English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 May 2009, 06:06   #21
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

I'm starting to think that it might be my Lexar CF card. What CF cards work with the adapter? I thought I read somewhere that Sandisk cards work.
Old 21 May 2009, 20:14   #22
UncleSpam

Chances are that it's not your card. Unless you use an off-brand CF card.

FYI, I'm using a Kingston 2GB for the transfer CF card (via PCMCIA) and a 4GB Sandisk CF card as the "internal" HDD.

I also tested Lexar with no problems.

- Bogdan
Old 21 May 2009, 22:12   #23
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Well I have a Sandisk II Ultra coming in a week or so, so I guess we'll see. I need that Lexar card back for my NES Powerpack anyway.
Old 27 May 2009, 05:00   #24
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Ok I got the new CF card and it works just fine. My real Amiga sees it through the adapter. However WinUAE only sees it as CF0:???. Do I have to install special drivers for WinUAE to see the CF card?
Old 27 May 2009, 08:38   #25
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest 2084 View Post
Ok I got the new CF card and it works just fine. My real Amiga sees it through the adapter. However WinUAE only sees it as CF0:???. Do I have to install special drivers for WinUAE to see the CF card?
My crystall ball is currently missing.
Old 27 May 2009, 09:22   #26
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Well, he said a bit further above that "the new CF card" is a Sandisk II Ultra ...
Old 27 May 2009, 14:21   #27
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
My crystall ball is currently missing.
I'm sorry, perhaps I should provide more information for people who haven't been reading this novel.

I've been trying to get my PCMCIA to CF adapter working on my Amiga 1200. For the longest time my Amiga would not see the card, but I just got myself a Sandisk Ultra II and the 1200 now sees the card.

My question now is: How do I get WinUAE to see the card properly? I can't transfer things from my PC to my Amiga 1200 unless I can get both machines to see the card. I can't understand why the real 1200 sees the card and the emulator does not (it just sees it as CF0:???). I assume this is because I'm missing some device driver like the kind I installed on the 1200. I was hoping that WinUAE somehow had this functionality bulit in, but the more I think about it that wouldn't make sense since this is probably a software issue not a hardware one.

That being said, what can I do to make WinUAE see the card? I suppose I can try and mount my A: on my PC to make WinUAE see it as a disk drive and try and install the drivers from my disk, but I don't know if that is even possible. Can I download and install the drivers from somewhere? Do I even need to do this, or is there a much simpler way that I'm missing?
Old 27 May 2009, 14:32   #28
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

How did you format the card? Amiga formatted or FAT formatted?

If FAT-formatted: enable "automount removable drives" in WinUAE harddrive configuration. (and ignore CF0:, you don't need it in emulation in this case)

If Amiga formatted: need to add the CF as a harddrive.
Old 27 May 2009, 15:54   #29
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
How did you format the card? Amiga formatted or FAT formatted?

If FAT-formatted: enable "automount removable drives" in WinUAE harddrive configuration. (and ignore CF0:, you don't need it in emulation in this case)

If Amiga formatted: need to add the CF as a harddrive.
Ahh I need to add it as a HD then, ok.

It was originally formatted as FAT32 and oddly enough the real Amiga saw it (confused the hell right out of me), but then I reformatted it on the Amiga in Amiga format.

I assume the Amiga can't write to a FAT32 formatted card, correct? Odd that it detected it though.
Old 28 May 2009, 04:17   #30
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Ok dumb question. I replaced my Amiga HD with a CF (as I mentioned in another thread which I can't find right now). I want to install ClassicWB onto it, so I have to copy the system.zip file to DH0. I assumed that my CF card would be called DH0 as it is my hard drive now, but my Amiga doesn't seem to think DH0 exists. I went to the HDToolbox to look and see where DH0 was (I have three volumes on my HD and I thought maybe one of those was it), but it doesn't show any hard drives at all!

Now I'm completely confused. Where the heck is DH0?
Old 28 May 2009, 20:48   #31
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Ok dumb question. I replaced my Amiga HD with a CF (as I mentioned in another thread which I can't find right now). I want to install ClassicWB onto it, so I have to copy the system.zip file to DH0. I assumed that my CF card would be called DH0 as it is my hard drive now, but my Amiga doesn't seem to think DH0 exists. I went to the HDToolbox to look and see where DH0 was (I have three volumes on my HD and I thought maybe one of those was it), but it doesn't show any hard drives at all!

Now I'm completely confused. Where the heck is DH0?
Bit confusing,

So you have CF connected as Primary HDD?

If so, then it should show up in HDToolbox. If not, then you have a connection problem.

Does it show up in Format app in system folder?

What happens at power up, what does the early startup menu say, if that doesnt see it then you deffo have a connection problem.

What else have you got connected?

Quote:
Ahh I need to add it as a HD then, ok.

It was originally formatted as FAT32 and oddly enough the real Amiga saw it (confused the hell right out of me), but then I reformatted it on the Amiga in Amiga format.

I assume the Amiga can't write to a FAT32 formatted card, correct? Odd that it detected it though.
Why wouldnt it see it, its detecting the hardware not whats on the drive.
Old 28 May 2009, 21:00   #32
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Bit confusing,

So you have CF connected as Primary HDD?

If so, then it should show up in HDToolbox. If not, then you have a connection problem.

