English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 27 June 2013, 23:02   #321
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by profo View Post
Hi,
i used the elimination method and found the file that gives the trouble.
I´ve checked the "Launcher.log.txt", and, to my spurprise, it reffered to another .lha. I needed some attempts to get the log showing the right file... (i verified that the error comes whenever THIS specific file was added to the dir) ...strange.
I will send you the .lha (that is nothing Special) and the Launcher.log.txt from the last scan (renamed the old file before i did the scan, so this should be as clean as possible) by mail.
Thank you for finding and sending the file . I can confirm that I too experience the crash when trying to index this file with the Windows version of FS-UAE Launcher, so that bodes well for a fix (the crash did not happen with the Linux version, but that may just be a "happy accident"). It may take some time to fix this, so my recommendation is to just put this file away for the time being
Old 28 June 2013, 08:42   #322
profo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
It may take some time to fix this, so my recommendation is to just put this file away for the time being
Please take your time, there are plenty of other things to try (for me). My Intention was not to create more work for you, but i´m regulary stumbling over "unusual" things (like this here or UFO "cr Bad Karma")... our programmers @work can sing some songs about that

regards
profo
Old 09 July 2013, 17:15   #323
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
I love this OSX like style of the Launcher, but in this case it maybe might be better to activate the old non OSX conform look of this wxWidgets thing. Did I remember it correctly that the titlebar in the beginning had a more linux look with a non "unified" title? With that look you can exactly predict where you have to click when you like to drag the window around, maybe thats still better than the more beautiful but a bit irritating OSX look&feel implementation of wxWidget.
I have infact reverted to the toolbar / tab implementation used on the other platforms in 2.3.3. The OS X-specific toolbar was a bit of a hack, and it did not work as well as the custom tab bar (and more work to maintain it as well).

Quote:
Please take your time, there are plenty of other things to try (for me). My Intention was not to create more work for you, but i´m regulary stumbling over "unusual" things (like this here or UFO "cr Bad Karma")... our programmers @work can sing some songs about that
Look at it from the other side, you may have spared me even more additional work in the future after I have fixed it, since I won't then have to respond to bug reports for it ;-)
Old 15 July 2013, 10:00   #324
profo

Hi Frode,
today i have a Feature Request.

Can the launcher detect wether or not there is an Internet Connection, and if there is none, disable its online Feature (preserve downloaded items until they are updated)?

The Situation:
At the weekend my internet connection was sometimes down. This happend shortly before the launcher was scanning (i didnt recognise). It then deleted or disabled (nothing was shown) all prev. downloaded configuration items (after trying to connect numerous times i canceled the scan), my "Games and Configurations" window was empty and i was shocked...

I think it would be a good thing to have this. It would enable people to have their "amiga" working without internet connection. Maybe at first let the launcher download the complete database (at first run) and after that only update this? Sadly, it would be a rather large download with all the pictures, so maybe add an option for not downloading them?

best regards
profo
Old 15 July 2013, 10:19   #325
TCD

The launcher only scans if you select it from the menu (and only updates the database if you click on the refresh button). There's no automatic scanning and the launcher works fine even without an internet connection when the online database is enabled. Could describe how it happened?

The pictures are only downloaded 'on demand', but you can get all of them at once here: http://oagd.net/download
Old 15 July 2013, 10:34   #326
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
At the weekend my internet connection was sometimes down. This happend shortly before the launcher was scanning (i didnt recognise). It then deleted or disabled (nothing was shown) all prev. downloaded configuration items (after trying to connect numerous times i canceled the scan), my "Games and Configurations" window was empty and i was shocked...
Hi, there are a couple of cases where the game database is reset:
* When you update to the development version, the database will be reset due to database schema changes (and the database will be download again).
* The server also has a DB VERSION number which can be incremented, in which case the clients will do a full re-download of the database (last version bump was a couple of months ago).

In no case should will this cause data loss of course, only cached information is cleared / re-downloaded, but if the Internet connection goes down during the process, the database will be unavailable until it is fully updated. Perhaps you have encountered one of these scenarios?

In other cases, only changes are downloaded, and the database should not be cleared - internet connection or not.
Old 15 July 2013, 10:38   #327
profo

Hi TCD,

i know that i have to trigger the scan by myself.

Step by step:
at first, i had internet connection and all scans were working fine.

1. Internet connection dropped (unrecognised)
2. i added some adf´s to my game dir (this step seems not to be mandatory )
3. let the launcher scan (online DB enabled and credentials filled in)
4. canceled the scan after recognising that internet connection is down and launcher is trying to connect on and on (didnt know how long he will try before he decides to cancel that by himself)
5. Database / "Games and Configurations" window empty

edit: 6. seems to be another "special profo case"
Old 15 July 2013, 10:52   #328
TCD

Ah, that makes more sense then So basically you mean that cancel should restore the database before the scan.
Old 15 July 2013, 11:01   #329
profo

Hi,

this didnt came to my mind, thank you for this.
This would be the best (and i think the easier task for frode to implement) option.
But still, what happens to the database if online support is enabled and there is no internet connection (and the scan is not canceled)? Will the launcher try to connect forever? Will the db be cleared?

Last edited by profo; 15 July 2013 at 11:07.
Old 15 July 2013, 11:13   #330
TCD

Quote:
Will the launcher try to connect forever?
That's what would happen Restoring the old database would make the most sense if you click on cancel anyway (no matter for which reason)
Old 18 July 2013, 10:22   #331
waal

Hey,

I've just installed the latest launcher and I see a lot was done. Impressive. Congratulations and thanks for the software and to all the contributors of the online database.

