English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 August 2017, 10:31   #181
demolition
Unregistered User

Just having some UART text-interface could be useful so one could see the full file names and change the image from a PC connected with a USB-TTL adapter using a terminal program.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 August 2017, 10:53   #182
tnt23

Throw in cheap BT UART dongle and use your smartphone
Old 13 August 2017, 12:10   #183
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
If someone wrote the phone software it would probably not be too hard to connect up a bluetooth-serial adapter to the Gotek's serial pins, and have the firmware dtrt.
I'm up for writing the software. I've developed BT applications for iOS and I know the basics of BT on Android too.
Old 13 August 2017, 12:42   #184
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I'm up for writing the software. I've developed BT applications for iOS and I know the basics of BT on Android too.
Any experience with BT dongles? Should I get one of those cheap 4 pin serial adapters that do 9600 baud by default?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 13 August 2017, 13:12   #185
gizmomelb

Quote:
If someone wrote the phone software it would probably not be too hard to connect up a bluetooth-serial adapter to the Gotek's serial pins, and have the firmware dtrt.
https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html

incredibly easy to use, rapid prototyping software for android. supports all phone / tablet functions like bluetooth
Old 13 August 2017, 15:24   #186
WalterM

You can use a cheap HC-05 (master-slave) serial to bluetooth module. They are easy to program and readily available. No need for a bluetooth stack in firmware.

Take a look at : http://makezine.com/projects/connect...serial-module/ for an example. See also: Bluetooth Basics

Last edited by WalterM; 13 August 2017 at 15:34.
Old 13 August 2017, 16:43   #187
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb View Post
https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html

incredibly easy to use, rapid prototyping software for android. supports all phone / tablet functions like bluetooth
Sounds like a volunteer However idrougge got there first lol!
Old 13 August 2017, 16:43   #188
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM View Post
You can use a cheap HC-05 (master-slave) serial to bluetooth module. They are easy to program and readily available. No need for a bluetooth stack in firmware.

Take a look at : http://makezine.com/projects/connect...serial-module/ for an example. See also: Bluetooth Basics
Yeah that's what I spotted on Ebay. Simple serial dongle. Interesting. Could be easily done on firmware side I reckon.
Old 13 August 2017, 16:44   #189
kaffer

Now released v0.4.3a:

- Fixes DSKCHG. More reliable disk-insert detection. Especially in Workbench with noclick patches.
Old 13 August 2017, 19:27   #190
jcarvalho

Hi guys! Can I use this firmware to place in usb stick images of pc msdos disks and use the in a 486???
Do I need some file converter? What disk formats can I use? It is very confusing...
I dont like the idea of having a usb stick formated only for pc and use the software to place in each slot the correct image.
Thanks!
JOrge
Old 13 August 2017, 20:22   #191
idrougge

Quote:
Any experience with BT dongles? Should I get one of those cheap 4 pin serial adapters that do 9600 baud by default?
No, I don't know the first thing about embedded stuff, I've only worked with the client side.
Old 13 August 2017, 20:33   #192
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarvalho View Post
Hi guys! Can I use this firmware to place in usb stick images of pc msdos disks and use the in a 486???
Do I need some file converter? What disk formats can I use? It is very confusing...
I think you can just make .img files of the PC disks and use them that way. The image files could be created e.g. using WinImage.

Quote:
With those, when you connect to the target from a PC using BT, it creates a virtual COM port on the PC that you can open like if you had a direct RS232 connection to the device. The BT link is invisible to the program.
Old 13 August 2017, 20:36   #193
Higgy

Kaffer - so glad you can update from USB, what with all the firmware updates popping out!

I got a OLED display on order. And have my LCD display up and running, along with piezo buzzer.

Regarding entering dirs etc if you dont use Autoboot, can't we have a select/enter button wired in. The I2C lcd wiring guide I posted some pages back shows a push button, but now I realise that was for HxC. But I am sure you could support that.
Old 13 August 2017, 21:25   #194
WalterM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarvalho View Post
I dont like the idea of having a usb stick formated only for pc and use the software to place in each slot the correct image.
Thanks!
JOrge
Not yet if you are using the already compiled firmware.
In order to use the F-F firmware, to emulate PC floppy drives, it is necessary to modify the source due to differences in floppy drive pinouts. So far will only work for DD floppies due to data rate limitations, a solution is in Kaffer's "to do" list, as far as I know... My tests show good floppy reading but sporadic "sector not found" problems when writing (Tests performed on PC-AT booting DOS 5.0, from Kaffer's modified F-F, emulating 720K floppy drive and media)

Last edited by WalterM; 13 August 2017 at 21:32.
Old 13 August 2017, 21:34   #195
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I think you can just make .img files of the PC disks and use them that way. The image files could be created e.g. using WinImage.
No support for IMG files yet, and the floppy pinout isn't yet configurable (PC pinout is different on pins 2 & 34 compared with Amiga/Shugart).

Both these will be fixed in the coming weeks.
Old 13 August 2017, 21:35   #196
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Regarding entering dirs etc if you dont use Autoboot, can't we have a select/enter button wired in. The I2C lcd wiring guide I posted some pages back shows a push button, but now I realise that was for HxC. But I am sure you could support that.
Yes at the moment a no-config image gets selected after 2 seconds anyway. But I can add support for the third button very easily if that's desired, making selection instantaneous.
Old 14 August 2017, 00:16   #197
kolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM View Post
Yeah, I use these to set up wireless null-modem connections, easy-peasy
Old 14 August 2017, 00:57   #198
jcarvalho

Thank you for the quick answers!!!! The developer is a genius!!! You should add a paypal donation button!! It totally worth it! I will wait to have a complete solution pc, amiga etc etc, it is a must have, will solder pins in order to flash the drive soon... What a great FW!!!
Old 14 August 2017, 01:55   #199
idrougge

How about CPC compatibility?
Old 14 August 2017, 03:54   #200
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
How about CPC compatibility?
Should just work, though of course you need to connect to the CPC's 26-pin ribbon (internal floppy interface). But then config-less mode with HFEs should just work, and hopefully CPC's AUTOBOOT.HFE works too (untested).
AdSense AdSense