English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 28 September 2010, 15:46   #1
chrispy

Advice Needed On Black 1200 Project

I've stripped apart this horrendously yellow A1200 case I had and have decided to use this over my white enclosures for my Black 1200 project. I've used what's called a plastic spray (normally used on car plastics as it works it's way into the platic and will not wear off).

What i'd like to know is should I clear lacquer it when finished? I've got a lovely even matt finish on it as it stands (both inside and out) but want to make sure it won't scratch resulting in me having to spray it again.

Any advice would be very much welcomed. TIA.

Also, I was wondering, if I fit in a 250gb ide 2 1/2 inch drive how easy would it be to transfer all of my files over from my 4gb CF card that sits in there right now?

Last edited by chrispy; 28 September 2010 at 18:03.
Old 28 September 2010, 18:48   #2
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
Sounds very interesting on the black case etc would be good to see some pics when done, oh and where abouts in Wales are you?
Old 28 September 2010, 18:58   #3
chrispy

Abergavenny area my friend. I'm taking a load of photo's to document it from the ground up.
Old 28 September 2010, 19:00   #4
chrispy

Here's just one to start with.

Old 28 September 2010, 19:03   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Is it not possible to coat it with some sort of PVA glue or the likes to keep the matt finish but make it scratch proof? Without lowering the edge detail.
Old 28 September 2010, 19:14   #6
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Abergavenny area my friend. I'm taking a load of photo's to document it from the ground up.
cool not to far then im in Deeside you gonna go to the retro computer fair in Blackpool? (nov 5/6) im hoping to but waiting for work to confirm i have it off :/

and thanks for pic i am thinking of doing this to a 1200 further down the line, there was also a chap on ebay in turkey who sold the odd unit he had sprayed and made up

Chris
Old 28 September 2010, 19:43   #7
chrispy

Nah I won't be able to make the show due to health issues unfortunately. I'm about as mobile as the severn bridge lol. This spray I used to do the job with is superb. It actually absorbs into the plastic making it permanent so I was told and it's easy to apply.
Old 28 September 2010, 20:00   #8
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

it looks great in the pic look forward to one with the cdtv keyboard fitted, sorry you cant make the show though mate, will try and snap some good pics though

chris
Old 28 September 2010, 20:13   #9
Fabie
Banned

I think that CDTV keyboards are sentenced to the extinction like the dinosaurs
oh god please salve that keyboards
Old 28 September 2010, 20:28   #10
chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck1200 View Post
it looks great in the pic look forward to one with the cdtv keyboard fitted, sorry you cant make the show though mate, will try and snap some good pics though

chris
The last good computer show I actually went to was the Amiga show in Earls Court London in the early 90's. I went ape-shit there and spent about £300 but all I can remember buying was a decent mouse and a Cumana external drive for my 500+ lol.

Appologies for killing yet another CDTV keyboard, I fear they are becoming extinct now. I had to buy a whole system to get the keyboard so the rest of it will be on Ebay shortly after.
Old 28 September 2010, 20:51   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
It actually absorbs into the plastic making it permanent so I was told and it's easy to apply.
If it absorbs into the plastic, then I think that should make it reasonably scratch resistant as far as affecting the appearance is concerned, so you needn't worry about applying anything else to protect it.

By the way, it looks great!
Old 28 September 2010, 21:00   #12
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Quote:
The last good computer show I actually went to was the Amiga show in Earls Court London in the early 90's. I went ape-shit there and spent about £300 but all I can remember buying was a decent mouse and a Cumana external drive for my 500+ lol.

Appologies for killing yet another CDTV keyboard, I fear they are becoming extinct now. I had to buy a whole system to get the keyboard so the rest of it will be on Ebay shortly after.
Yeah it still amazes me when i look back at some of the prices in old computer mag's etc i would never have been able to upgrade an amiga back then :/
Old 28 September 2010, 21:34   #13
chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
If it absorbs into the plastic, then I think that should make it reasonably scratch resistant as far as affecting the appearance is concerned, so you needn't worry about applying anything else to protect it.

I'm loving the finish on it. The photo does not do it justice in any way, shape or form and it looks like it's created a hard shell around the case. It's staying matt like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck1200 View Post
Yeah it still amazes me when i look back at some of the prices in old computer mag's etc i would never have been able to upgrade an amiga back then :/
I remember I always wanted one of them scanners to be able to scan documents for my Amiga but they were like the price of an Amiga again. I got my first Amiga 500 frommy mums catalogue, I never could have afforded one otherwise.
Old 28 September 2010, 21:54   #14
chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post

This is how it looked before the paint :-

Those eagle eyed members will notice i'm a huge Judge Dredd fan. That's an exact replica of the one worn by Sly Stalone in the 1996 movie, boy did that stink.
Old 28 September 2010, 22:05   #15
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
This is how it looked before the paint
I don't blame you at all for wanting to spray that case. And what a transformation!
Old 28 September 2010, 22:23   #16
chrispy

Ok, the lighting in my office is well shite so the pictures are'nt done justice really but here goes :-

The trapdoor hasn't been painted yet. The reason being i'm planning ahead for future expansion and i'm adding a ventilation hole there where the square (if you can call it that) is marked out.

And the boy-racer mesh to cover the hole :-

Last edited by chrispy; 28 September 2010 at 22:39.
Old 28 September 2010, 22:37   #17
prowler
Global Moderator

That's a fantastic job so far, chrispy!

If it were me. I would be inclined to paint the trapdoor so it matches the case, but without butchering it by cutting a ventilation hole in it, and then just leave it off.
Old 28 September 2010, 22:40   #18
chrispy

I've got the bug that's for sure. I may even paint up the other case I have spare and offer it to anyone here who wants it for postage. Let me see what's left over first.
Old 28 September 2010, 22:46   #19
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
cool paint job

I`m with prowler on painting the trap door cover now, then it will match the rest of the case, even if you are going to butcher it later
Old 28 September 2010, 22:57   #20
chrispy

Oops, too late I've got a couple of them laying around anyway.

Yet another question (as you've all no doubt guessed by now i'm full of them), is there anyone here a dab hand at creating a new logo for where I took the A1200 badge off? I need two doing and i'm quite shit at stuff like that. Well, actually i'm quite shit at most things.

Last edited by chrispy; 29 September 2010 at 00:46.