English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 May 2007, 19:05   #41
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
Ok, the pic was cool, but your comment not.
What??... a comment with the supreme and awesomenessly words "a500" and "a1200" in it doesn't make a comment cool?.... well, they are not words I guess.. hmm..

damn... ok....
Old 11 May 2007, 19:07   #42
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I use WHDLoad a lot, but I don't enjoy playing games on a PC.

I'd much rather sit in front of my Amiga & TV.

My A1200 is kitted out with WHDLoad because I detest floppy disks, and I am also not a great fan of adf files because I find them awkward and limited.

I've played a hell of a lot of WHDLoad games on WinUAE and my Amiga and I can honestly say my experiences have led me to think that WinUAE still has a way to go to create an accurate emulation of my A1200. There are some games that need slightly different configs, and even then some run at slightly different speeds.

I do still use WinUAEX quite a bit because it's suited better to my tastes than WinUAE on it's own.

Emulation is great, without it I wouldn't still be playing Amiga games (or at least not as much), but it's more of an aid to me playing my real A1200 rather than a way of playing the games if you know what I mean
Old 11 May 2007, 19:08   #43
Dizzy
Pirate

hey guys remember IC dont drink, smoke or have sex with women....
Old 11 May 2007, 19:08   #44
Ironclaw
Banned

Some people believe in God, others don't... and those who believes in God sometimes try to force their belief into others... like those ... sects....

ehmm... Maybe I'm like that.. ehmm.. well, I just know how great Winuae is... and how superior it is.... and just try to make people see what I see... but it's hopeless.

My visions are too advanced for others to partake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
hey guys remember IC dont drink, smoke or have sex with women....
That must be why I see things so clearly :P.

This was the final post from Ironclaw in this thread..... or till he decides to post another, then THAT one will be the final one... till he decides to post yet another one and THAT one will be the final one...till he.......
Old 11 May 2007, 19:19   #45
mrbob2

Emu Vs real amiga mmmmmmmmmmmm tricky, tell you what, il go up in the loft and get my a500+ down. Il plug in the tv dongle at the back and fanny about getting it to work in colour on my tv as i have to support it with some paper as the connectors dont work very well. Il plug in my ticking PSU and hunt for my disks. Assuming none have warped over time (many are 20 years old!) il bung them in the drive and listen to hard clunking for 3 minutes while the game loads up. sure, its great using a REAL amiga but the reality is just crap!, dont get me wrong, i love my amiga and everything about it but it simply cant compare to winuae. I load up the emu and have 4000 games at my command. Floppy speed is set to turbo so it loads in secconds. emulatin my A1200 with an 040 processor and 8mb jit is faster than my REAL A1200 with a cyberstorm 060 processor and the 32mb of ram it had. Workbench on the emu loads up literally in seconds. with emu i can have ANY amiga and any combination of ram, kickstarts, hd size for ultimate compatibility with games. I dont have a beard so i dont do any of the techie stuff, i just play games and dpaint etc and so far, since 2001 ive had no probs with the emu and at the mo with 1.4.2 theres nothing it cant do. WINUAE is the best program ever written, if it cost £200 i would pay. as its free i am sooo grateful to the people who make it possible. Best emu of the best comp with the best games and the best following. ever
Old 11 May 2007, 19:24   #46
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob2
Emu Vs real amiga mmmmmmmmmmmm tricky, tell you what, il go up in the loft and get my a500+ down. Il plug in the tv dongle at the back and fanny about getting it to work in colour on my tv as i have to support it with some paper as the connectors dont work very well. Il plug in my ticking PSU and hunt for my disks. Assuming none have warped over time (many are 20 years old!) il bung them in the drive and listen to hard clunking for 3 minutes while the game loads up. sure, its great using a REAL amiga but the reality is just crap!, dont get me wrong, i love my amiga and everything about it but it simply cant compare to winuae. I load up the emu and have 4000 games at my command. Floppy speed is set to turbo so it loads in secconds. emulatin my A1200 with an 040 processor and 8mb jit is faster than my REAL A1200 with a cyberstorm 060 processor and the 32mb of ram it had. Workbench on the emu loads up literally in seconds. with emu i can have ANY amiga and any combination of ram, kickstarts, hd size for ultimate compatibility with games. I dont have a beard so i dont do any of the techie stuff, i just play games and dpaint etc and so far, since 2001 ive had no probs with the emu and at the mo with 1.4.2 theres nothing it cant do. WINUAE is the best program ever written, if it cost £200 i would pay. as its free i am sooo grateful to the people who make it possible. Best emu of the best comp with the best games and the best following. ever
Yay!....

and if they want that TV playing feeling..NP, hook the PC up to a TV and it's all there..... there is a variety of gamepads and joysticks to choose from aswell for the PC.. or just use an adapter, like I do.. I use a psx gamepad through an psx-usb adapter... sweet... but mostly play on my keyboard anyway.... also, if they happen to have those neat plasma TVs and therefore get super crips, pefect quality picture... then they can use the filters in Winuae to add scanlines and stuff (in general ruin the picture, but some people like that, not me though ).... Winuae has it all....

just my x.x cents.... don't kill me... I'm just saying
Old 11 May 2007, 19:31   #47
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
<blah, blah, blah>
Your silence lasted a long time
Old 11 May 2007, 19:41   #48
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
My A1200 is kitted out with WHDLoad because I detest floppy disks, and I am also not a great fan of adf files because I find them awkward and limited.
I agree, I hardly ever use floppy disks any more if I can help it. They're far too slow and fragile.

