English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 14 October 2008, 08:25   #1
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

MacroSystems Warp Engine ROM image

My second SCSI boot rom request, this time I'd like to find MacroSystems Warp Engine (A3000/A4000 68040 accelerator) SCSI boot ROM image.

I have one but its rom (27C256 OTP EPROM) seems to be broken, can only read repeating garbage pattern.

Note that I don't have A3000 or A4000 for testing. Yet

But it was confirmed that SCSI wasn't working and dead ROM is one possible (too simple and cheap?) reason.

btw, I think all accelerator/scsi boot roms should be preserved before it is too late, it seems OTP EPROMs aren't very reliable after 15+ years..
Old 14 October 2008, 09:24   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Are there any programs to dump the ROM while running? Could you make one?

Few people with a WarpEngine will have EPROM programmers and even fewer will have PLCC adapters.

Last edited by alexh; 14 October 2008 at 09:30.
Old 14 October 2008, 10:08   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

@Toni:

Not strictly relevant, I know, but there is a scanned manual for the Macrosystems Warp Engine accelerator here:
http://www.l8r.net/install/other/stu..._040_40mhz.lha

Old 14 October 2008, 10:31   #4
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
I have a warp engine and willem. what type of ROM is that ? can it be read by willem ? I know I have a PLCC adapter somewhere that came with willem but not sure if it's compatible.

edit : ok checking some pics, it's a 27c256 in PLCC. I'll check my adapter and see if I can dump it sometime.
Old 14 October 2008, 10:49   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Are there any programs to dump the ROM while running? Could you make one?.
I think it is nearly impossible to write generic autoconfig ROM dumping via software:
- ROM is usually hidden after card has been configured
- data in physical ROM chip may not be in same format as CPU sees it.
- dumping probably requires reseting the system and not letting the OS do the autoconfig
- "real" rom size and offset is unknown. ROM offset in autoconfig data may not point to "real" start of rom. It is possible only part of rom is copied by OS routine and rest of rom by custom code at start of rom. (I think SupraDrive ROM does this)
- poking card's non-rom areas may confuse the card and crash the system
Old 14 October 2008, 10:53   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I have a warp engine and willem. what type of ROM is that ? can it be read by willem ? I know I have a PLCC adapter somewhere that came with willem but not sure if it's compatible.

edit : ok checking some pics, it's a 27c256 in PLCC. I'll check my adapter and see if I can dump it sometime.
Great, thanks. No hurry for obvious reasons

EDIT: Could anyone with working Warp Engine post device version information? ("version full warpdrive.device")

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 14 October 2008 at 13:22.
Old 25 October 2008, 07:34   #7
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Warp Engine ROM just uploaded.

Toni can you check it before I assemble my A3000 again ? is it ok ?

edit: well you're too late I already assembled it anyways, the version number is 40.66 of this rom.

Last edited by coze; 25 October 2008 at 09:36.
Old 25 October 2008, 19:41   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
Warp Engine ROM just uploaded.
Thanks. Contents look ok. (at least it looks much better than my dump)

Quote:
Toni can you check it before I assemble my A3000 again ? is it ok ?

edit: well you're too late I already assembled it anyways, the version number is 40.66 of this rom.
I was still asleep when you posted this
Old 24 January 2018, 15:53   #9
dannyp1

Toni, Did you ever get a chance to look at this rom and possibly make some changes? Things have changed a lot since this was coded and the WarpEngine has taken on a new popularity with the ability to overclock it now. I think many people would have an interest in an updated WarpDrive.device.
Old 24 January 2018, 18:19   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I was never going to do modifications, except to emulate hardware so that rom works correctly in emulation. (Same with other boot roms)

Whats wrong with it?
Old 24 January 2018, 19:16   #11
dannyp1

I have not run into anything yet as far as what I do on my 3000T. But it was coded in the early 90's and I know that scsi.device has gone through many updates and changes since that time. I realize that it is not worth a lot of your time because of the limited amount of people that use the WarpEngine. But I thought that maybe a few things might have gotten your attention if you looked at it. When I researched it online you were about the only person who showed any interest in it at all.

I also want to thank you for the work that you put into PFS3! You took it from a file system that was not easy to install and that users were afraid of to the file system that most of the serious Amigans use now. It is the type of things that you do that keeps the hobby alive.
Old 24 January 2018, 19:36   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp1 View Post
I have not run into anything yet as far as what I do on my 3000T. But it was coded in the early 90's and I know that scsi.device has gone through many updates and changes since that time. I realize that it is not worth a lot of your time because of the limited amount of people that use the WarpEngine. But I thought that maybe a few things might have gotten your attention if you looked at it. When I researched it online you were about the only person who showed any interest in it at all.
It is not same thing. There is more than one scsi.device and it is mostly A600/A1200/A4000 IDE scsi.device that needed updates.

True SCSI controllers (like Warp Engine) generally have fully working direct scsi (HD_SCSICMD) command which can be used to bypass all restrictions without side-effects. This makes the driver mostly dummy pipe that takes the command and passes it 1:1 to the SCSI device, no translations or conversions neeeded. IDE devices need to have working direct scsi to ATA command conversion that can have bugs and limits.

True SCSI controller + Direct SCSI filesystem: Everything just works, without size limits

btw, do you have A3000 or A4000 Warp Engine? A3000 ROM dump is still missing (or A3000 ROM have very unexpected "040/A4000" string..)

Quote:
I also want to thank you for the work that you put into PFS3! You took it from a file system that was not easy to install and that users were afraid of to the file system that most of the serious Amigans use now. It is the type of things that you do that keeps the hobby alive.
I don't think I made it any easier or simpler, I only made it usable for 1.3/68000 Amigas plus some extra compatibility features
Old 24 January 2018, 20:20   #13
dannyp1

Sorry, I have the 4040 WarpEngine. It fits easily into an A3000T.

And thank-you for clearing up a couple of things for me.
Old 10 July 2021, 22:47   #14
FranciscoJr

Hello there,

Can anyone please upload to the zone, the warp engine ROM image?
Version 40.66 grabbed from the 27c256 in PLCC.
Mine SCSI is broken...do not know if it is the ROM (damaged).

Thank you