English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 December 2009, 21:10   #21
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

@ Sune
What happened to you? Locked away for 10 years? I had a Spectrum but it was 9 years before the SNES was released in the UK. I had an Amiga in-between!

Post Amiga I got a SNES and SuperWildCard DX.

AFAIR it blew the Megadrive out of the water.

Only games I was ever the slightest bit jealous of was Micky Mouse & Sonic but the Megadrive owners were far more jealous of all my SNES collection. Excluding everything previously mentioned : Super StarWars, Super Empire Strikes back, Rock n Roll Racing.

If you want to see how superior the SNES was, just play Aero the Acrobat on both.
Old 27 December 2009, 21:42   #22
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

I too had a SNES and Super Wild Card DX.
Then one day I went to the local video rental store and saw they had rental Mega Drives.
I took one home with Splatterhouse 2 (great game) and AFAIR Super Hang On.
Yes, they had Sonic but I don't give a flying hoot about Sonic games.
However it didn't take me long to realize that I chose wisely when I got the SNES.
Now, if only Splatterhouse 2 was released for SNES....
Old 27 December 2009, 23:24   #23
Photon

plankton: Well, not many owned both consoles, maybe some owned zero - didn't matter as most of us got to play both kinds at a mate's place or rental etc.

My answer definitely has to be SNES. My bro had one, but he lived 140km away, my mate 1km away had a Megadrive, still the SNES got more playtime...

I guess I didn't 'get' Sonic... or, I should be honest, these games that require 'memorizing patterns on maps' have sucked since time immemorial. Or, they need to inspire more awe in order for me to spend that much time on them. And I don't recall any other addictive games on it.

And Neo-Geo were worse than both - unless you're into vertical shoot'em-ups and horizontal beat'em-ups only. No, I really couldn't imagine paying for a Neo-Geo, even for the Metal Slug series. They have excellent design, humor, and graphics, but the playability is standard so that it's "good enough in MAME" if I get the urge...

On SNES I played probably 50 different games, most playtime on SMB, Starfox, Contra III:Alien Rebels, Star Wars, Pocky & Rocky, Castlevania... if they hadn't underpowered it with that feeble CPU many cooler ideas would've been possible on it, I think.
Old 27 December 2009, 23:32   #24
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I loved my Mega Drive... then I played Smash TV on the SNES - the MD version was pretty awful in comparison.
Old 28 December 2009, 09:14   #25
Monsterland

As a kid I had both but definitely had more fun with the Megadrive in general if you cancel out the amount of time me and my friends spend on Streetfighter II on the SNES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
Most fun was from the SNES for sure. I could not afford Neo-Geo, which is what I really wanted in my teens.

I saved my ass off getting the Neo Geo and sold it again after about 6 months. This was my first experience with the fact that graphics is not the most important factor in videogaming. Most games where simply just not as good as the SNES and Sega classics and the price of the more okay'ish ones where ridiculous. In my humble opinion most SNK games are vastly overrated. Still it's a cool toy to have with an awesome controlstick, when I see one for cheap with some decent games I might buy one again just for the coolness of the console
Old 28 December 2009, 09:16   #26
Monsterland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I loved my Mega Drive... then I played Smash TV on the SNES - the MD version was pretty awful in comparison.

Yes, but did you play both the Shadowrun versions, just as a counter example
Old 28 December 2009, 10:58   #27
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterland View Post
As a kid I had both but definitely had more fun with the Megadrive
On which Megadrive exclusive titles?
Old 28 December 2009, 11:14   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Yes, but did you play both the Shadowrun
versions, just as a counter example
Heh, I played both versions and don't think that the MegaDrive version is that superior Both quite nice games and I think that the SNES version is even closer to the actual Shadowrun material than the MegaDrive version (which is more fun to play). Another example?
Old 28 December 2009, 12:07   #29
ami_junkie

What about the PC Engine? Anyone have one of those, I had one on import when it was bloody expensive but the games were amazing on it.

