English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 August 2017, 09:40   #1
c0dehunter

My GoteK drive no longer shows '000'

Hello everyone,
OK, my GoteK drive was working just fine on my A500 (1.2), until tonight, when I tried longer data and power cables, and powered back on my A500, the GoteK drive longer shows the red '000' file counter. I can hear the ticking sound of the GoteK drive, but after so many resets and power cycles, still not go.

I went back to the original shorter data and power cables that came with the GoteK unit, but still no go: No '000' .

1) I made sure nothing was plugged incorrectly, and powered the system OFF, when I was installing the cables.

2) I have also tried many different USB sticks, copied over fresh SELECTOR.ADF file, with no luck. The red LED files number '000' simply does not appear.

3) Pressing the back and forth black button (or simultaneously to make 000) also does not work.

4) Jumper is on S0

5) Is there anyway to 'reset' these GoteK drives back to the default settings? Can they really go faulty?

I have ran out of ideas.

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by c0dehunter; 27 August 2017 at 11:02.
Old 27 August 2017, 20:45   #2
c0dehunter

My Gotek unit is the one with the buzzer (emulates the floppy drive sound, making a chirping sound): Some say that these units are inherently faulty. Is this true?

Anyone please?
Old 27 August 2017, 20:54   #3
Jeff_HxC2001

What is displayed on the gotek screen ?
Old 27 August 2017, 21:14   #4
c0dehunter

Nothing!

The triple digit LED display is simply lit off ( its supposed to be red)

I can hear the Gitek Drive ticking (just like a real Floppy drive, waiting for a diskette), but nothing else.

Can I reset these units back to default?
Old 27 August 2017, 21:31   #5
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0dehunter View Post
Nothing!

The triple digit LED display is simply lit off ( its supposed to be red)

I can hear the Gitek Drive ticking (just like a real Floppy drive, waiting for a diskette), but nothing else.

Can I reset these units back to default?

is it the cortex firmware ? (anyway i don't think that there is something to reset since no parameter are stored into the flash.)

first check the power supply voltage and the psu floppy connector.
Old 27 August 2017, 22:41   #6
E-Penguin
Banana

Are you sure the power cable is delivering enough voltage/current? Longer wire = more resistance = maybe you're under 5v at the drive.
Old 28 August 2017, 05:30   #7
c0dehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Are you sure the power cable is delivering enough voltage/current? Longer wire = more resistance = maybe you're under 5v at the drive.
Well, if you read my original post carefully, I mentioned that I have re-connected the original power/data cables (that came with it) back. I even connected the *actual* internal floppy disk drive, just to make sure it is not the floppy connector on the motherboard has gone bad: The real floppy drive works perfectly both with the power/cable that came with the Gotek, and the longer one that I ordered from eBay.

I know something must have gone wrong with the Gotek drive.

I wish I could fix it, I barely used it since last year that I ordered it.
Old 28 August 2017, 05:36   #8
c0dehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
is it the cortex firmware ? (anyway i don't think that there is something to reset since no parameter are stored into the flash.)

first check the power supply voltage and the psu floppy connector.

I am not sure, but the firmware is the one that works with A500/A600. I have not tried to flash the firmware by any means.

Both items (the actual Gotek Drive, and the longer data/power cable) were bought last year from eBay (from two different sellers):

Floppy diskette data power cable extension set for Amiga Atari Gotek 40cm NEW
( 111316003439 )

Amiga USB Floppy Disk Drive SOUND & BLUE LED A500/600/1200/2000/3000/4000 Gotek
( 262442429856 )
Old 28 August 2017, 10:05   #9
supaduper

Ok lets analyse what occurred , Everything was working till you tried the new cable, then you had problems so obviously there was an error either by the user or the equipment.
I would try to do as jeff suggests and reflash the Gotek if you have a USB to USB female cable you can do it easily.