(I've had a problem with multiple disks archives but I've just solved it)

I've still got an issue: I can't mount zipped HDF. Apparently this isn't supported. I'm asking because I have a whole set of zipped whd games I also use on another platform that doesn't feature an included WHDload loader.

Last edited by waal; 18 July 2013 at 10:33.
Old 18 July 2013, 10:28   #332
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waal View Post
It appears that the database only displays the first disk of the archive. Is there a solution to include the others disks ?
The launcher should behave the same way whether the disks are zipped together or not, when using games from the online database.

My guess is that you chose a game where floppy_drive_count is set to 1 (most likely because the game only supports one floppy drive). - Or do you have a general problem with all games?
Old 18 July 2013, 10:35   #333
waal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
The launcher should behave the same way whether the disks are zipped together or not, when using games from the online database.

My guess is that you chose a game where floppy_drive_count is set to 1 (most likely because the game only supports one floppy drive). - Or do you have a general problem with all games?
Problem solved, thanks. I didn't look enough, sorry.
Old 16 December 2013, 07:32   #334
esc

Hi,

Great program, firstly I use this on my mac frequently.

Now, the bad news. I have a linux machine (crunchbang 11, based on debian wheezy 7.2, kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64). I just downloaded the latest development version 2.3.13dev and tried installing and running it. It flags and quits here:

Code:
Unhandled exception detected in thread MainThread:
  AttributeError:fs-uae-launcher:<module>:73

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/fs-uae-launcher", line 73, in <module>
    application.start()
AttributeError: FSUAELauncher instance has no attribute 'start'

Unhandled exception detected in thread MainThread:
  AttributeError:fs-uae-launcher:<module>:73

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/fs-uae-launcher", line 73, in <module>
    application.start()
AttributeError: FSUAELauncher instance has no attribute 'start'
Not sure where to go from here. I'm not a python guy or I'd try to figure this one out myself. Now, other strangeness:

1 - There's an error with trying to import the lzhlib module. Is this something I should be grabbing externally?
2 - I had 2.3.12dev previously and while it seemingly worked, when I would try to crawl my game dirs with all my whdload games (just like on my mac) it would quit out and throw some kind of ASCII parsing error. Reading the threads previously suggested to me that this was an issue with non supported characters in filenames and directories.

Can you please help me fix these problems? The first main problem is that it won't run as stated initially. The other three problems are less major and one of them I don't even know if it is still a problem because I can't get far enough to test it.

Thanks!

Old 16 December 2013, 17:31   #335
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
I just downloaded the latest development version 2.3.13dev and tried installing and running it. It flags and quits here:
Is it possible you have two versions installed on your system? Perhaps the fs-uae-launcher scripts finds modules from an older version? I cannot know for sure, and you haven't really mentioned what/how you have installed it.

Quote:
1 - There's an error with trying to import the lzhlib module. Is this something I should be grabbing externally?
If you want support for .lha files, you need http://fengestad.no/python-lhafile/

Quote:
2 - I had 2.3.12dev previously and while it seemingly worked, when I would try to crawl my game dirs with all my whdload games (just like on my mac) it would quit out and throw some kind of ASCII parsing error.
I need a log file... (fs-uae-launcher.log.txt). FS-UAE Launcher and FS-UAE generally supports Unicode / UTF-8 so "special characters" are generally supported, but there could always be a bug somewhere...
Old 17 December 2013, 07:38   #336
esc

Thanks for the response. I installed the stable version, then installed 2.3.12dev (I believe right on top of it), then installed the 2.3.13dev version on top of that. What's the easiest way to completely remove the installation of all components and then reinstall?

Thanks for the response on the lzh/lha files

I should mention fs-uae seems to run fine. It's just the launcher I'm running into issues with.

Update - I had some artifacts from 2.3.12dev in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/. I removed all references to fs-uae-launcher in that directory and reinstalled. Seems good now. Going to try to crawl my whdload stuff

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 17 December 2013 at 14:49. Reason: Merged posts

Old 17 December 2013, 14:53   #337
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
What's the easiest way to completely remove the installation of all components and then reinstall?
If you install manually with setup.py, there's no uninstall feature as far as I know. Instead, I recommend you install .deb files instead, so the package is always completely upgraded (or uninstalled). You can either yourself easily build a package by running
Code:
fakeroot debian/rules clean binary
or you can probably just add and use the Debian 7.0 repository...
Old 18 December 2013, 13:29   #338
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Hi Frode, how do you start FS-UAE Arcade? (the Game Center screen)? I feel like I must be missing something obvious. I click on FS-UAE arcade in my windows start menu but it just loads FS-UAE launcher, infact it points to the fs-uae-launcher.exe file. I've set up the launcher so that it is syncing with the online database. But I don't know how to get into the mode with the cool coverflow menu which I've seen pictures of on the net. I am using fs-uae-suite_2.3.13dev_windows.exe

Last edited by twenty90seven; 18 December 2013 at 13:41.
Old 18 December 2013, 17:32   #339
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty90seven View Post
I click on FS-UAE arcade in my windows start menu but it just loads FS-UAE launcher, infact it points to the fs-uae-launcher.exe file.
It is supposed to point to fs-uae-launcher.exe --arcade (note the extra argument). The installer creates the correct shortcut on my test system

Does it work if you delete the shortcut and re-run the installer?
Old 18 December 2013, 23:38   #340
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

@twenty90seven sorry, my fault, I forgot I renamed the parameter to --fs-uae-arcade because I needed --arcade for something else. But I forgot to update the shortcut - will fix.

EDIT: Should be fixed in the new 2.3.15dev release

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 19 December 2013 at 01:21.