English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 June 2017, 14:16   #61
Allen1

Hi there Akira,

I'm sorry that your USB stick bit the dust when you accidentally plugged the floppy power cable the wrong way into your Gotek, that is all to easy to do and as you mentioned in your other thread the wire colours do not help.

Thank you posting the problem and letting us all know that the Gotek itself survived and it will help a lot of us folk when we do the same thing ourselves.

Cheers,
Allen.
Old 05 June 2017, 17:05   #62
Akira
Black Lives Matter

Yeah I think the best way to avoid this issue is building a cable that has no connection to the 12V line. Just removing the cable from its socket and taping it should be enough.
It should be possible to fix this error I think too, by putting protection between the 5V line and the USB's 5V. You'd have to trace and add a component, but it's possible. Why is this not the case from factory is beyond me. I guess they assumed all power ports are standard (the Amstrad CPC 6128 has the voltages inverted for example!).

Anyway, it sucks about selector.adf not being shareable for now, but at least the package contains a good starter pack of games for those with 4GB sticks. I will re-upload the compilation soon.
Old 05 June 2017, 17:54   #63
idrougge

I think it's a safe assumption that an industry standard connector works according to the standard. Blame Amstrad, not Gotek.
Old 05 June 2017, 18:49   #64
Akira
Black Lives Matter

Sure, I agree, but also accidents are possible. Including a protection would be rather easy.
It's a bit of an oversight.
Old 05 July 2017, 22:27   #65
Higgy

Akira - I have been trying this over the past week, but I have only gone back and read the Forum to see the issues. I was wondering why my Selector broke after adding a directory of AMIGA Format coverdisks to my other Gotek USB.

So do I have this understood correctly:
For your collection to work it will need to be a .img (etc) image file of your USB stick. Unzipping contents to a stick won't work.
If the USB stick is altered in anyway it will break Selector.adf

So it is important if people are planning on having a big Selector.adf saved config, to add everything (.adf) to the USB stick first. This bug is a real shame as most people continue to add additional .adf's to their stick (demos / homebrew).
Old 05 July 2017, 22:50   #66
Akira
Black Lives Matter

You can unzip the contest to a stick but what won't work is the SELECTOR file. Even if you copy mine and don't alter it, it will not work. Or so it seems.

This is a real shame, and I hope Jeff (HxC) can fix this on the HxC firmware, but we can't do shit with Cortex anyway, since it's abandoned.
Old 21 July 2017, 12:35   #67
Higgy

@Akira - Have you seen the new Gotek firmware? - https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy

If you have any suggestions the developer might be able to implement them. Hopefully this will become the Cortex we hoped for, and we can use your Compilation!

It is very early days (hours!) with the firmware, so I don't think many people have 'flashed' yet.
Old 21 July 2017, 16:08   #68
Akira
Black Lives Matter

Wow I didn't know about this! Have not seen it mentioned here.
But wait, does this work on Amiga? I see no mention of what formats it is compatible with.

[edit] seems like it is multiplatform! I might flash it and see what happens.

Last edited by Akira; 21 July 2017 at 16:24.
Old 23 July 2017, 06:58   #69
fl0PPsy

Is this compilation still available?

I checked the mentioned folder on the FTP server and couldnt see it.

Old 23 July 2017, 08:22   #70
ransom1122

No real point when you cant load the games unless you manually reasign eadh adf to each slot.
Old 24 July 2017, 17:29   #71
Akira
Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl0PPsy View Post
Is this compilation still available?

I checked the mentioned folder on the FTP server and couldnt see it.
Yes, I am sorry, I took it down while this is sorted. I am waiting for a new version of the FlashFloppy firmware selector to come up using proper filename recognition, already been talking to the dev about it!

When that comes up I'll re-upload.
Old 24 July 2017, 17:51   #72
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Wow I didn't know about this! Have not seen it mentioned here.
But wait, does this work on Amiga? I see no mention of what formats it is compatible with.

[edit] seems like it is multiplatform! I might flash it and see what happens.

Interesting indeed! Have you tried this yet? I've ordered a Gotek drive to give it a go, would like to hear your experience with it as the github is still sparse.

