English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 August 2014, 21:16   #1
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

If you like Gotek drives and A500s I think you'll be interested in this.

Old 29 August 2014, 05:08   #2
Vot

Mounty.. This is far too thick in my opinion. You should be aiming to have the case no thicker than the usb connector (maybe a few mm higher so you can have a gap between the connector and the amiga case so all usb thumb drives fit), maybe house the gotek pcb in the computer case and just put a flat ribbon through the slots in the case for the display and buttons etc. Also you could make a pcb for inside the computer to select between the gotek and the inbuilt floppy. IMHO this would add a lot more value to to your project.
Old 29 August 2014, 08:46   #3
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
Mounty.. This is far too thick in my opinion. You should be aiming to have the case no thicker than the usb connector (maybe a few mm higher so you can have a gap between the connector and the amiga case so all usb thumb drives fit), maybe house the gotek pcb in the computer case and just put a flat ribbon through the slots in the case for the display and buttons etc. Also you could make a pcb for inside the computer to select between the gotek and the inbuilt floppy. IMHO this would add a lot more value to to your project.
Commments noted, but I don't think anyone would use a regular floppy if they had a Gotek installed. As for making the case smaller, it will be quite cramped inside there as it is.
Old 29 August 2014, 08:48   #4
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
Commments noted, but I don't think anyone would use a regular floppy if they had a Gotek installed. As for making the case smaller, it will be quite cramped inside there as it is.
The gotek cant emulate protected discs. It only supports adf,s which have been deprotected... The hxc can however... (If your wondering why people may use real disks)
Old 29 August 2014, 09:21   #5
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
The gotek cant emulate protected discs. It only supports adf,s which have been deprotected... The hxc can however... (If your wondering why people may use real disks)
Thank you.
Old 29 August 2014, 09:55   #6
Total Eclipse

My 2p's worth - Mounty, as you say, not many people will use the internal drive if they have a Gotek installed (though I did consider the idea on an earlier posting).

What I'd be looking for, and I suspect many others, would be a replacement shell for the PCB to install it inside the Amiga and replace the internal drive completely, without having to cut the Amiga case. Any external housing could be small enough to hold the track LED and disk change buttons, but a replacement shell would mean that the USB port is accessible from the centre of the floppy drive, and everything else is blanked off. As an alternative, the disk eject button could be replaced by the two buttons on the Gotek, similar to some of the solutions suggested for the Raspberry Pi floppy emulator.
Old 29 August 2014, 10:36   #7
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Eclipse View Post
but a replacement shell would mean that the USB port is accessible from the centre of the floppy drive
Why is it so important that the USB port is at the centre of the floppy drive slot? I don't get that at all.

Are you guys starting to see how difficult the life of a hardware developer can be?

Out of two people, one wants the floppy drive slot for floppy disc use, the other wants it for USB drive use?!?!

The old statement "you can't please everyone" is one of the truest statements ever made...

Last edited by Mounty; 29 August 2014 at 11:07.
Old 29 August 2014, 13:07   #8
Total Eclipse

Quote:
Why is it so important that the USB port is at the centre of the floppy drive slot? I don't get that at all.
Simply because on the Amiga, the centre of the floppy slot is usually wider than the edge or more recessed, so that it should able to accommodate slightly thicker pen drives more easily.

Quote:
The old statement "you can't please everyone" is one of the truest statements ever made...
Very true, but then there will never be a single solution that meets everyones requirements for something like this. I'm very impressed with what you're trying to do though.
Old 29 August 2014, 13:13   #9
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
For easy pen drive access, I would attach a female USB extension lead to the gotek.
Old 29 August 2014, 13:39   #10
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I am very curious how you will create a "yellowed A500 case" colour mixture for printing plastic to fit the most remaining A500s
Old 29 August 2014, 13:48   #11
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Mounty's on fire Good job !
I have several of your products on my "to buy" list.
Old 29 August 2014, 14:50   #12
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I am very curious how you will create a "yellowed A500 case" colour mixture for printing plastic to fit the most remaining A500s
Ha ha good question!

I can see it now......

"Mounty, my Amiga has been in sun too long, make it more yellow."

and

"No, I looked after my Amiga and it's nearly white, make it less yellow."

