English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 19 May 2015, 12:24   #1
TenLeftFingers

What apps for an A1200 with no expansions?

It might be a while before I can expand my Amiga 1200 and I'm noticing the applications I planned to use, eg. Wordworth, don't have enough memory.

However Deluxe Paint III does run from the hard-disk nicely.

Can anyone recommend other apps I can install and use that don't require more memory?
Old 19 May 2015, 16:47   #2
Daedalus

Wordworth can be made to run on an unexpanded A1200, but only just. It will run out of memory putting any images in the document, loading too many fonts etc. But it does work - I wrote my Leaving Cert. engineering report on an unexpanded A1200 with just a hard drive and Ww7. Also, things like ProTracker should run fine, as will older versions of 3D renderers like Real3D. And Blitz Basic 2.1 ran fine in the 2MB as well, along with various older C compilers so long as the project wasn't too complicated. It'll be painfully slow to do anything serious with an unexpanded A1200 but it's possible. If you do have a hard drive, pay attention to how many buffers are assigned to each partition, to get Wordworth working I'm pretty sure I had to disable my Games: partition to free up some memory...

Last edited by Daedalus; 19 May 2015 at 17:12.
Old 19 May 2015, 18:13   #3
TenLeftFingers

Well, that is good news Daedalus. Thank you very much. We call that pre-college/university exam the Leaving Cert also here. Were you in Ireland at the time or does it just have the same name in Scotland?

That's a nice list of stuff. Blitz Basic also interested me since I played the Zombie Apocalypse game back in the day.

Good point about looking into older versions of software too, I'll keep that in mind - possibly with the exception of Wordworth which I'm hoping to get some current compatibility out of.

I also have a hard drive so I'll look into those 'buffers' assigned to each partition as well as 'disabling' partitions. Off to Google I go. Thanks again!
Old 19 May 2015, 18:29   #4
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
It might be a while before I can expand my Amiga 1200 and I'm noticing the applications I planned to use, eg. Wordworth, don't have enough memory.

Can anyone recommend other apps I can install and use that don't require more memory?
all the applications that comes with the A1200 magic pack work with only 2mb chip

Wordworth V 4 SE
Organiser V 1.1
Datastore V 1.1
TurboCalc V 3.5
Photogenics V 1.2 SE
Personal Paint V 6.4

scala mm300 and deluxe paint 4 aga also it works
Old 19 May 2015, 18:51   #5
TheBilgeRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post

back in my first trip through college I ran Final Copy II on an unexpanded A1200. And DPIV AGA. Its hard to remember, though, when I got my 030 board and never worried about memory again
Old 19 May 2015, 19:16   #6
daxb

Start without Startup-Sequence save some memory. If a programm nearly need 2MB that could help.
Old 19 May 2015, 19:53   #7
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Apps on an A1200 with no expansions.
You Sir, are brave and bold.
For low-res painting stuff and Protracker it's more than ok. But forget about DTP or Raytracing...
Maybe stuff like MUI-Base works,too. Just if you want to keep track of your growing Blue-Ray/DVD colection for example.
Old 20 May 2015, 13:52   #8
Daedalus

Well, I only moved to Scotland about 18 months ago so I did the Irish Leaving Cert. It's not called that in the UK...

As for current compatibility with modern word processors - it's pretty limited. Even if you get Wordworth running it'll only import RTF files, and text only - no images. That might be fine since unexpanded you're not going to be able to load images anyway, but worth bearing in mind.

Disabling partitions is easy - hold down the two mouse buttons when you boot (or when Setpatch reboots during cold boot) and use the menu to disable partitions. In the shell, you can use the AddBuffers command to see what buffers are assigned, e.g. AddBuffers DH0: To reduce the number assigned to a partition however you need to use HDToolbox (or HDInstTools if that's what was used to set up your hard drive in the first place). Memory used is (number of buffers x partition blocksize) bytes. Just bear in mind that if the number's too low the drive access will slow right down.
Old 20 May 2015, 16:43   #9
vertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post
For low-res painting stuff and Protracker it's more than ok. But forget about DTP or Raytracing...
Its funny you should say that as remember using Imagine to do lots of 3d modelling. Leaving the Amiga for days while it rendered the picture/animation. It was accepted and expected to wait back then. Today I guess people expect instant results.
Old 20 May 2015, 21:00   #10
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
all the applications that comes with the A1200 magic pack work with only 2mb chip

Wordworth V 4 SE
Organiser V 1.1
Datastore V 1.1
TurboCalc V 3.5
Photogenics V 1.2 SE
Personal Paint V 6.4

scala mm300 and deluxe paint 4 aga also it works
Excellent list, thank you! I will try those out and see how I can make use of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBilgeRat View Post
back in my first trip through college I ran Final Copy II on an unexpanded A1200. And DPIV AGA. Its hard to remember, though, when I got my 030 board and never worried about memory again
I'm trying to be happy for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Start without Startup-Sequence save some memory. If a programm nearly need 2MB that could help.
Oooh, that is a good idea. Thanks, I'll give WW7 another shot that way maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post
Maybe stuff like MUI-Base works,too. Just if you want to keep track of your growing Blue-Ray/DVD colection for example.
Just looked up Protracker. It [ Show youtube player ].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Well, I only moved to Scotland about 18 months ago so I did the Irish Leaving Cert. It's not called that in the UK...

As for current compatibility with modern word processors - it's pretty limited. Even if you get Wordworth running it'll only import RTF files, and text only - no images. That might be fine since unexpanded you're not going to be able to load images anyway, but worth bearing in mind.

Disabling partitions is easy - hold down the two mouse buttons when you boot (or when Setpatch reboots during cold boot) and use the menu to disable partitions. In the shell, you can use the AddBuffers command to see what buffers are assigned, e.g. AddBuffers DH0: To reduce the number assigned to a partition however you need to use HDToolbox (or HDInstTools if that's what was used to set up your hard drive in the first place). Memory used is (number of buffers x partition blocksize) bytes. Just bear in mind that if the number's too low the drive access will slow right down.
Must have been interesting to be there for the recent elections. You're in eBay heaven either way as the postage is usually included over there you jammy so-and-so.

Thanks for the details, if the straight up two-mouse button trick doesn't do it I'll give that a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
Its funny you should say that as remember using Imagine to do lots of 3d modelling. Leaving the Amiga for days while it rendered the picture/animation. It was accepted and expected to wait back then. Today I guess people expect instant results.
Yes, I want to go back to these days when your computer gave you extra break times