English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 October 2010, 21:00   #1
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Matt Chat 78: Arnold Hendrick Interview

This episode comes in three parts. Matt Chat slowly evolves into a full evening show.

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

(Damn, must wait until I can watch it. )
Old 20 October 2010, 19:05   #2
mattbarton.exe

Thanks as always, Gilgamesh. I'm actually worried that offering such a huge show was a mistake. The views and comments have been slow coming in, and I suspect it's because people such as yourself don't have time for a full 45 minutes. That's a lot of time to dedicate to youtube!

I will likely stick to the 15-minute format from now on, though I do have a great Scott Adams interview coming up that begs for the extended treatment.
Old 20 October 2010, 20:15   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
though I do have a great Scott Adams interview coming up that begs for the extended treatment.
Please explain to a young punk like me who that is. All I can come up with is references to Dilbert.
Old 20 October 2010, 20:37   #4
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Don't make rash assumptions. 45min every now and then is ok. I'm just stuck with a modem for some days. The viewer statistics seem fine (even exceptional), too.

Three is a charm, but half an hour sounds nice, too.
Old 20 October 2010, 20:48   #5
Greyfox
Pixel Blender!

Send a message via MSN to Greyfox
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Please explain to a young punk like me who that is. All I can come up with is references to Dilbert.
Scott Adams is one of the enduring pioneers of adventure game creation, and was one of the first programmers in the world to bring adventure games to a home computer, so big in fact that there was a series of adventures on spider-man, Dracula and many other under Scott Adam "Adventure International" company back in the early 80's..so I hope you are little bit more enlightened now

also he was one of the first to bring Graphic as part of the story telling before allot of other adventure games did, so great adventure games created by Scott Adams are a must to play through even today..I think a fair few of them where on the Apple II , Atari 8-Bit and the c64..

for more information : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_A...me_designer%29

Last edited by Greyfox; 20 October 2010 at 21:00.
Old 20 October 2010, 20:49   #6
desiv

I loved all of em..

I do admit, as for comments, on a multipart episode I generally leave my comments on just the first episode.

So instead of 3 different comments for three episodes, I'll have just one comment for the collection...
Which is a bit wrong now that I think of it.. ;-(

Not sure why the views is lower tho..
That was a GREAT set of episides!!!

Everyone should watch all 3!!! He has the most interesting things to say!!!!

I loved it!

desiv
p.s Scott Adams!!! YEAY!!! The pioneer!!!!
Old 20 October 2010, 23:52   #7
rockersuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Greyfox has already told you about him. This is just a recent pic from his interview in the Get Lamp documentary:

He's not wearing his 80's wig there, though.

If you have a Kickstart 2.x+ Amiga you can play his text adventures in it with this interpreter you can get at:

http://aminet.net/package/game/role/Scott

...which looks just like this:

Geting graphics to work was tricky, as it took me a while to find the needed GFX file (details explained in the interpreter guide file).

--

Last edited by rockersuke; 21 October 2010 at 10:21.
Old 22 October 2010, 19:10   #8
laffer
Zone Friend

Quote:
Thanks as always, Gilgamesh. I'm actually worried that offering such a huge show was a mistake. The views and comments have been slow coming in, and I suspect it's because people such as yourself don't have time for a full 45 minutes. That's a lot of time to dedicate to youtube!
That's a shame. I don't think 45 minutes is too long at all.

In any case, very interesting and entertaining interview.
Old 25 October 2010, 23:10   #9
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Whoa, what a great episode! Easily one of Matt's best. Thought I would download it one by one ( slooooowly), but ended up watching them all in a row. Mr. Hendrick surely has lots of interesting thoughts on a lot of very different fields (speaking of interesting persons in the games industry).

Appreciated your questions about Amiga and The Dark Eye. What made you think of the latter? It's a high fantasy setting with elfs and orcs, after all.

I wouldn't agree on that old games were overly difficult to play. Modern games are rather streamlined beyond any reason.
Old 26 October 2010, 12:08   #10
Lorfarius

Quote:

I will likely stick to the 15-minute format from now on, though I do have a great Scott Adams interview coming up that begs for the extended treatment.
I say do them from time to time especially with some of the more famous guests. I actually found I didn't want to comment on the first 2 parts leaving it until I'd seen part 3 so maybe that's an issue for a some?