Also, on a different note.... the thing is, with the whole Emulation vs The Real Thing debate, is that it's 100% personal, as all the replies here demonstrate. I have an Amiga set up, and I've spent good money on it in the past, so I do tend to use it a lot, as do a lot of people. You've also got people who can't afford/have the space to use real hardware so have to stick with emulation, also there are people who prefer emulation regardless, and so on. There is no definitive answer (regardless of what Ironclaw may think ).
Old 11 May 2007, 23:57   #49
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace
...and often require a specific winuae setup to run.
I don't agree with the specific winuae setup to run. I have one default setting that works with 98% of the stuff I want. I use different ones for different hardware add-on like different Action Replay versions, but don't need them to run most programs.

Last edited by demoniac; 12 May 2007 at 02:33.
Old 12 May 2007, 00:48   #50
Ironclaw
Banned

That's another bad thing using a real amiga... if you use a 500, you can't play aga games.. if you use a 1200 many games doesn't work and you will have to change stuff in the boot menu.... well, it's the same with winuae, but it's just better because it's faster to config... and on top of that, you get all the memory and speed you could ever need .
Old 12 May 2007, 00:54   #51
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
That's another bad thing using a real amiga... if you use a 500, you can't play aga games.. if you use a 1200 many games doesn't work and you will have to change stuff in the boot menu....
A1200 with WHDLoad, IC.
Old 12 May 2007, 06:20   #52
shillard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002
Ok ok i leave the "rant" out of the quote and just asking your A4000-specs. Go ahead, list all the gear your A4000 has eaten . Don't forget to hype the "highlights" too .
Sitting on the desk currently....

A4000/040 desktop with....
- Cyberstorm MkIII 060/50 PPC/200
- 128Mb RAM
- 80Gb SCSI HDD
- Picasso IV Card
- Paloma TV Tuner
- Adrienne Sound Card
- X-Surf III Ethernet Card
- 2 USB clockport expansions
- CD/DVD Drive
- Original HD Df:0
- External 3.5" FDD
- External 5.25" FDD
- 2Gb IDE HDD
- 15" TFT Television/ Monitor
- 2Mb Chip/ 16Mb Fast on Motherboard
- Espon colour inkjet printer
- Mouse, Quickshot II+ joystick, etc.

Other gear/ spares laying about...
- Another Cyberstorm with 64Mb
- Another Picasso IV
- ZIII Fastlane SCSI card with a 1Gb SCSI HDD
- External flickerfixer/ scandoubler
- Spare joysticks, mice, oodles of software
- Spare A4000/030 complete but with a leaky battery & no RTC
- 4 A4000 Keyboards
- A dud 1942 - colours are all wrong
- More software than you can poke Bill McEwan's nose at.

So I have a little bit of gear....

Also 2 A500s, an A1200, an A1000 for the collection.

Should I start on my C-64 gear (althout www.c64.com has me thinking about the emulation path for this too).....?
Old 12 May 2007, 11:58   #53
shillard

UAE installed and running sweetly on my wife's Windoze box - Jesus, that was a piece of piss!

Once testing is complete, I may just get a laptop and devote it to emulation - anyone after quality gear, watch this space....
Old 13 May 2007, 01:18   #54
shillard

I'm sold.
Old 13 May 2007, 01:21   #55
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillard
I'm sold.
Yup, WinUAE rocks
Old 13 May 2007, 07:05   #56
Lagoth

In theory a decent emulator would be better.

But unfortunately WinUAE is rubbish, it crashes the host after 2-3 minutes on average. And the sound emulation is broken.

Better to use an older version, but then the compatibility is poor.

So definitely stick with the real thing for now until Toni fixes the serious show-stopper bugs which he persistently refuses to fix.

Old 13 May 2007, 07:47   #57
shillard

Still haven't managed to get it to crash on an XP PIV, after around 10 hours solid in the past two days.
Old 13 May 2007, 15:54   #58
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoth

But unfortunately WinUAE is rubbish, it crashes the host after 2-3 minutes on average. And the sound emulation is broken.

So definitely stick with the real thing for now until Toni fixes the serious show-stopper bugs which he persistently refuses to fix.
I prefer a real A1200 for gaming, as i said before. But THIS is the most ridiculous post in this thread so far. Even when Toni said the code looks like a mess at the moment.

Sounds like your PC/WinUAE configs are rubbish.
Old 13 May 2007, 16:32   #59
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoth

Congratulations!

You just won the highly coveted stupidest post ever award™!
Old 13 May 2007, 17:26   #60
Lagoth

Quote:
Sounds like your PC/WinUAE configs are rubbish.
No, the configs are pretty standard, I also tried some other configs from various sites that are supposed to work OK, same problem.

Even if the configs were wrong, this shouldn't cause the emulator to crash/hang the host machine, at worst only the guest machine should crash/hang.

Quote:
You just won the highly coveted stupid post ever award
Why, for mentioning that it has these bugs? Wouldn't it be more stupid for me to recommend something that is not working properly? Searching through previous threads I see that the problem has been experienced by other people also. Why is there a reluctance by Toni and apparently others to acknowledge that there may be bugs and to investigate and fix them? Most coders are willing to acknowledge that there may be bugs in their software, and investigate and fix reported bugs, this is normal practice. If he can't fix it, fair enough, but at least he should document the fact that the bug exists, instead of everyone pretending there's no problem.