English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 03 December 2016, 12:14   #1
Hauke

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Help to open-source SAS/C

Hi, does anybody have contact information for SAS, that could help release the source-code to the compiler (buyout or open-source)?
Or is in contact with anybody who does?
Old 03 December 2016, 12:23   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

The CPR debugger that came with it is worth more than the compiler.
Old 03 December 2016, 12:43   #3
Locutus

Seeing what a huge bureaucratic oldschool conservative company SAS is;

Good luck! :-D
Old 03 December 2016, 12:49   #4
tolkien
AmigaMan

I talked to one of the developers last year to only have access to the debugger info and is impossible. Sasc still uses some code from it so...
Old 03 December 2016, 15:37   #5
Hauke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
I talked to one of the developers last year to only have access to the debugger info and is impossible. Sasc still uses some code from it so...
Do you have any contact details, or can you pass on a message?
Old 03 December 2016, 16:45   #6
tolkien
AmigaMan

I was searching them in all the net. Finally I found one of them in reddit and talked.
Im trying to find the link.
Old 04 December 2016, 00:57   #7
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

There are various ways to contact them listed on their official site http://www.sas.com
Old 10 January 2017, 21:33   #8
midwan

I tried contacting them over Twitter a couple of months back regarding the same matter.
Initially they recommended I send in a request using their Feedback form on their website. I notified other people to do the same.

Some time later, a correspondent reached out to me. He mentioned that "they are still selling the product and could not open source it", which struck me as strange. When I proceeded to clarify, mentioning that the Amiga version is not for sale for several years now (but if it was, I'd gladly buy it), he went silent...
Old 10 January 2017, 21:42   #9
Hauke

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwan View Post
I tried contacting them over Twitter a couple of months back regarding the same matter.
Initially they recommended I send in a request using their Feedback form on their website. I notified other people to do the same.

Some time later, a correspondent reached out to me. He mentioned that "they are still selling the product and could not open source it", which struck me as strange. When I proceeded to clarify, mentioning that the Amiga version is not for sale for several years now (but if it was, I'd gladly buy it), he went silent...
I am afraid, sofar this is exactly what happened to me...
The support guy did not understand what I was on about and thought I only talked about the documentation...

I am not sure if we should start an online petition, or just buy billboards around their HQ... ("Guess what, we want to buy your product, but can't...!")

We need to find somebody that can bypass and go straight to the boss...

I've got Jens (from Indivision) involved, but no news yet on any progress...
Old 10 January 2017, 22:52   #10
Pat the Cat
Banned

I'll give 'em a call tomorrow. But writing to them might actually be better, in the sense of asking the right person.

SAS have a lot of represenstation globally and also a surprisingly long history going back to the 1970s (maybe ealier). Mostly they operate out of N Carolina in the USA, and Marlow in the UK.

I doubt I'll be able to persuade them by snapping my fingers, but I could ask them what their issues would be about releasing the the Amiga package, which is what people are really interested in.

If they won't, there's nothing I can do to make them. But they might trade. They were NEVER cheap. I doubt very much they would open source, but they might be OK with a distrubition deal for the old one, bearing in mind it's very old and people can not expect to get support for it.

Part of the issue is that they are set up to handle technical queries about their products. Their managements are carefully isolated from the telephone system. If people want postal correspondence addresses, PM me and I'll let them know who and where to write to.

Last edited by Pat the Cat; 10 January 2017 at 23:02.
Old 10 January 2017, 23:15   #11
Pat the Cat
Banned

You can look them up yourself, just by typing the company number into Companies House, but make sure you are writing to an ACTIVE officer and not a resigned one.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...16437/officers
Old 11 January 2017, 15:58   #12
Hauke

@Pat the Cat: Thank you! Let us know what they said...

I think, other than knowing somebody, we will need a concerted effort from all of us.
A mailing campaign or something like that to get anywhere...

If it was a matter of buying the rights, I would be happy to organize a kickstarter compaign to raise the money... but without a price tag this is pointless...
Old 20 April 2017, 04:53   #13
wXR

Who are the specific individuals which control this right now?
Old 20 April 2017, 11:18   #14
Hauke

It is still the SAS Institute, which is a privately held company. They have publicly stated to dislike open-source.
Also, they do not intend to sell the rights or reissue any versions io the compiler...
Old 20 April 2017, 12:09   #15
gulliver
BoingBagged

The problem is that SAS became a huge multi billion company with lots of branches. So it is very hard to reach the desition makers over there.

The Amiga code is not used in any of their current products. The problem is more the internal regulations and legal burocracy that making this product open source leads them. On these mega corporations, any sourcecode of their products is guarded under a seven key safe and to take something out from over there is a lot of work.
Old 20 April 2017, 17:09   #16
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
The problem is that SAS became a huge multi billion company with lots of branches. So it is very hard to reach the desition makers over there.
SAS is supposedly the largest private software company in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
The Amiga code is not used in any of their current products. The problem is more the internal regulations and legal burocracy that making this product open source leads them. On these mega corporations, any sourcecode of their products is guarded under a seven key safe and to take something out from over there is a lot of work.
The SAS/C compiler is still available.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/sasc/

SAS likes to sell support so the 3 systems it is available for are probably because of customers who pay for support. The compiler frontend is probably still using some of the same code the Amiga SAS/C compiler is using (shared by all targets). The 68k/Amiga backend code would be of limited use by itself. IMO, it would be better to fund efforts to improve more modern compilers with sources available like vbcc and GCC for the 68k/Amiga. Open source does *not* guarantee development (it just makes it easier in some ways).

Last edited by matthey; 20 April 2017 at 18:03.
Old 20 April 2017, 18:02   #17
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauke View Post
Hi, does anybody have contact information for SAS, that could help release the source-code to the compiler (buyout or open-source)?
Or is in contact with anybody who does?
I worked for SAS as a developer and then development manager for 7 years. I couldn't even find the code let alone figure out who to ask about getting it. SAS have very strict policies about this sort of thing that makes what you're trying to do virtually impossible. Dr Goodnight never sells IP in my experience.

EDIT: I believe the lead dev for SAS/C (Lattice C) still works at SAS.

Last edited by plasmab; 20 April 2017 at 18:26.
Old 20 April 2017, 19:17   #18
idrougge

On the other hand, the SAS/C developer(s) did offer some after-market support by releasing patches even after the product was discontinued, so there are some cracks in the SAS wall.
Old 20 April 2017, 20:01   #19
plasmab
Banned

Well i still have a lot of friends at SAS i could try and make some enquiries but I wouldnt recommend holding your breath. TBH porting code to vbcc would be time better spent.
Old 20 April 2017, 20:26   #20
plasmab
Banned

Actually. In my experience of SAS/C the compiler is pretty compatible... its the SAS make utility that we would really like a port of? Would it make more sense for someone to write a clone of the make/build tools so that you could drive a build with vbcc?

I haven't been away from SAS long enough that I wouldn't get my ass sued if i wrote such a tool unfortunately. (EDIT: Still very much under NDA).