Thanks!
Old 24 July 2017, 17:57   #73
Akira
Black Lives Matter

Also good news on the HxC side, it now supports playlist making from textfile and it might be that we can finally share playlists. I will test all this soon and report back!

I couldn't install FlashFloppy this weekend, I might do it this week while recording a guide to post on Youtube.

[edit] We can now share playlists using the HxC firmware's new selector disk. I'll be redoing this soon to try to support HxC and FlashFloppy.
HxC announcement: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=659

Last edited by Akira; 24 July 2017 at 20:34.
Old 31 July 2017, 23:30   #74
Akira
Black Lives Matter

First post updated!
I re-uploaded the file thanks to current developments in Gotek firmware.

What's new?
- Removed support for Cortex firmware. Sorry, it wasn't even working, so good riddance.
- Supporting the latest version and tools of the HxC firmware.
- Added support for FlashFloppy.

Please let me know if you run into issues again.

I added one more file to the directory, for those who already downloaded the ADFs previously, just so you update the other files and don't have to download the whole collection again:

~Uploads/Akira/Akira's Gotek Games pack UPDATE 2.0.zip

Make sure you delete everything else you have in the root of your USB except the ADF folders, and copy the new stuff over there and follow the instructions detailed on the first post of this thread.

NOTE: FlashFloppy users, please let me know if this is working for you or if you are running into weird issues (like not being able to boot into 000, or the 000 AUTOBOOT image not detecting your Gotek).

[edit] so far my testing is positive with FlashFloppy, no issues, all games showed ul3 in the playlist! Please let me know your results, I hope this works now.

Last edited by Akira; 01 August 2017 at 05:16.
Old 01 August 2017, 10:20   #75
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
[EDIT]
I also included with the package the latest version of Jeff's HxC configuration tool. This works in WINDOWS ONLY so far, maybe other versions will come later. So yeah, you need a Windows machine (Tested on Win 7 only)
Very odd, i use it on Linux every days...

To get it and build : https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_file_selector
sdl folder.
Old 01 August 2017, 17:03   #76
Akira
Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
Very odd, i use it on Linux every days...
No need for eye rolling/sarcasm, the binaries I downloaded from here, that you uploaded, only contain Windows executables.
Not everyone builds stuff anyway, or has Windows. So maybe include binaries for other platforms with the package the next time you upload to EAB, so nobody has to be guessing or fiddling.
Old 01 August 2017, 18:16   #77
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
No need for eye rolling/sarcasm, the binaries I downloaded from here, that you uploaded, only contain Windows executables.
Not everyone builds stuff anyway, or has Windows. So maybe include binaries for other platforms with the package the next time you upload to EAB, so nobody has to be guessing or fiddling.
"to be guessing or fidding", mhhh, no, sure no need . Just read the readme.txt in the zip i have uploaded, this is explained for the Linux version.

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d..._hxc_gotek.zip

I will never distribute a binary for Linux, this is nonsense for me. How many distributions is there ? Should i make a binary for each of one ? (which architecture ? x64/x86/ARM ? Which libc version ? All compiled in static ? please no ). If you are on Linux, i guess that you are able to do a make from sources and this is the best distribution method for this platform.
Old 06 August 2017, 20:17   #78
Higgy

Akira - I used the Update ZIP. Over wrote files on my USB stick, then used the .batch file on Win7 to generate the list.
It showed some fails as it ran, then on the Amiga the ADF's start on F. Something like slot 213. It jumps from 000 to 213.
Maybe I will redownload the new complete version.

By the way new FlashFloppy update out.
Old 07 August 2017, 16:54   #79
Akira
Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
then on the Amiga the ADF's start on F. Something like slot 213. It jumps from 000 to 213.
Maybe I will redownload the new complete version.
I may have renamed some files, yeah.
I managed to put on myUSB files from 0 o F so there probably is a renaming issue. Let me know!
Old 13 August 2017, 20:39   #80
Higgy

Quote:
I may have renamed some files, yeah.
I managed to put on myUSB files from 0 o F so there probably is a renaming issue. Let me know!
I downloaded the full 0.2 and built the list and it booted 001 so all is good
I even used the newer Autoboot 0.3.? Something like that.
Out of interest where is the 'list' stored, in the Autoboot or .cfg ?