English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 16 May 2020, 17:54   #101
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Full list of bugs and how to fix them is quite badly needed. It's about time we can build a unified fixed version containing everything.
I can try merging your+my fixes...
Old 16 May 2020, 18:26   #102
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
I can try merging your+my fixes...
You still have them?

I think he's done lots of them himself as I published textual details for the ones we found for years.

http://thalion.exotica.org.uk/games/ambermoon/bugs.html

This page will get an update next week with technical details and hopefully diff files for each bug. Plus all the others found since

Last edited by alexh; 16 May 2020 at 18:48.
Old 16 May 2020, 23:00   #103
hexaae
Bug hunter

Sure. I still have all my fixes. We can try to unpack all the fixes and merge the same modified files (diffs) in a final version. This for each of the modified files.
Old 29 May 2020, 09:44   #104
MetalliC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
All known patches I have documented, and cross-referenced to conversations here and on other forums plus emails between you, I and Metallic (guy who created the tools to patch the files). I'll make a page on the Thalion Webshrine live next week with full technical details of all bugs I know about. Including the diff files and all the tools. I've been sitting on all this for too long (in fear that there would be lots and lots of different versions floating around).
wow, these fixes still was not published ?
btw, hi
Old 04 June 2020, 16:26   #105
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Sorry, no. It was a lot more work than I imagined.

I've got all the textual descriptions of each bug, sorted by who discovered them, with cross references to the original discussions about them, either on this forum or emails to me plus any other technical details I had. This is uploaded and can be read now.

I started adding the missing information, which Ambermoon file the bug is in, what sub-file it is in (after extraction) and what binary change was.

I also got sidetracked trying to streamline the decrypt/extract/depack/edit/insert/re-encrypt cycle for Windows/Linux rather than use the Amiga tools via WinUAE that I had.

I am wondering if git-hub rather than my website might be a better place to publish so the changes can be tracked? Not sure how well that handles binary files though.

I'll make something available very soon.

Last edited by alexh; 04 June 2020 at 18:59.
Old 04 June 2020, 18:02   #106
Washac

Quote:
Sorry, no. It was a lot more work than I imagined.

I've got all the textual descriptions of each bug, sorted by who discovered them, with cross references to the original discussions about them, either on this forum or emails to me plus any other technical details I had. This is uploaded and can be read now.

I started adding the missing information, which Ambermoon file the bug is in, what sub-file it is in (after extraction) and what binary change was.

I also got sidetracked trying to streamline the decrypt/depack/extract/edit/insert/re-encrypt cycle for Windows/Linux rather than use the Amiga tools via WinUAE that I had.

I am wondering if git-hub rather than my website might be a better place to publish so the changes can be tracked? Not sure how well that handles binary files though.

I'll make something available very soon.
Wow thanks for all the work
Old 05 June 2020, 12:43   #107
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
For having what, a quit option ? It's already there. There is nothing whdload would bring, apart using more memory and/or messing the display while doing file i/o.

WHDload patches bring a unified approach to loading games on some emulators (FS-UAE, Amiberry for example) ... so even the most system friendly and easy to fix games should be considered for WHDLoad imho.

At the end of the day, it gets more people playing the game, and all the better if all the patches you guys have worked on are combined into the game, even if the original (unpatched) disks were used to install, as it gives users the best possible experience of the game as it's meant to be.

Just my 2 cents
Old 05 June 2020, 12:59   #108
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
WHDload patches bring a unified approach to loading games on some emulators (FS-UAE, Amiberry for example)
How is that? They can launch WHDload direct from the emulator GUI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
it gives users the best possible experience of the game as it's meant to be.
The overhead of WHDLoad can result in higher RAM or CPU requirements than the original. Ok for emulation, bad for real hardware.
Old 05 June 2020, 13:02   #109
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
How is that? They can launch WHDload direct from the emulator GUI?

exactly that. Self-contained booting of LHA files with whdload .slave files contained within. This includes being 'baked in' to packages like RetroPie which are used by non-Amiga savvy persons.

Quote:
The overhead of WHDLoad can result in higher RAM or CPU requirements than the original. Ok for emulation, bad for real hardware.

That's fine - for real hardware with lower memory i am not saying the original isnt a better choice. However that doesnt stop the existing WHDLoad slave having a purpose (or other benefits) is all i am saying, as seems to be implied above.
Old 05 June 2020, 13:29   #110
meynaf
son of 68k

Neutral (no-op) slaves exist for software that does not really need patching. Just use that.
Old 05 June 2020, 13:40   #111
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Neutral (no-op) slaves exist for software that does not really need patching. Just use that.
That doesnt work for the automatic booting from Amiberry, FS-UAE etc. since they will calibrate the emulator according to the specific game.

I really dont understand why there is so much objection to this - let the users choose is all I say. I've explained the reasoning already.

It doesnt really matter anyway, since the slave already exists.
Old 05 June 2020, 18:09   #112
MetalliC

Quote:

superb. ~20 years ago I've fixed iirc about 20 bugs in this game, wondering how many was discovered and fixed later.
Old 05 June 2020, 18:35   #113
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
i have found one that is removing access to a big part of the story. and another one that makes unavaible a part in a big cave.
Old 05 June 2020, 18:52   #114
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
i have found one that is removing access to a big part of the story. and another one that makes unavaible a part in a big cave.
Let me guess... Valdyn and beast cave ?
Old 05 June 2020, 20:02   #115
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Post technical details please.
Old 05 June 2020, 22:28   #116
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Post technical details please.
Already done, and in details here on the EAB forum. You asked me technical details too a 2nd time years ago, this is the 3rd time Alex,

I will search again those details on eab when i get a bit of time for that.
Old 05 June 2020, 22:31   #117
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Let me guess... Valdyn and beast cave ?
Beast cave ? Mhhh .... Beast cave you mean the under cave under the old fart house ?

Valdyn was in AlexH list.

I have fixed the huge spider encounter, and also the dwarf story part.

There were text formatting errors due to the tools they used to put the texts.

Once fixed, you gets those missing parts
Old 05 June 2020, 22:36   #118
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Beast cave ? Mhhh .... Beast cave you mean the under cave under the old fart house ?

Valdyn was in AlexH list.

I have fixed the huge spider encounter, and also the dwarf story part.

There were text formatting errors due to the tools they used to put the texts.

Once fixed, you gets those missing parts
All these fixes are among the ones i did.
I fixed everything that was in text files, only fixes i don't have are in other data files and the code itself.
Old 06 June 2020, 08:07   #119
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I will search again those details on eab when i get a bit of time for that.
No need. I thought you'd found something new. Everything you have posted here on EAB has been captured, analysed, some were not real bugs due to you using the Amberworld tools which were buggy and some where not real because (at the time) you didn't understand the file format completely.

One or two you posted were real bugs in v1.07 and are now in the list of bugs with fixes I'm compiling with the dates they were discovered, who discovered them and what the fix is.

Some that you posted were real, but had already been discovered and fixed by someone else when you posted about them.

Last edited by alexh; 06 June 2020 at 08:35.
Old 06 June 2020, 10:48   #120
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
No need. I thought you'd found something new. Everything you have posted here on EAB has been captured, analysed, some were not real bugs due to you using the Amberworld tools which were buggy and some where not real because (at the time) you didn't understand the file format completely.

One or two you posted were real bugs in v1.07 and are now in the list of bugs with fixes I'm compiling with the dates they were discovered, who discovered them and what the fix is.

Some that you posted were real, but had already been discovered and fixed by someone else when you posted about them.

No, i have redone the work from 0 with MetalliC tools. and the problem with Amberworld tools were gone for good.