English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 15 February 2020, 03:22   #1
Welshieinnz

Generation Amiga forced to shutdown

This is ridiculous! Why would they want to do something like this when it was doing wonders for the Amiga community!

From his Facebook page:

Dear Amiga friends,

You must have noticed, GenerationAmiga.com has been attacked on several fronts. Yesterday our Twitter account has been taken down because of over 35 DMCA violations all of them courtesy of Phase 5 and Amiga Technologies UG. Today One has reported many violations and I was forced to remove them or the domain and it's content would stay offline. The reports came from several indivduals and organisations. Any given counterappael was refused, I still don't understand how all of this could happen. GenerationAmiga.com reported Amiga news since september 15th 2015, over 5 years of Amiga passion has been taken down in a single blow by ignorant people with a very unhealthy jealousy. I can imagine that these indivudals had a problem with my editorial approach and admit sometimes to populistic. But none the less, all was done with good intentions and never to harm any Amiga business model or related company. I rebooted the magazine a few weeks ago, but as you all of noticed the hysteria started all over again and today these indivduals gave the final blow. I have faced a lot of problems during these 5 years (bans,hatred,lies,etc...) but never would have guessed that all of this could result in such draconic legal actions. I have no intention in any given legal counter action, GenerationAmiga.com is a non-profit magazine and done completely voluntary by just one man. It's really time to say goodbye to many awesome visitors and fans, and for those who have done everything to damage the magazine and indivdualy; you should be ashamed there is no victory in you're irrational actions. I hope that the Facebook page and group don't face the same consequences.

I wish you all the best and as always Amiga back for the future

Kind regards,
Editor and founder
Jimmy Proost

Phase 5 and Amiga technologies can f*** o**! Absolutely disgraceful.
Old 15 February 2020, 19:27   #2
yssing

I am sorry to read this, I really enjoyed generationamiga.
What is wrong with those people?
Old 15 February 2020, 19:40   #3
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Always the same bloke sadly, he really needs a new hobby
Old 15 February 2020, 21:09   #4
ptyerman

Wish I could bump into the coffee boy in a dark alley somewhere! He may see the error of his ways then.
Old 15 February 2020, 22:43   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Who did this?
Old 15 February 2020, 23:01   #6
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Chap called Salvador, the man behind the poorly run resurgence of Phase5 (often known as Phake5). Has a fair bit of history in the community, and is frankly a bit of a bellend.
Old 15 February 2020, 23:18   #7
dreadnought

I'm a bit of a caveman, out of the loop. Can somebody explain how is it possible that a news site can be shut down for expressing opinions? Is this how things work on the internet these days?
Old 15 February 2020, 23:23   #8
Korodny
Zone Friend

I am certainly not defending Salvador Gomez, but the quoted statement is a mess. We know GenerationAmiga took a rather... creative approach to reporting news, so let's not get all worked up just yet.

1. Has GenerationAmiga.com actually been updated recently? I remember an alleged reboot a few months ago, followed by a handful of news items. Then silence again. WebArchive suggests there have been no updates since July (though the latest snapshot is two months old).

2. "draconic legal actions" is just bullshit. Gomez loves to talk big, but he has never, ever taken any legal action against anybody. (Wrongly) reporting social media content for alleged copyright violations - assuming that did indeed happen and it was indeed Gomez doing it - is trolling, not "draconic legal actions".

3. Why the hell would Gomez attack GenerationAmiga now? Is this some stupid war on Facebook/Twitter I didn't notice? I can't remember any P5 coverage on GenerationAmiga (or anywhere else, for that matter) in the last one or two years.

4. He's initially blaming Phase 5 and Amiga Technologies UG - both letterboxes founded by Gomez. But then he's talking about "several indivduals and organisations" and "ignorant people" - why the plural?

5. Can anybody decipher this sentence for me: "Today One has reported many violations and I was forced to remove them or the domain and it's content would stay offline."
Old 15 February 2020, 23:34   #9
shuttlepilot
Vampire 68080 Owner

Maybe this was the catalyst and Salvador spat his dummy out ...