Does it show up in Format app in system folder?

What happens at power up, what does the early startup menu say, if that doesnt see it then you deffo have a connection problem.

What else have you got connected?
Yes I have a CF card as the Primary HDD. The HDD has three volumes: Workbench (which I assume is HD0), Games, and Programs. I have Workbench 3.1 installed on it and it boots up just fine. Everything seems to function normally and I haven't seen any issues. I set the card up using WinUAE, not my actual Amiga.

Do I have to boot from WB Disk 1 to use HDToolbox, or can I insert it at any time and use it? I'm not booting from it, so maybe that's the issue? Currently HDToolbox doesn't show anything available in it.
Old 29 May 2009, 01:54   #33
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Yes I have a CF card as the Primary HDD. The HDD has three volumes: Workbench (which I assume is HD0), Games, and Programs. I have Workbench 3.1 installed on it and it boots up just fine. Everything seems to function normally and I haven't seen any issues. I set the card up using WinUAE, not my actual Amiga.

Do I have to boot from WB Disk 1 to use HDToolbox, or can I insert it at any time and use it? I'm not booting from it, so maybe that's the issue? Currently HDToolbox doesn't show anything available in it.
I think I know why, did you change the the tool info on hdtoolbox in tools/ on DH0:
You mighy have altered scsi.device to to something else. If this is the case then such a device may not exist on real miggy, hence it see's nothing.

3.1 toolbox aint like 3.9 toolbox or other varients, where it scans for all devices.

No you dont need to use the install disk for toolbox, its installed o nthe hdd, in dh0:tools/
Old 29 May 2009, 15:26   #34
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I think I know why, did you change the the tool info on hdtoolbox in tools/ on DH0:
You mighy have altered scsi.device to to something else. If this is the case then such a device may not exist on real miggy, hence it see's nothing.

3.1 toolbox aint like 3.9 toolbox or other varients, where it scans for all devices.

No you dont need to use the install disk for toolbox, its installed o nthe hdd, in dh0:tools/
Ahh yes I did! I remember that now. I changed it so the CF card would boot. Wow, you guys are good. Even I didn't remember I did that...

Hmmm... Does this mean I can't install ClassicWB now? Maybe I can do it under WinUAE? But then if ClassicWB is looking specifically for DH0 won't I still have problems? Do other programs always look for DH0 (like WHDLoad)? Is this going to be a reoccuring issue? I've never heard of anyone who uses a CF card as a HD mention it before...
Old 29 May 2009, 17:28   #35
UncleSpam

Classic WB is not necessarily looking for DH0:, it could also be HD0:, but whatever it is, it has to be a bootable partition.

1. In my A1200, the 4GB CF card (used as the main HDD) is as follows:

- under HDToolbox, I have to select the scsi.device (while it's really IDE, they system sees it as a fake SCSI)
- once inside the HDToolbox main page, I can see and select the CF card (in this case, ELITE PRO CF CARD 4GB 2007)
- if I select the card, I can then move on to partitioning the card
- there I can see the current partitions (DH0: and DH1 and notice that the DH0: partition is bootable and with a boot priority = 0; DH1 is not bootable

The Info AmigaDOS command will also list the available drives.

2. The other CF card plugs into the PCMCIA port and gets mapped as CF0:.

That is a 2GB Kingston Elite CF card, formatted under Windows as FAT16.

I use that for transfers between the Amiga and my PC.

If configured correctly on the Amiga side, the Amiga will see it as a 2GB CF0: device and the PC will see it as a removable drive (once plugged into a CF card reader/adaptor).

So, in my case, I use 2 CF cards on my A1200.

- Bogdan
Old 29 May 2009, 18:25   #36
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSpam View Post
Classic WB is not necessarily looking for DH0:, it could also be HD0:, but whatever it is, it has to be a bootable partition.

1. In my A1200, the 4GB CF card (used as the main HDD) is as follows:

- under HDToolbox, I have to select the scsi.device (while it's really IDE, they system sees it as a fake SCSI)
- once inside the HDToolbox main page, I can see and select the CF card (in this case, ELITE PRO CF CARD 4GB 2007)
- if I select the card, I can then move on to partitioning the card
- there I can see the current partitions (DH0: and DH1 and notice that the DH0: partition is bootable and with a boot priority = 0; DH1 is not bootable

The Info AmigaDOS command will also list the available drives.

2. The other CF card plugs into the PCMCIA port and gets mapped as CF0:.

That is a 2GB Kingston Elite CF card, formatted under Windows as FAT16.

I use that for transfers between the Amiga and my PC.

If configured correctly on the Amiga side, the Amiga will see it as a 2GB CF0: device and the PC will see it as a removable drive (once plugged into a CF card reader/adaptor).

So, in my case, I use 2 CF cards on my A1200.

- Bogdan
That's exactly the same setup I have. Hmm... I'll have to look in HDToolbox and see if I selected scsi.device. Now I don't remember...
Old 30 May 2009, 19:35   #37
UncleSpam

Side note

As a side note... if you ever want to take your CF main hard drive and manage it in WinUAE, I've added a little blurb to this thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=45076

Again, that's if you want to set up the main CF card on WinUAE only.

That's how I started when I wanted to create the environment for my A1200 in WinUAE.

- Bogdan