English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 October 2008, 15:05   #41
Marcuz

i know and i abused of that mate
but that was ages ago, before the periodical "put down that content from the zone or i pull all my hair and keep my breath until i explode" stuff...
Old 08 October 2008, 15:27   #42
BippyM
Global Moderator

Chill out you bunch of pussies!

It'll be private, I will log and compare IP's to those used on eab and err.. I'll have stuff Magix won't have (60gb of warez ISO's cough).

Only downside is my shitty speed with Virgin media
Old 08 October 2008, 15:33   #43
Dizzy
Pirate

I think we talked about it before, but let have a privat torrent tracker, for eab members only.
This way we can share all the good amiga stuff (not stuff still sold )

Old 08 October 2008, 15:48   #44
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I think we talked about it before, but let have a privat torrent tracker, for eab members only.
This way we can share all the good amiga stuff (not stuff still sold )

Maybe that's a better idea, since it would have a much better speed that way Does anyone know to set up such a thingie? Dizzy?
Old 08 October 2008, 15:50   #45
BippyM
Global Moderator

A tracker will need a decent server!

There would have to be rules and it'd need hosting somewhere etc..
Old 08 October 2008, 16:02   #46
Dizzy
Pirate

I found this guide:

Quote:
Make A Torrent Tracker!

You’ve been using torrents to download large files like Linux distribution images and movies from the Internet, and already know that BitTorrent is the fastest and best way to share files among large numbers of users. But have you considered sharing home videos, office clips, etc. with your friends and relatives using torrents?

Most of us know that .torrent files require a tracker to keep track of who (peer clients) has which piece of a particular torrent file. Azureus is a popular Java-based BitTorrent client with an inbuilt tracker.

Getting The Basics Sorted Out
You will require the Azureus Vuze client,Download it from the following link:
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/download.php
Azureus prevents basic users from creating a torrent tracker, so you’ll need to switch to the advanced user mode. Under View, select Advanced, and then in Mode, select Advance User proficiency.

Coming Down To It
For your torrent to work, you have to create a server (tracker). To do so, navigate to Tools > Options > Tracker > Server. If you have a static IP, key it in. If you’re on a dynamic IP, things are a little more complicated—you will have to use Azureus along with dynamic DNS services such as DynDNS, Discoveryvip and No-IP; register with them free of cost to use them. Once that is done, key in the dynamic host name given to you during registration. You will also have to keep the dynamic DNS client running in the background while your tracker is up.

Azureus then automatically checks if the dynamic IP is being resolved or not. Enable the tracker using the checkbox, and let it use the default 6969 HTTP port. To let others host their own torrents using your tracker, turn on Enable External Torrents. You can even force these external torrents to use the default port by selecting the appropriate option. The tracker also lets you enable the UDP protocol, which will trouble your server less than HTTP, but you won’t be able to control clients’ download ratios—beware of leechers!

The Windows XP SP2 Firewall will require you to forward the ports used by Azureus. The simplest way to do it is by adding an exception for Azureus in the firewall. Switch your Control Panel to Classic View and open Windows Firewall. Under the Exception tab, select Add Program. Browse to the directory where Azureus is installed, select Azureus.exe, and apply the changes.

Creating The Torrent
To create a torrent, use [Ctrl] + [N] or go to File > New Torrent. Make sure that “Azureus Embedded Tracker” is selected; you can also share a directory in accordance with your requirements. On the third page of the “Make a torrent” interface, don’t forget to check the option to open the torrent for seeding when done. Azureus will then create the .torrent file in the directory selected.

Distributing The Torrent
Completing all the above steps properly will make Azureus seed the file. Seed your file for a long time to prevent peers from being left with incomplete files. Finally, you can distribute the torrent to your friends using e-mail or IM.

If you’re releasing your personal videos or an amateur film using torrents, don’t use your PC as a tracker—it won’t be able to handle the traffic. Instead, opt for an external tracker service.
So we need a good server as bippy say. But then it should be easy, and this will not be a heavy traffic tracker, if we keep this on a private basis
Old 08 October 2008, 16:16   #47
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I wonder if Magix or Zetr0 could help us with the tracker Then we someone who takes care of it (ratio and all the stuff)... *heads out of here, because it smells like work*
Old 08 October 2008, 16:53   #48
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

There already was one but it died a death...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32098
Old 08 October 2008, 17:14   #49
Bloodwych

Great news, but I agree with the above. We need a trusted user area or torrent or whatever. Yes it's a bit elitist, but it's annoying when people start threatening sources or pissing off the host so much that the resources get taken down.