Ad infinitum....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Eclipse View Post
Simply because on the Amiga, the centre of the floppy slot is usually wider than the edge or more recessed, so that it should able to accommodate slightly thicker pen drives more easily.
Which looks more appropriate though, a pen drive sticking out of a floppy drive slot, or a pen drive sticking out of my enclosure. Be honest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Mounty's on fire Good job !
I have several of your products on my "to buy" list.
I am indeed on fire MiLord!

As you can see I have branched out into retro enclosures. Learning AutoCAD 2014 at my age is no mean feat, but I'm more than up for it!

Last edited by TCD; 29 August 2014 at 14:53. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 29 August 2014, 15:02   #13
ADz
A mighty pirate!

I'm sorry but imo that just looks too big/bulk and tbh would annoy the hell out of me being sat on the top sticking up like that.

Much better solution would be to simply create a faceplate to go over the floppy drive that has the display/buttons incorporated into it. Alternatively for people who want to keep a real drive as DF1 and have the Emu as DF0 a slimmer case then the Gotek would be nice
Old 29 August 2014, 15:28   #14
Amiga1992

Why would I add this bulky thing outside if I can put the gotek drive inside???
Old 29 August 2014, 15:57   #15
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Why would I add this bulky thing outside if I can put the gotek drive inside???
Because, as others have found, putting the Gotek drive inside the case means not being able to see the numerical display, and having to press the buttons with a matchstick.

Oh, and having to crane your neck around the side of the machine to see what the display says.

The advantage with the ExoShell is everything is there in clear view. Buttons are easy to press, and when it has been properly made (injection moulding) and in the correct colour it will complement the Amiga casing very nicely.

Having said that, if you have set your mind on hating it, don't buy it! Simples!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADz View Post
I'm sorry but imo that just looks too big/bulk and tbh would annoy the hell out of me being sat on the top sticking up like that.

Much better solution would be to simply create a faceplate to go over the floppy drive that has the display/buttons incorporated into it. Alternatively for people who want to keep a real drive as DF1 and have the Emu as DF0 a slimmer case then the Gotek would be nice
No apology necessary! Don't buy it!

We had this argument back in the day with the old Amiga vs Atari ST arguments.

The Amiga had a big bulky unattractive power supply brick. The Atari had the psu neatly inside the case. Did that stop people buying the Amiga?

Last edited by TCD; 29 August 2014 at 16:14. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 29 August 2014, 16:16   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Select all posts you want to quote using this button and then click on quote please. Thank you.
Old 29 August 2014, 16:18   #17
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Mounty i think most peoples preference would be some kind of an internal setup similar to how i have my HXC mounted internally, see pic.

I do realize that it is probably harder to achieve with the gotek then it is with a hxc.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Internal HXC.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	41273  
Old 29 August 2014, 16:48   #18
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
Mounty i think most peoples preference would be some kind of an internal setup similar to how i have my HXC mounted internally, see pic.

I do realize that it is probably harder to achieve with the gotek then it is with a hxc.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Much more difficult with a Gotek, for reasons I explained earlier.

I had all this "initial resistance" with the Amipad32. "OH MY GOD, IT'S GOT PAINTED BUTTONS! I THINK I'D DIE IF I TOUCHED A PAINTED BUTTON!"

Since then the Amipad has been a steady seller. Why? because it's a damned good alternative to whatever else was out there. In fact I sold two today, while I've been sitting here assembling some Gotek external adapters.

It's the same with this device. Of all the people who have seen this post (probably 200 or so), only a handful of naysayers have commented. The vast majority will have had a look, and thought "mmm, I'll keep my eye on that". That's how it works.

That's why I'm not too bothered if one guy says he doesn't like this and another guy says he doesn't like that. I gave up trying to please everyone long ago. It's all about pleasing the maximum amount of customers possible, and that's what I always try to do.
Old 29 August 2014, 17:13   #19
Vot

Mounty i still dont get it why is it so thick? The gotek pcb cant be more than 8mm high.
Old 29 August 2014, 17:20   #20
Amiga1992

Quote:
Having said that, if you have set your mind on hating it, don't buy it! Simples!
You make it sound like if I have any sort of agenda against you, which is ridiculous.

You post about something you may want to build in a public forum. If you don't want to hear the opinion of those who may want to buy your product, that's great, your choice, but don't post it in a public forum then.