English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 18 December 2010, 04:54   #1
switchblade

Shadow of the Beast games in NTSC format

Don't know if this is the right place to ask...

I did some digging on the Beast games, and I've learned that there was an NTSC version of the 2nd and 3rd games. Apparently, some games published by Psygnosis were released in NTSC format for American Amigas.

I've got Beast III in NTSC format, but I wanna know if somebody has the NTSC version of the first two games. I don't know if somebody was able to get a rip of the second game, but it does exist. I don't know if the first game had an NTSC release.

Anyone kind enough to point me in the right direction?
Old 18 December 2010, 08:22   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Some cracktros have PAL/NTSC switch.
Old 20 December 2010, 10:01   #3
Vollldo

I have a disk to switch into PAL/NTSC mode, don't remember the name, it is a tool on a cover disk on a magazine. I already asked switching into PAL/NTSC mode and someone answered me in one of my thread.

Old 20 December 2010, 16:53   #4
Khyron

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade View Post
Don't know if this is the right place to ask...

I did some digging on the Beast games, and I've learned that there was an NTSC version of the 2nd and 3rd games. Apparently, some games published by Psygnosis were released in NTSC format for American Amigas.
That should actually be "Almost all Psygnosis games were released in NTSC format" with the exception of a couple. I bought quite a few of the originals back in the day..

Most of the Psygnosis games were coded to work on both NTSC/PAL, there are a few exceptions, early lemmings releases were either PAL or NTSC, but pressing TAB would change the format. Agony and SOTB2 had region specific releases. Some later games would add static graphics to the bottom the screen when in PAL, and Lemmings 3 was a PAL only release, with the excecption of some graphics cut on the bottom, the game works fine in NTSC (timers ok, music speed ok etc..).. etc.. etc..

Quote:
I've got Beast III in NTSC format, but I wanna know if somebody has the NTSC version of the first two games. I don't know if somebody was able to get a rip of the second game, but it does exist. I don't know if the first game had an NTSC release.

Anyone kind enough to point me in the right direction?
For SOTB1, The game was both PAL/NTSC

These both work fine..
Shadow of the Beast (1989)(Psygnosis)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr PNA]
This one has less disk swapping
Shadow of the Beast (1989)(Psygnosis)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr VF][f AGA NOMAD][t +1 VF]

For SOTB2
I don't remember there being an cracked NTSC version released. The NTSC version has a problem in PAL mode (start menu won't load), but the PAL version works fine on NTSC machines, with the music playing a bit fast..

These should also work fine (with faster music)..
Shadow of the Beast II (1990)(Psygnosis)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr Angels]
Shadow of the Beast II (1990)(Psygnosis)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr Angels][f AGA NOMAD]
Old 08 January 2011, 14:10   #5
clenched

I've just turned a set of extADFs of SOTB2 NTSC made in '09 using Toni's rawread program. If anyone is interested in cracking this for switchblade or playing as-is on WinUAE then give the word and I will upload.
Old 08 January 2011, 14:29   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Upload your extended ADF's please and I'll have a look.
Old 08 January 2011, 15:31   #7
clenched

I'm having trouble getting this uploaded, browser just hangs then tells me I'm not logged in but never fear, I'll keep at it.
Old 08 January 2011, 15:37   #8
Parsec

I think I heard that NTSC SOTB wasn't speed adjusted and was even more difficult due to running quicker than intended.
Old 08 January 2011, 15:52   #9
clenched

StingRay - In the Zone now after 3 tries I hope, thank you.
HOL team - I noticed a ton of disk scans, so I threw in one more if you can use it.
Old 08 January 2011, 15:55   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by clenched View Post
HOL team - I noticed a ton of disk scans, so I threw in one more if you can use it.
If it's different to the ones on HOL then please do
Old 10 January 2011, 15:22   #11
clenched

TCD - The scan is inside the zoned SOTB archive although the description doesn't say so. I wasn't sure if you expected it to be elsewhere or decided not to use it since I don't see it in the HOL.
Old 20 January 2011, 19:55   #12
switchblade

Quote:
TCD - The scan is inside the zoned SOTB archive although the description doesn't say so. I wasn't sure if you expected it to be elsewhere or decided not to use it since I don't see it in the HOL.
Holy crap! Brilliant find, clenched! Couldn't reply back cause of personal issues.