I have seen a blown resistor on the power circuit before on the Gotek board , take the cover off and have a look by the USB connector .like this one, R2 had damage to it .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gotek resistor.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	54350

Last edited by supaduper; 28 August 2017 at 14:51.
Old 28 August 2017, 11:04   #10
Jeff_HxC2001

Reflashing seems to me completely useless. But this may be a mean to check that the MCU is not completely dead and still answer to DFU requests...
Old 28 August 2017, 13:07   #11
fordav1

re-flashing it is easy, just do it using cheap PL2303HX usb ttl adapter ($5) for Cortex firmware.
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...doc/Install.md
once set up with the things needed, the Gotek can be re-flashed in about 10 seconds.
I suspect flashing won't work because you've blown it up.
Regardless, the Gotek will work without the display so if it is doing nothing with a pre-configured USB drive then your Gotek is toasted.
So buy another and next time be more careful with it.
Better to buy cheap Chinese PC version ($10) and flash it yourself rather than bend over and take it up the rear by buying from vultures selling "Amiga Gotek". That way you might actually learn something too.....

Last edited by fordav1; 28 August 2017 at 13:14.
Old 28 August 2017, 14:29   #12
Sinphaltimus

Is it possible to connect the power cable in the wrong orientation on your goTek? You may have done that with the new cable and again when you reverted back. I've read about that happening to soe users (connecting the power reversed) - sometimes it kills the GoTek, and in at least one case, it did not.
Old 28 August 2017, 16:24   #13
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Is it possible to connect the power cable in the wrong orientation on your goTek?
In my experience it only killed the USB stick, there is a power regulator on the Gotek that protects everything else (the power to the USB stick goes directly and unfiltered)
Old 28 August 2017, 18:04   #14
fordav1

also the power connector is keyed like all other floppy drives are so it will only go one way. It is possible to put it in backwards if you ram it in there and force it hard, but doing that will send +12v through the 5 volt rail and basically fry it instantly and you'd know if you did that because you'd let the magic smoke out of at least one IC ;-)
Old 28 August 2017, 20:25   #15
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordav1 View Post
also the power connector is keyed like all other floppy drives are so it will only go one way. It is possible to put it in backwards if you ram it in there and force it hard, but doing that will send +12v through the 5 volt rail and basically fry it instantly
None of this is true.
- The way it happened to me was because my A500 didn't have a plastic "wedge" to make it fit only one way, it only had 4 pins and no visible indication of which side was 12V and which side was 5V. So it was very much possible to put it backwards, rather, it was absolutely easy, and a 50/50 chance
- So what happened is that it DID send +12V through the 5V rail. It did NOT fry the Gotek, it fried the USB stick. As I said above, the Gotek has a voltage regulator connected on the 5V rail with specs that allow it to throttle down the +12V to 5V (might actually be 3.3V or both), so the Gotek was spared. The 5V line goes straight to the USB port though, so the USB stick got burned.
- No smoke was involved in the process whatsoever :P
Old 28 August 2017, 23:06   #16
c0dehunter

Thanks for your kind responses. I am really at a loss, as what to do next: I am definitely planning to buy another one (without the Buzzer), but something tells me this unit is still alive (the fact that it clicks, and not dead): Its red '000' LED display and the Blue lights are not lit however.
Old 28 August 2017, 23:21   #17
Amiga1992

You really need to try to reflash it, if the flasher tool does not recognize the STM chip then yeah it is 100% dead. Also you should try FlashFloppy.

Tell you what, I can do this for you if you want, I'll send you a PM. Dunno where in the US you are but I reckon we can sort this out within a week.
Old 28 August 2017, 23:38   #18
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0dehunter View Post
but something tells me this unit is still alive (the fact that it clicks, and not dead)
I don't think you can read anything into the sound circuit still working - the buzzer is driven from the Amiga's step signal, and would still work if the rest of the Gotek was missing.
Old 28 August 2017, 23:39   #19
c0dehunter

Got your PM, thanks!

Yes, it is the one that has the Buzzer installed, hence my report of its still 'clicking'. It is unfortunate that this mod is not 100% stable and causes the Gotek to go back, as I really like the feature and its click-y sound.

Let me see if I can flash it myself, if not, then I will...

Thx!
Old 29 August 2017, 00:11   #20
Amiga1992

Changing the modification is also easy for me to do.
I have plenty of time so, yeah, let me know.
You can ask anyone here about me for trust purposes, you can also find my profile on Amibay with my user feedback, just so you know I won't steal your Gotek