I've never abused Bippy's generous file offerings, as years ago I had a crappy dialup connection and couldn't be bothered!

Now however, I have a fast connection.......
Old 08 October 2008, 17:23   #50
wilshy

Bring back Digital Candy BBS for this
Old 08 October 2008, 20:56   #51
Anubis
Retro Gamer

At least they have book for us...

Old 09 October 2008, 08:54   #52
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Special rules for Australians who cant seed though. We get screwed with pox internet connections.
Old 09 October 2008, 09:49   #53
Magix
calm down do how.

Send a message via ICQ to Magix
Very good news Bippy!

I have no experience torrent tracker site but I can give support for to host. If it is okay we can try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
I have received 30gb of rare ISO's.. along with the other 30-40gb of rare ISO's I already had... well share time

Now how to do it???

P2P or shall I ressurect BippyFTP along with tosec, CD32 ISO's, CDTV, other rare shit... you name it
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I wonder if Magix or Zetr0 could help us with the tracker Then we someone who takes care of it (ratio and all the stuff)... *heads out of here, because it smells like work*
Old 09 October 2008, 10:50   #54
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

I have static IP and a machine on 24/7 - however my upload speed is only 512kbps... would this be suitable for a tracker?
Old 09 October 2008, 11:05   #55
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magix View Post
Very good news Bippy!

I have no experience torrent tracker site but I can give support for to host. If it is okay we can try.
Great to hear that mate Now we only need someone who has set up a tracker before. I haven't done that yet and are a bit short on time for such a project in the next weeks (or months).
Old 12 October 2008, 10:39   #56
BippyM
Global Moderator

Well I might purchase a 1tb drive for the FTP!

I want to be able to host everything I have on disc, and also start getting all the cd iso's (Cd32/CDTV etc)

Will give it some thought
Old 12 October 2008, 12:03   #57
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hi bippym,
No doubt you've given this a great deal of thought so apologies if you've already come up with the following solution:
-Old, otherwise useless, PC.
-Your BlG hard drive.
-DynDNS account (free) if you don't have a static IP.
-Install a suitable OS to run your server(s)...
...If you wanted I can send you an ISO of NuOnce CentOS+BlueQuartz which is auto-installing, includes a nice web-based front end for administration, and is a pretty well bullet-proof enterprise-grade server set up. You could (if bothered) host anything with this:
ftp, web, e-mail...

BTW: kind of exited - I hope I may be included.

VMWareESX Server too, if you were considering going overboard.

Last edited by Charlie; 12 October 2008 at 12:50.
Old 12 October 2008, 15:00   #58
BippyM
Global Moderator

Well I was goingto run just a standard FTP off my main PC.. I am not shelling out for a dedicated machine..
Old 13 October 2008, 09:22   #59
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post
I have static IP and a machine on 24/7 - however my upload speed is only 512kbps... would this be suitable for a tracker?
Tentatively yes, the overhead of running just a tracker is quite low ~10-20kbps per 1000 users, but, you have to factor in the bandwidth requirements of a webserver to run a truly private torrent site.

There are, broadly speaking, two classes of tracker/server with quite different concepts of privacy.

The first is what the big public sites like run, anybody can use the tracker, anybody can download torrents and join the swarm but you must have a valid login to upload torrent files to the webserver. To the novice admin (who didn't read the documentation properly) it appears as if you can run a private site with this tracker type as it's possible to disallow torrent downloading by guest users, the problem is that if a guest can obtain the torrent file from elsewhere then they can join the swarm. BNBT and it's descendants are examples of this type of tracker, all of them are easy to setup and easy to use but not private.

The second class are the TBSource derivatives that pretty much all of the private sites like BitMe, Scenetorrents, Waffles and Torrentleech use. All activities on the site and tracker require you to be logged in and because all the torrents are unique to the user that downloads them an outsider cannot join the swarm without getting their IP banned. The downside for an admin is complexity as you need to be familiar with Apache, MySQL and PHP to even get the site running, without experienced help such a site is almost never successful.
Old 28 October 2008, 22:13   #60
exoticaga

Torrents are better and faster on a private tracker.

What to do for the aussies they will be leeching, BAN THEM

Can aussies only download data, and not able upload data back ?

A tracker set up so allows only the ips that have been granted acces to be there. Verified from the ips used here as the same, you can tell if an ip is proxied or not.

Once a swarm gets going downloads will many times faster than ftp, for evryone on it.