Tested with WinUAE, and works perfectly in NTSC mode. Oddly enough, it booted in PAL mode, but got stuck at the title screen. No copy-protection I've come across, so to speak.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec
I think I heard that NTSC SOTB wasn't speed adjusted and was even more difficult due to running quicker than intended.
That problem only existed on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis port for the U.S. market. There is a Japanese port of the game for the Genesis, and it fixes the speed issue, updated some of the graphics and had a difficulty slider; to make the game easier to play.

That was only for the first game. Even with all that, the graphics and sound still can't compare to the Amiga original.
Old 20 January 2011, 20:18   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Sorry, completely forgot to add it Cheers switchblade for bumping the thread
Finally added
Old 20 January 2011, 21:40   #14
clenched

Switchblade - I wasn't sure if this was to be played on Amiga or WinUAE. I went ahead and asked for crack since I couldn't see any reason for preferring NTSC version except a real machine.

TCD - I was feeling neglected
The "thumbnail" images don't always match the enlarged image for whatever reason.

There may be something to be said for the speed difference. I did some crude drug store stop watch timings and the time from the first appearance of the vine-cutting gargoyle until the spiked block pusher stopped was ~5 seconds quicker with my disks vs. IPF. I presume Hero is also sped up so that should make it fair.
Old 20 January 2011, 21:55   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
TCD - I was feeling neglected
Sorry again. I was at work when you posted and by the time I got home I had forgotten about it Will send myself a reminder email next time

Quote:
The "thumbnail" images don't always match the enlarged image for whatever reason.
Have you pressed F5 to refresh the page?
Old 20 January 2011, 22:42   #16
clenched

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Have you pressed F5 to refresh the page?
First thing I tried, however delete Temporary Internet Files and offline content then reloading page fixed it so all is well.
Old 20 January 2011, 22:42   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Goody
Old 21 January 2011, 04:19   #18
switchblade

Quote:
Switchblade - I wasn't sure if this was to be played on Amiga or WinUAE. I went ahead and asked for crack since I couldn't see any reason for preferring NTSC version except a real machine.
The only reason I made this request was out of random curiosity. I was looking up on the Beast games at the MobyGames website for no reason. When I was looking up SOTB 2, I came across some box-art and disk image scans that had an NTSC marking on it, giving me the assumption that such a version did exist, and that someone had to have had it.

TBH, I don't think there was any real reason to ask for an NTSC version, but one can argue that we should at least preserve such findings, no matter how pointless and irrelevant these discoveries may seem.
Old 21 January 2011, 20:15   #19
demoniac

Quote:
Tested with WinUAE, and works perfectly in NTSC mode. Oddly enough, it booted in PAL mode, but got stuck at the title screen. No copy-protection I've come across, so to speak.
The "getting stuck at title screen" is a copy protection.
Old 27 March 2019, 12:16   #20
ZipRun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron View Post
That should actually be "Almost all Psygnosis games were released in NTSC format" with the exception of a couple. I bought quite a few of the originals back in the day..

Most of the Psygnosis games were coded to work on both NTSC/PAL, there are a few exceptions, early lemmings releases were either PAL or NTSC, but pressing TAB would change the format. Agony and SOTB2 had region specific releases. Some later games would add static graphics to the bottom the screen when in PAL, and Lemmings 3 was a PAL only release, with the excecption of some graphics cut on the bottom, the game works fine in NTSC (timers ok, music speed ok etc..).. etc.. etc..

For SOTB1, The game was both PAL/NTSC

These both work fine..
Shadow of the Beast (1989)(Psygnosis)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr PNA]
This one has less disk swapping
Shadow of the Beast (1989)(Psygnosis)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr VF][f AGA NOMAD][t +1 VF]

For SOTB2
I don't remember there being an cracked NTSC version released. The NTSC version has a problem in PAL mode (start menu won't load), but the PAL version works fine on NTSC machines, with the music playing a bit fast..

These should also work fine (with faster music)..
Shadow of the Beast II (1990)(Psygnosis)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr Angels]
Shadow of the Beast II (1990)(Psygnosis)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr Angels][f AGA NOMAD]

I find it odd that the shadow of the beast NTSC packaging wasn't even changed to the point that they say made in the UK in the box on the first 2 at least. Well at least from a good amount of ebay auctions in north america. The disks say north american release on them at least on 2 and 3.

Can you confirm how the shadow of the beast 1 NTSC box and disks looks like ? Maybe I'm wrong.