English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 03 January 2012, 08:19   #1
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Help with creating a new drive button in DirOpus

I have a C Compiler environment with a toll named DirOpus - in it I can access most relevant drives eg DF0: DH0: DH1: - i need to access DF1: which it does not come with oput of the box - I am sure there is a way to assign a new drive so that it can manage one more drive - there are a few extra buttons that have not been assigned - I would like to try an assign a new button to access a DF1;. Does anyone know how to do that?

Then I hit the "C" button it goes here:

Then I select the "Drives" button - it goes here:

[IMG=http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2964/drivespage.png][/IMG]

Am I on the right track? Any input is welcome!

Last edited by Morbane; 07 January 2012 at 07:03. Reason: (RESOLVED)
Old 03 January 2012, 08:28   #2
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

click on the get drives it will add what drives are there then you can remove or swap with delete drive or swap drive
Old 03 January 2012, 08:40   #3
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Thanks johnim

I actually figured it out - I simply added DF1: to the proper fields and designated the path as simply DF1: and put in an empty disk and voila! I now have a DF1: button in DirOpus!

My C compiler environment has likw 300k space so I needed an alternative to save a C files - now its is all god - I just hope it stays there after a reboot - that happens sometimes - but now that I have the basics I could probably find the _ make it permanent button as well.

EDIT: Yep pushing "Save" did the trick because I just pushed "Use" the first go.

Last edited by Morbane; 04 January 2012 at 22:35.
Old 03 January 2012, 12:44   #4
daxb

You can get a list of all devices/volumes/assigns if you click on the left or right screen border (lister).
Old 03 January 2012, 14:06   #5
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
indeed I tend to make a button that gets all devices and have a couple of buttons set up for df0: and df1: that way when I move my config file from one machine to another I don`t have to keep rescanning all the drives
Old 03 January 2012, 19:51   #6
Leffmann

You can just type DF1: in the directory field, but you probably knew that already. If you instead create a new larger hard drive image and copy your Workbench installation to there, then you can work more conveniently without having to make use of an array of ADF disk images to save your files. At least to me it makes no sense using floppy disks when you have a hard drive.

In the CLI, type "copy sys: newharddrive: all clone quiet" and use the new drive and do away with the old one and reboot, then type "relabel dh0: gcc-amigaos".

Last edited by Leffmann; 03 January 2012 at 20:01.
Old 03 January 2012, 23:40   #7
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

Leffmann - that sounds like a great idea. So I tried it and I followed the rest of the directions and now I have a huge ammount of disk space on the new GCC_AmigaOS - BUT there are 2 of them now the old and the new - can I just delete the old one - and how do I "do away with the old one"?? I tried "delete" but it said there was no such file...

OK I did away with the old gcc-amigaos now the compiler environment starts from my new hard drive - giving gigabytes of space. 2 things though: It wont let me rename the new hard drive to GCC-AmigaOS and the pop up says tp please insert CGG-AmigaOS which I just cancel and it seems ok - but it is annoying. Any ideas of how to get rid of that message or make my new hard drive KEEP its new name of GCC-AmigaOS??

EDIT: OK I just went into my Hard Drive folder and changed the name of the directory to GCC-AmigaOS - and with a little fiddling it is functioning right spanky
Kind of annoying to post and post then get the answer myself - but I think just getting the problem into words helps. Thanks any way and especially Leffmann who suggested to do this way.

Last edited by Morbane; 04 January 2012 at 01:48.
Old 04 January 2012, 01:22   #8
Leffmann

Use a hard drive image, not a Windows directory. Only use shared Windows directories for transient files, never run your actual Workbench installation off of them.
Old 04 January 2012, 04:17   #9
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

I'm pretty sure that is what I did - I mean the space has to come from somewhere - but the actual harddrive is a HDF that the c compiler environment uses. Is that the correct way?
Old 04 January 2012, 07:58   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Use a hard drive image, not a Windows directory. Only use shared Windows directories for transient files, never run your actual Workbench installation off of them.
Why? Rumors not accepted. WB works fine from directory.
EDIT: "Why" as in "whats the problem?" so that it can be fixed.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 04 January 2012 at 08:09.
Old 04 January 2012, 21:50   #11
Leffmann

Because of AmigaDOS file flags, since there's no guarantee they are retained after f.ex archiving or transfer of the directory. Since Morbane is just getting acquainted with WinUAE I thought it was better to tell him to use a real hard drive image to avoid any problems. I wasn't trying to start any rumors or imply that this feature in WinUAE was broken or buggy.
Old 05 January 2012, 07:22   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Because of AmigaDOS file flags, since there's no guarantee they are retained after f.ex archiving or transfer of the directory. Since Morbane is just getting acquainted with WinUAE I thought it was better to tell him to use a real hard drive image to avoid any problems. I wasn't trying to start any rumors or imply that this feature in WinUAE was broken or buggy.
Less confusing answer would have been: "Never unpack any Amiga program using Windows tools because it will cause lost file attributes. Unless you know it is safe to unpack and no special Amiga attributes are used."

Previous answer seems to say that directory harddrives may not work in WB, nothing about possible dangers of using it to transfer data between Windows and Amiga. (MUI is the most common problem)

OP: Best way is to simply drag the archive on WinUAE WB desktop, it handles all special attributes correctly.
Old 12 January 2012, 13:50   #13
Morbane
Sub-Dimensional Array

so far i have been having good results from doing it the suggested way. That said - It is working great now.

Last edited by Morbane; 12 January 2012 at 14:00.