Quote:
Phase 4 Communications GmbH wins legal battle against Phase 5
Generationamiga January 26, 2020 News Amiga

Phase 4 Communications GmbH started legal actions against the infamous Phase 5 company of Salvador Fernandez Gomez. The company caused a lot of anger in the Amiga community by releasing several harsh statements and offering defunct hardware. Phase 5 is now forced to pay several fees to Phase 4 Communications GmbH.
Old 15 February 2020, 23:53   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I've heard that name. Is this the clown that sent Chucky (Mr.Hertell) some processor cards but they didn't have the required ground plane in them so they were junk?
Old 15 February 2020, 23:55   #11
shuttlepilot
Vampire 68080 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I've heard that name. Is this the clown that sent Chucky (Mr.Hertell) some processor cards but they didn't have the required ground plane in them so they were junk?
I believe so ...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1203880

Last edited by shuttlepilot; 16 February 2020 at 00:16.
Old 15 February 2020, 23:56   #12
yssing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post

Yes the same idiot!
Old 16 February 2020, 00:16   #13
honx

how about doxxing this salvador bastard?
Old 16 February 2020, 00:23   #14
shuttlepilot
Vampire 68080 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
No need to stoop to his level as the word is already out that he is one hell of a shady character.
Old 16 February 2020, 01:04   #15
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Because of his irrationally aggressive attitude, Gomez has already done so much damage to his brand image that if, for some amazing miracle, he were to actually release an accelerator sales would be catastrophically poor.
Old 16 February 2020, 02:21   #16
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
Swatting him would be better.
Old 16 February 2020, 06:26   #17
Nightshft

Yes, looks like some people were not happy with phase5 quality after the "relaunch".
Old 16 February 2020, 18:10   #18
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
I'm a bit of a caveman, out of the loop. Can somebody explain how is it possible that a news site can be shut down for expressing opinions? Is this how things work on the internet these days?
Well, yes. Larger companies (e.g. Youtube, Facebook, Twitter...) don't care about small-fry customers/users, so when any complaint is received that looks even slightly serious, they take the simple option and assume the complaint is valid, and will remove content or suspend accounts without carrying out a proper investigation. It's not worth their time or effort to do any digging on it, just in case it turns into a legal problem, so small-time users like anyone from the Amiga community will lose out practically every time. Bigger news sites would be fine of course because they're valued customers, but despite the grand aspirations, Generation Amiga was still just a very small site in a small niche hobby.

I had no love for Generation Amiga, and Korodny makes some good points, but one of phake5's tactics over the years was to draft solicitors' letters based on online templates and send them to anyone they didn't like with the hope of scaring them off. They were called out on it repeatedly, but it's still possible that they could be mistaken for a genuine legal threat.

As for Salvador, he's a grade A prick who has been banned from pretty much every Amiga group and forum that there is due to his actions on this. Chucky gave him the benefit of doubt once and trusted him at his word, even when a lot of people were already calling him out, and his blog tells the rest of the story. Ever since then, whenever Chucky put up a Youtube video even mentioning phase5, Blizzard or even just Amiga, this guy would put in a copyright violation complaint and have the videos taken down. I highly doubt there's anyone else involved in the phase5 sham - even the couple of very loyal supporters he had are very quiet these days.
Old 16 February 2020, 20:54   #19
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
but one of phake5's tactics over the years was to draft solicitors' letters based on online templates and send them to anyone they didn't like with the hope of scaring them off. They were called out on it repeatedly, but it's still possible that they could be mistaken for a genuine legal threat.
Yup, I can confirm that... I can't count the amount of times Salvador has sent threatening PMs to RCK / myself / other GMods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
As for Salvador, he's a grade A prick who has been banned from pretty much every Amiga group and forum that there is due to his actions on this. Chucky gave him the benefit of doubt once and trusted him at his word, even when a lot of people were already calling him out, and his blog tells the rest of the story. Ever since then, whenever Chucky put up a Youtube video even mentioning phase5, Blizzard or even just Amiga, this guy would put in a copyright violation complaint and have the videos taken down. I highly doubt there's anyone else involved in the phase5 sham - even the couple of very loyal supporters he had are very quiet these days.
Yup, as you say Salvador is a grade A prick.
Old 16 February 2020, 22:49   #20
lesta_smsc

Very sad to learn this. I suppose there are still some people in this world who are holding on to the Amiga as a business rather than as a hobby... they will fall just like Commodore eventually.

The Dark Ages of the Amiga...