English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 09 June 2002, 20:09   #1
Amiga1992

What's going on?

I see lots of requests for games that can be easily found by reading the thread "Important: How to find the ADF you need ? "

Is people blind, or just lazy?
Old 09 June 2002, 21:02   #2
oldpx

Thumbs down

Some are really lazy, ungrateful and stupid. I hate my goodwill turned against me and that happens sometimes, not publicly but with unending requests with e-mails and pms . when you decide to tell the sucker that there are lots of sites who host the games 24/7 kindly (after mailing and uploading a good amount of them),
he says "haha I found some other idiot who'll mail me the game". This makes me crazy. I won't reply mails again.

Old 09 June 2002, 21:17   #3
Mangar
Got the fever back

Maybe RCK should rename this forum to Rare Games Request..

Although I dont think that will help much. Like the last message requesting captive which is pretty prevalent on the internet.
Old 09 June 2002, 21:20   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

Maybe instead of uploading all these ultra rare ADFs we could all link to the FAQ on how to find ADF's
Old 09 June 2002, 21:40   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yes, I am also guilty of posting the ûber common Blood Money and Wolf Pack just today. The Zone should be for unique stuff, not common TOSEC titles that are easy as pie to find.
Old 09 June 2002, 21:41   #6
oldpx

Quote:
we could all link to the FAQ on how to find ADF's
You do that and the guy mails you the exact request again! What can you do then? Maybe it's better not to be involved.

Old 09 June 2002, 21:42   #7
Fissuras
Old Luny

Well, these days one needs to be more condescendent (is this the right word?). Emuchina is down, Aceroms is ramdom, PE2000 is slooooooooooow...

If one asks for only one game, I try to find it in my HD and upload it. If he who asks has more than 10-20 posts then I do a better search. If it is a newbie (here) asking some rare stuff I try do do my best. If it is a newbie who asks for a commom game, I point him the sites. If he shows he has been looking, or if he shows some specific interest, I like to help too. But if he only asks for some ramdom games without saying anything at all my best bet is that he will stay without his wanted game.

I prefer serving one or other than having them all leeching the sites that are still up. But then again if they grow in number this board wouldn't as pleasent as it is.

I had an Idea. Just send them to AEN :laugh
Old 09 June 2002, 21:57   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

AEN still exists?!?! Who knew...

Yeah, I see what you're saying, dude. When I see a simple single game request, sometimes I just post the bloody game and don't think about it. Other times, it annoys me and I just ignore it and either someone else will upload it or point them to the FAQ. And I guess when the Zone is in low usage, upping common games can be harmless. It often depends on my mood or my schedule. I personally would hate to have to use any of the three major networks to get the files from.
Old 09 June 2002, 22:36   #9
Backyard_Rob

On PE2000.net, is the Amiga section under the 'Computers' subsection in the ROM section? (Woah, I used section 3 times...) Because if it is, every time I try to enter, my Internet Explorer gets the dreaded Illegal Operation...Does anyone have the address of the Amiga page?

Old 09 June 2002, 22:40   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hehehe...and I thought PE2000 required IE! Go figure - you just can't win using M$shit...
Old 09 June 2002, 22:45   #11
Backyard_Rob

Damn Bill Gates.

Old 09 June 2002, 22:56   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Try this link...

http://www.pe2000.net/romdl/Commodore%20Amiga/renamed/

Oh, and this one, too

www.opera.com
Old 09 June 2002, 23:13   #13
Drake1009

You could say that many of the games are very easy to find, but some of the tosec collection can be hard to find. As was pointed out. Aceroms is random and slow when it's up. Emuchina seems to have gone down and I haven't been able to get on PE2000 for a while. And having to go through all sites on Amigamos and all sites on Jambo can be quite a bother. Google returns even more random information. The basic person who wants to play a game he/she remembers from a long time ago wouldn't want to spend hours searching.
Old 09 June 2002, 23:38   #14
the wolf
Just Leeching

Yes, Drake, you are alright, but I remember some "stupid" request (without offend anyone who made requests) on this board.
Game like Wizball, Megalomania, Sly Spy, Blood Money, Gemini Wing, Silly Putty, Indy 500, Exile (and many others...) can be easily found on MANY sites... Ok some lazyness, but not too much!
However, I agree to change the name of this forum in "Rare Games Request".
Cheers.
Old 09 June 2002, 23:40   #15
Ian
Global Moderator

Well, I know of 3 FTPs that have the full TOSEC Amiga set, one of them is down now though

The files are out there, and it doesn't take much to find them, infact you just need to look at number 5 on amigamos
Old 09 June 2002, 23:57   #16
Backyard_Rob

Twistin'Ghost, thanks for the site. Man, they've got a lot of games...

Old 10 June 2002, 05:17   #17
Amiga1992

Well, the requests for common, normal games is what made me not visit teh requests area anymore, really. I checked it out today, and I thought about speaking it out.

The FAQ about how to get those games is right here, why can't people read it? It's marked as Important, and it's teh first message, fer Jay Miner's sake! And you'll always have the dickheads who will reply "fuk u y dot u gib me da game i ask? fuk fuk arse l33t" etc.

Lost case, methinks. And the AEN idea was funny, I just hope that post doesnt bring Jon SOmeone to the scene

The forum name was changed, let's see how this affects the situation!
Old 10 June 2002, 05:18   #18
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
Some are really lazy, ungrateful and stupid. I hate my goodwill turned against me and that happens sometimes, not publicly but with unending requests with e-mails and pms . when you decide to tell the sucker that there are lots of sites who host the games 24/7 kindly (after mailing and uploading a good amount of them),
he says "haha I found some other idiot who'll mail me the game". This makes me crazy. I won't reply mails again.
Burseg, me mate, you have to report this kind of stuff. Actions will be taken ASAP. Just because it happens through PMs doesnt mean we have to tolerate such a hostile attitude, does it?
Old 10 June 2002, 21:11   #19
Mangar
Got the fever back

Well I recall the original intent of the request forum which was just to provide hard to find software.

Whether a file is inconvenient to get somewhere else isn't really the issue. If RCK didn't care about common games being requested he would not have those rules in place.

And PM'ing people is just not acceptable. It has happened to me as well and unless its for something rare which someone knows I have then I'd prefer people would not PM me for game requests..

Last edited by Mangar; 10 June 2002 at 21:29.
Old 10 June 2002, 21:24   #20
oldpx

Quote:
Burseg, me mate, you have to report this kind of stuff. Actions will be taken ASAP. Just because it happens through PMs doesnt mean we have to tolerate such a hostile attitude, does it?
I guess you're right. Thanks