI controller !

The only solution for Fellow is to hack it by enable the fhfile.device even on Kickstart1.3 emulation mode. Or, by grab fhfile.device and copy it to WB1.3:Devs\.

GetSCSI can't grab fhfile.device, only scsi.device.

If someone thinks that I'm wrong, or if someone was able to mount a hardfile in with fellow wb1.x, please let me know.

thanks
Turrican
Old 06 August 2009, 03:16   #10
Photon

Yeah, there might be a technical reason for it in WinFellow. Just bad phrasing in the manual, or maybe taken out of context, dunno.

It's much more likely that older versions of WinUAE run faster on your notebook than newer versions - maybe Toni could tip us off to the "first version with working HDF support" or something, and you could try kick 1.3 in that?

Or perhaps grab the latest stable and ask Toni for configuration tips/commandline options for slower PCs, which would ofc be better if it's still not too slow for your tastes.
Old 30 September 2009, 01:19   #11
Shadowfire

I can make some speculation that the author of Winfellow, when writing the "fhfile.device", uses 2.0-specific exec.library or expansion.library calls.

Having written a hard disk device driver recently myself, you can do the same things under 1.3 but the procedure is different. I just decided to implement my entire device driver using 1.3 calls, which makes the code quite a bit bulkier (you have to supply your own code to create messageports and iorequests, and mounting a hard disk partition is more involved), but works with all 1.3+ revisions of the OS ROM.

There would otherwise be no reason to disable the driver under Kickstart 1.3, so I suspect that even if you did grab the driver, it would crash the machine when using the 2.0+ library calls.

Does the Winfellow distribution come with a "fhfile.device" in it? If so, this may be 1.3 compatible, and you should copy it into your DEVS: directory and use it with your existing mountlist.

Another thing I noticed, is your mountlist is specifying the Old File System. If the .hdf was in fact created with OFS, this is not an issue. If it was created with FFS, though, the mountlist needs to have "DosType = 0x444F5301" and add "Filesystem = L:FastFileSystem" (make sure the FFS binary is in your L: directory).

Last edited by Shadowfire; 30 September 2009 at 01:29.