Old 28 December 2009, 13:00   #30
Peter
Still an Amiga user

A few more MegaDrive games...not available on the SNES

Red Zone, Bio-Hazard Battle, Road Rash II, Revenge of Shinobi, Truxton, Phelios
Old 28 December 2009, 15:08   #31
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ami_junkie View Post
What about the PC Engine? Anyone have one of those, I had one on import when it was bloody expensive but the games were amazing on it.
I have the PC Engine Duo. Great console, and some games looks/plays better than on the MD/SNES. Great machine für platformer, RPGs and 2D shooter.

For MD vs SNES:

I had both consoles, still have an MD. Sonic or Mario weren't important for me. I prefered to play games like Shining Force, Warsong, Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy IV+VI, Chrono Trigger etc.
Old 28 December 2009, 16:05   #32
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

@ Peter
But were they any good?
Old 28 December 2009, 16:10   #33
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Revenge of Shinobi for sure. Outstanding early MD title, far superior to the original Arcade game.

More MD exclusive and good games:

Landstalker
World of Illusion
Story of Thor
Dragon's Revenge
Contra Hard Corps
Castlevania Bloodlines

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 28 December 2009 at 16:17.
Old 29 December 2009, 02:40   #34
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I bought my first Megadrive because of Road Rash

Megadrive had some truly great exclusives but Snes even more and it was the console to own out of the two

I guess if you owned just the one then you stuck up for it, but it's likely i think that more Megadrive owners were jealous than those that owned Snes - and that probably says the most
Old 29 December 2009, 07:44   #35
Monsterland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
I guess if you owned just the one then you stuck up for it, but it's likely i think that more Megadrive owners were jealous than those that owned Snes - and that probably says the most
This is the kind of childish way of thinking that this forum full of adults really lack compared to a lot of other places on the net so I don't think that's the case.

As I said, I had both systems and it was the amiga that got most of my time but I just felt more of the games from the megadrive then the SNES'. I always prefered Sonic over Mario and Streets of Rage series are the best scrolling beat 'm ups ever written in my opinion. Also I don't like Zelda as much as most Nintendo fans just to name a nintendo franchise. Still the game I spend most time on a console ever have to be Streetfighter II turbo on the SNES so yeah.

Actually at the time I bought a SNES it was because I thought it would be a step up over the megadrive and technically it probably was but looking back, trying to look at it objective I just had more fun with the megadrive then I had with the SNES if you don't count SFII turbo. My brother was more attached to the SNES though so I guess sometimes it's just a case of different people different tastes.
Old 29 December 2009, 13:41   #36
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Don't forget the Megadrive outsold and also outlived the Snes by a few years. I owned both the Snes and Megadrive (still do) and i enjoy both systems but there is no denying the sheer popularity of the Megadrive compared to the Snes.

The Megadrive was released 2 years before and it's life ended a couple of years after the demise of the Snes too! This just tells me that most people preferred Sega at the time.
Old 29 December 2009, 14:21   #37
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Everyone I knew who had a Megadrive wanted to upgrade to a SNES and most did.
Old 29 December 2009, 16:51   #38
Jawsykilla
Linux Lover

Send a message via MSN to Jawsykilla
For me I had a megadrive with Streets Of Rage and Golden Axe being my most played games. My Cousins always had Nintendos whilst I had Segas. So I used to go to theirs every saturday and we would play Super Mario All Stars all day. And when they came round mine we would play Streets Of Rage or Golden Axe. So when I was a kid I didn't really care which one I liked but thinking back on it I can remember having more on The MD for some reason. Then I got a Saturn and the only decent game I had for that was Trash It. I Also played a lot of PC Games like Earthworm Jim and Worms Etc.
Old 29 December 2009, 17:12   #39
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
This is the kind of childish way of thinking that this forum full of adults really lack compared to a lot of other places on the net so I don't think that's the case.

Ah yes how incredibly childish of me, not to mention all you supposed adults on here

Last edited by Adropac2; 29 December 2009 at 17:22.
Old 30 December 2009, 01:51   #40
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Everyone I knew who had a Megadrive wanted to upgrade to a SNES and most did.
I really enjoy playing both the Snes and Megadrive, but i never really liked the music coming from most Snes games... and most speech effects were quite poor on the Megadrive.

I also remember Nintendo went a bit censorship mad with Snes games too but i suppose Nintendo has always had the "family gaming" title... Sega have never been afraid to show some gore, bad langauge and other adult themes etc.